Archived Better Latte than never

Status
Not open for further replies.

RistrettoShots

Previous Starbucks TL/Coffee Master, ASM, now Mana
I never expected my first job to last for 3 stores and 6 years, but I'm incredibly thankful that is has. Even though I've had some real shitty times with the company.. I wouldnt be who I am or grown as professionally or personally as I have without the skills, memories & growth that Target has given me. From prepping pizzas in food avenue to pushing cafs in pfresh and then finally getting crosstrained in Starbucks(my old tl always makes fun of me because at first I told him I wanted to stay in food ave) My first day at Starbucks I was terrified. I was this quiet shy little girl and Starbucks broke me out of my shell. It turned me into the confident leader I am today and 18 year old me would be in AWE of the person I am today. Starbucks opened up so much opportunity for me. Certified Barista Basics, Barista Trainer, AST/LS Lead training. I learned Latte Art on my own and became 1 out of 2 certified Coffee Masters for Target stores in my group. My Sbux DM & RM approved me for the barista championships but Target wouldn't allow participation. I was the recipient for our stores first ever you award, I promoted to TL, flipped a store with a ton of compliance issues, and won Store team of the quarter from Starbucks out of 200+ stores. I trained multiple team leads for the district, I led holiday conference calls, and I got sent out to other stores to flip them. I was lucky enough to then get the experience of opening a new store and worked alongside the greatest leadership team I know of. I never got the chance to promote out of Starbucks although I was constantly told this was in the plans. I always asked for feedback and went above and beyond running front end and helping with c&s & opu...but was never given anything I could do better....yet never got a 3 as a lead. I'm disappointed in Target and In my leadership. Pay your people what they are worth! How do you start new leads over a dollar more than your district trainers? There's no reason I couldn't have grown with this company but they put me on the backburner for over a year, even when I had a backfill ready to go. I wasn't even looking for another job...I was reached out to by another licensee and I figured what the heck let's see what it's about. Well guess what. I was offered a management position running a licensed Starbucks at a large University near me. Amazing salary pay, great benefits, & CRAZY room for growth. I called my SD and let him know as soon as I could and he seemed understanding and genuinely like he would miss me. But then the next day we talk and he refuses to post me on the new schedule even when I say I'm available for 2 more weeks...then we have a visit with our DM and SrVP and our DM always comes up and says hi to me but he completely AVOIDED the FOS. then the day after..SD buys bagels for all the team leads and doesn't tell me until AFTER they had a meeting w/o me and tells me to go get a bagel he "didnt know I was here ". Just shady. I had put in for vacation way back for the 21-28th and was told even though I offered to stay I'm not needed and I'll lose the vacation. My HR tl snuck me in a week of vacay. But WHY after 6 years and 3 stores am I being treated like this? Just goes to show I made the right decision leaving. 5 shifts left. I can do this.

Good for you for pursuing you dreams and not letting a sure thing tie you down and hold you back.
A wise man once told me to always take the high road (I seldom do). It’s good you’re voicing your frustrations on this forum as many do (rightly so).
However don’t speak ill of your leadership/peers/team at your new job. It makes you sound weak.
Once again congratulations, and best of luck!

I would never go into another job like that. I've learned alot from Target and some of the worst times I had taught me some of the most valuable lessons. I'm taking everything I've learned and applying in elsewhere. Im going into this next job knowing exactly what I want and where to go and nothings stopping me from getting there.

They're jealous that you're leaving for a better place, Krissfak.
Target dangles carrots, hands out fancy titles & faint praise like stickers to kindergartners.
It's Target's loss but it always has been, yet they'll never learn.
Head up, shoulders back & shake the dust from your shoes as you exit.

Your “leaders” are treating you like that because they are upset that they are losing you. They strung you along promising to promote you, but kept you where you were because you were going a great job and they couldn’t replace you. Now they have to try to replace you, plus they don’t have you to promote into another area either, and instead of kicking themselves they are taking it out on you. Glad that you are leaving for a great position with Starbucks. Congrats and good luck!

I guess management still thinks of you as that "quite, shy, little girl" that you were when you were hired, somehow, inexplicably, completely overlooking your many accomplishments.

Eventually, everyone leaves Target either voluntarily or involuntarily. The overwhelming number of former TMs who have left for new jobs are so much more happy now.

Congratulations and good luck in that new job!

Good thing you got out. It sounds like you have a much better opportunity now.

In many cases, not all, the ones who remain are bitter and have no motivation to move on to bigger and better things.

Thank you everyone for the congrats and feedback! I really hope to kick ass in my new role and I'm really excited/scared/nervous to start. Target is all I've known and there's still alot about my new position that I'm unsure about. I don't know which store I'll be managing yet...there's actually 3 on campus including a Starbucks truck! I also don't know much about dress code and when I asked they didn't give me all the info..only asked what size shirt I am. I'm trying not to be annoying by asking too many questions. I still have a few weeks until I start so I'm sure they'll give me all the info I need. I got this. 3 shifts left at Target !!! God I'm going to miss my team & they're really upset that I'm leaving 🙁

I worked 13 days straight did just under 60 hours last week. My shift supervisor quit (I'm supposed to have 2) my boss is leaving next month and apparently does not have a replacement atm... um yeah. I'm kicking ass though..while getting my ass kicked. Ive pushed alot of new routines with my team and sales are up 10% from last week (this is my 4th week) Had a visit with my new DM today (he knew my previous DM and seemed pretty impressed with how knowledgeable I was but I could tell he's going to be a tough one ) and guest experience is a huge issue here. I can go on and on but man.. oh man.

I worked 13 days straight did just under 60 hours last week. My shift supervisor quit (I'm supposed to have 2) my boss is leaving next month and apparently does not have a replacement atm... um yeah. I'm kicking ass though..while getting my ass kicked. Ive pushed alot of new routines with my team and sales are up 10% from last week (this is my 4th week) Had a visit with my new DM today (he knew my previous DM and seemed pretty impressed with how knowledgeable I was but I could tell he's going to be a tough one ) and guest experience is a huge issue here. I can go on and on but man.. oh man.
Take the hours & make it happen. You will succeed & get your own store real quick:)

Last edited:
Im taking the hours but 9-12 hour days are quite rough when they're going back to back to back. I'm salary for crying out loud.. i don't think boss lady realizes how long I actually end up working. It's a good thing I have no social life 😅 Essentially I have my own store as I oversee daily operations at one location here on campus. The "manager" (my boss) oversees all the locations on campus (2 storefronts, hospital & truck). I have 20 something team members at my location. My DM told bosslady he wants me to be included in the PPV for holiday at ALL locations here which I find very interesting..as far as I'm aware no other assistant managers will be involved in this and bosslady will be gone by then...but I'm excited to get to really explore each stores strengths & weaknesses. I will literally be spending a whole day visiting each store.

Im taking the hours but 9-12 hour days are quite rough when they're going back to back to back. I'm salary for crying out loud.. i don't think boss lady realizes how long I actually end up working. It's a good thing I have no social life 😅 Essentially I have my own store as I oversee daily operations at one location here on campus. The "manager" (my boss) oversees all the locations on campus (2 storefronts, hospital & truck). I have 20 something team members at my location. My DM told bosslady he wants me to be included in the PPV for holiday at ALL locations here which I find very interesting..as far as I'm aware no other assistant managers will be involved in this and bosslady will be gone by then...but I'm excited to get to really explore each stores strengths & weaknesses. I will literally be spending a whole day visiting each store.
Good for you! I have no doubt you will totally win over your new DM!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back