Bogus or not

• Yes

Votes: 36 87.8%
  • No

Votes: 5 12.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I normally keep it on the lowest volume possible because we tend to have a lot of Code Yellows at my store and I'll willingly take time out of my break to go assist with that sort of thing, but otherwise it's just radio silence. I always make it a point to shout over the walkie "-Workstation- takin my break/lunch". If they don't hear that, it's their fault
I've stopped announcing them after one srtl called me minutes after each announcement of break, plus me leaving for the day. It was like he heard the name and went "minion...I needed something from minion"

When does a break officially start? Does it start when I get in the breakroom? Or does it start when I walk away from my work center? And when does it end? When I exit the break room, or when I get back to my work center. It can take me minutes to get to the break room, and minutes to come back depending on if I get stopped by a guest or not. If they're going to be so specific they give you a timer, then they need to be specific on what constitutes a break. I wouldn't walk back to my work center until that timer goes off. Unless I'm gone for half an hour, then leave me the fuck alone.

I was going to ask this but never got around to it...I have a couple special TMs who think they can go and shop for something to eat, checkout and then their break finally starts when they make their way all the way back to the breakroom.

There are other ways to do this without treating people like crap and trying to humiliate them.

You talk to the ones who are the problem. Eventually it leads to documented conversations and write ups.

My favorite was to tell a cashier that they could go when so-and-so was back. A little peer pressure would go a long way!

But it is WAY easier to make blanket statements (or hand out egg timers) to everyone instead of dealing INDIVIDUALLY with the people who are the problem! At my store has threatened over & over & over........................to coach for callouts. For several years it was "if you call out on a weekend, your going to get coached". This past holiday season it changed to "if you call out at all, your going to be coached". I have YET to hear of anyone ever being coached for calling out! All these blanket statements do is anger the people like me ( my attendance % has been in the mid 90's all of my 7 years at Target) who AREN'T the problem! But it IS way easier!

When does a break officially start? Does it start when I get in the breakroom? Or does it start when I walk away from my work center? And when does it end? When I exit the break room, or when I get back to my work center. It can take me minutes to get to the break room, and minutes to come back depending on if I get stopped by a guest or not. If they're going to be so specific they give you a timer, then they need to be specific on what constitutes a break. I wouldn't walk back to my work center until that timer goes off. Unless I'm gone for half an hour, then leave me the fuck alone.
Break starts the moment you step away from your workcenter, and you should be stepping back into your workcenter when that timer goes off. By the time you use the restroom, walk to grocery, walk back, check out, heat up your food, you might only have 2 minutes to eat it. If its too short thats too bad. Plan better.

Break starts the moment you step away from your workcenter, and you should be stepping back into your workcenter when that timer goes off. By the time you use the restroom, walk to grocery, walk back, check out, heat up your food, you might only have 2 minutes to eat it. If its too short thats too bad. Plan better.

and 4 guests ask you questions so take take 5 minutes longer on break to make up the time spent on break answering guest questions. Guest see red and khaki and boom your break is done for !!

Our restrooms (front) are usually being cleaned at break time. Sooooo it's either walk to the back sacrificing break minutes or stop off up front later in the day while stocking in the vicinity. And seriously Spot doesn't need to potty train me.

Break starts once you get up to the registers or get off stage. If guests can still see you and ask you questions/for help, you are still working.

If people would not take 25 minute 15 minute breaks this would be a non-issue. 18 minutes, ok. time to walk to the break room and back added in.

That is crappy and/or lazy management. You deal with the people causing the problems not treat everybody like 5 year olds.

They wouldn't do this if it wasn't a problem.

Our last ETL-LOG used to set a timer for Flow breaks and announce over the PA when the time was up. Micromanaging but still effective.

Our SrTL for Flow and ETL-LOG will call on the PA when breaks would start and end for flow.

So if I intend to start my break while I'm in seasonal, and get stopped 7 times on the way to the breakroom and it takes 15minutes to get there, my break is over? Sounds legit.
No. If you get stopped tell the guest sorry, you're on break. Or restart your break at that point. If you don't get stopped, then your break started when you stepped away from your work center. You can't spend 10 minutes in the bathroom and shopping, then decide to start your break when you finally make it to the breakroom.

At my store, starting today, all cashiers are required to bring a timer on their breaks. Needless to say their rock bottom morale has took a hit.:mad:

If enough people drag their timer with them into the bathroom & accidentally drop them in the toilet I think the store might figure out it's ridiculous to force cashiers to carry a timer with them.

Honestly, how can a person enjoy a break when they have to juggle a timer while they are standing on line to buy a snack or use the bathroom or have a quick cigarette or even grab 15 minutes of silence with that stupid thing tick, tick, ticking away.

The people who are taking too long breaks should be held accountable but all the other TMs should NOT be punished because the GTSL is not doing her job. Speak to HR about this ridiculous experiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back