Archived Bike Service Plans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why bother? People bring bikes they wrecked in for us to repair and we end up doing it because "BOLD!"

edit: Actually, why not? May as well make some cash out of it.

Never seen it. I guess it could be done. Most repairs can be done, provided the frame isn't bent, under the normal return policy.

came through recv today--- now they are asking for trouble. guest already abuse their bikes and expect us to fix them. now break a bike get a new one. smh

We will offer 2 yr. service plans. This is suppose to start late June. There will be four tiers starting at $4.00 up to $25.00 if I remember right. The price of the service plan will be determined by the price of the bike. It will cover certain things all of which I can remember is spokes (sorry), but it covers like six or seven things.
What threw me over the wall was when I read further down that we will replace the bike or offer a gift card that covers the cost of the whole bike if it can't be repaired. Then to me it's like why the heck cover certain things when the whole bike can be returned at the price it was bought for? I'm thinking I skipped something, but it seems odd that all I would have to pay was 4 bucks and return the bike in a year or two and just get another. Can you guys just imagine what will happen at Christmas time?!?! o_O I believe that there will be more information around June 20th.

WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT!

How do guest redeem these?! Tell me they dont do the returns in stores. I hope they are just like regular ones. Also I can see problems with guests shipping them out.

Yep guests return the bike to the store, and get a giftcard with the amount of the purchase price. Past 90 days (120 for RedCard purchases, there are no "repair" options, only full refunds, as far as I can tell.

Ok they need to figure out a way to offset the shortage. At our store bikes just go get crushed. Atleast recycle them.

There was an urgent news a while back (several months ago) about bike recycling. I'll have to see if I can find it next time I work bikes.

Ok they need to figure out a way to offset the shortage. At our store bikes just go get crushed. Atleast recycle them.

They are suppose to be recycled not thrown away. Frames are to go on a pallet, shrunk wrapped and have a grey 'metal recycling' sticker placed on the pallet. This pallet then goes out on your sweep truck to the DC. Anything metal is to be recycled this way, not thrown out or put in a open top dumpster (broken file cabinets, metal fixtures, unusable shelving, etc).

Apologies for my previous post on this thread as to the pricing of the plans.

Considering that the standard life of a bike bought in a place like Target is about 3 years, this should be interesting.
They are going to need to start training their bike builders a whole lot better than they do now or there will be a lot of money going out the door.

The thing I don't get is why are brakes covered? They will get worn down if you ride a lot. That is normal use. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Considering that the standard life of a bike bought in a place like Target is about 3 years, this should be interesting.
They are going to need to start training their bike builders a whole lot better than they do now or there will be a lot of money going out the door.

Yeah in general I'm not impressed with the Target Bike Builders... They do an OKAY job, but I notice (and guests do too), mistakes often -- like brakes that aren't put on right (or loose), and other small things.

The thing I don't get is why are brakes covered? They will get worn down if you ride a lot. That is normal use. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Well, its not really a huge fix IIRC, so they just bring it in and get it tweaked. Even if a guest brings it in once to get brakes fixed, it doesn't cost an arm and a leg or anything.

Well, its not really a huge fix IIRC, so they just bring it in and get it tweaked. Even if a guest brings it in once to get brakes fixed, it doesn't cost an arm and a leg or anything.

That would be true for a store that had a regular bike mechanic but you know how the scheduling goes ...
leave the bike and you 'might' get it back in a week.
The communication is slipshod when it comes to what repairs need to be done and how many people are going to want to wait like that?
This is another case of a program that has been put together with no real idea of the effects that it will have on the ground.
They are hoping most people won't use it or will just get the new bike.

What threw me over the wall was when I read further down that we will replace the bike or offer a gift card that covers the cost of the whole bike if it can't be repaired. Then to me it's like why the heck cover certain things when the whole bike can be returned at the price it was bought for? I'm thinking I skipped something, but it seems odd that all I would have to pay was 4 bucks and return the bike in a year or two and just get another. Can you guys just imagine what will happen at Christmas time?!?! o_O I believe that there will be more information around June 20th.

That means I can get a brand new Magna on a weekly basis!!!!

I highly recommend that you go look into the site faq. I believe its on Asurion.com/target
you get lots of Info about our plans and what they cover there. It's the same as the electronics plans. The guest will have to register the bike and file claims through Asurion and be guided through the process with their problems.

We were a test store for these last year. As far as I know, we never sold a single one.

Though, I have to wonder how there's money to be made here. Even if you take care of it, a Target-bought bike will need some serious work after two years; tires, brakes, cables, etc. IIRC, it's only $8 to protect a $99 bike. So, unless most people just FORGET they bought the thing (which is quite likely, actually), I don't see where the profit is for Target or the fulfillment company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back