Bounce Back

My TL wrote "Bounce Back" on my assignment sheet yesterday.

I had no idea what is was until the AP Person (?!?) told me.

Apparently this entailed my ETL zoning the WACOs so it looks neat for some reason.

Why does that even matter?

I did notice two things though.

Though the WACO looked neat (at least temporarily) most of the product barcodes aren't facing out so what is the point.

However as usual I had to audit numerous WACOs because apparently that isn't important just so it looks neat.

Last edited:
Though the WACO looked neat (at least temporarily) most of the product barcodes aren't facing out so what is the point.
Does anyone actually have a good reason for why the barcodes should be facing out? When pulling, you're given a picture of the product you need. The front of the product, not the back or the barcode. And you have to pick the product up to put it in your cart anyway, so scanning the barcode while doing that means you're not spending any extra time to do so.

So.. why? You just end up being able to fit less in the WACOs. The only time I keep barcodes facing out is with casepacks (pick labels).

My TL wrote "Bounce Back" on my assignment sheet yesterday.

I had no idea what is was until I asked the AP Person (?!?) told me.

Apparently this entailed my ETL zoning the WACOs so it looks neat for some reason.

Why does that even matter?

I did notice two things though.

However as usual I had to audit numerous WACOs because apparently that isn't important just so it looks neat.
If Bounce Back works like it did a few years ago, it’s supposed to be recovering the store and making everything brand again (like it supposedly was before 4th quarter😂). The reason it matters to the ETLs is because after the completion date the DM and usually his entourage come in for a visit to check that the store has been restored to its former glory, and nothing gets the ETLs out of their offices and busy as bees doing something to maintain the illusion that all is brand, but which is of no practical use, quite like the threat promise of a district visit. 😂 More smoke and mirrors, and of course, Bounce Back hits right when hours drop and makes it nearly impossible to get the things done that actually need doing. What a waste! 🙄

Bounce back is just stupid to me . You let your back room and receiving go to shit for a whole year and then expect magic in 2 weeks .
I for one never had to do a bounce back , since I owned the inbound process as well as backroom and backstock . What I did was doing weekly purge , audit and condensing . The only thing I wouldn’t touch was , style , entertainment , beauty , market and tech .
But I think it’s easier to maintain brand when you have the same tm schedule in the back room .

Bounce back is just stupid to me . You let your back room and receiving go to shit for a whole year and then expect magic in 2 weeks .
I for one never had to do a bounce back , since I owned the inbound process as well as backroom and backstock . What I did was doing weekly purge , audit and condensing . The only thing I wouldn’t touch was , style , entertainment , beauty , market and tech .
But I think it’s easier to maintain brand when you have the same tm schedule in the back room .
How many resources did you use to purge and audit? Right now I mostly focus on empty location report and executing a report I made that shows where sfq+brq > on hand.

I'm trying to convince my etl that auditing the backroom is more useful in the long run than 1f1s when we have some extra time.

Does anyone actually have a good reason for why the barcodes should be facing out? When pulling, you're given a picture of the product you need. The front of the product, not the back or the barcode. And you have to pick the product up to put it in your cart anyway, so scanning the barcode while doing that means you're not spending any extra time to do so.

So.. why? You just end up being able to fit less in the WACOs. The only time I keep barcodes facing out is with casepacks (pick labels).
It's a carryover from when there was a "backroom team" of 4-5 people (at my store anyway) with only an hour to pull CAFs for the entire store, with PDA scanners that didn't have graphics on the screen. It would tell you the Waco or shelf, then you scan everything there as fast as possible until it double-beeped on the item you actually needed. Having to play "Where's the danged UPC code" was a huge pain in the ass and time-waster.

Now there's no real reason for it, as you have realized.

Things slowly go to the crapper, always. It's a spring cleaning, refresh, time to focus on getting things back to brand while sales are slower and we have time to breathe (if not payroll hours)

There was a day and age when the fill function did not show you the picture or even tell you the requested item from a given location. Your job was to scan all the barcodes in that location until you scanned the item the system was looking for. This may seem inefficient, but it had the added benefit of confirming to the system that the items you were scanning were in that location. Having the barcodes face out expedited this process.

Fast forward to the future and we have a more sophisticated system that tell us the item being pulled and a picture of it. But you still have to scan the barcode, so if everyone that backstocked had it facing out, you would be able to do this faster. And backrooms would be more accurate for it, because a ton of baffles would be discovered by team members scanning unlocated items that weren't being requested. Indeed, for me personally, unless I'm in a dreadful hurry, I always intentionally scan every item but the one being requested and I have a very high baffle rate because of it. But I always justify it as making the backroom more accurate in the most expedient way possible (as opposed to dedicated time for location updates or purging).

Also, why would you be able to fit less in the waco? If it's an odd dimension unit, you should still be able to orient in such a way that the barcode is visible to the user, even if it's not, strictly speaking, facing out.

I only mentioned the barcode because I thought Target would think having them facing out would be more photogenic.😃

They also zoned all of mini seasonal (i.e V-Day, outdoors) so they must have sent pics of that too!

Last edited:
I only mentioned the barcode because I thought Target would think having them facing out would be more photogenic.😃
No way! If anything, Target would want a picture depicting them out of the packaging being showcased by a model.

I mean, have you ever seen a photo of an item in myDay and thought, "well that's a nice target.com photo, but I want to know what the packaging looks like..."?

No way! If anything, Target would want a picture depicting them out of the packaging being showcased by a model.

I mean, have you ever seen a photo of an item in myDay and thought, "well that's a nice target.com photo, but I want to know what the packaging looks like..."?
i *think* there are arrows on those photos that show the packaging if you swipe to the right. Don‘t quote me on that though.
You mind sharing the card or dataset name that it pulls from (so I could make my own)?
same.

Didn't myDay originally make the item picture larger if you tapped it?
Yeah. Pretty sure you can still do it. But i Remember when I would pick batches for ship/opu during Q4 in areas like toys where they often showed the photo of the product I thought you could swipe to see what the packaging looked like.

Yeah. Pretty sure you can still do it. But i Remember when I would pick batches for ship/opu during Q4 in areas like toys where they often showed the photo of the product I thought you could swipe to see what the packaging looked like.
I'm almost certain you can still do this

i *think* there are arrows on those photos that show the packaging if you swipe to the right. Don‘t quote me on that though.

same.

You mind sharing the card or dataset name that it pulls from (so I could make my own)?
StoreLogistics.INV_ANOMALIES_EXCEPT_OH

Pro tip: sfq + brq > on-hands is less interesting than brq > on-hands

StoreLogistics.INV_ANOMALIES_EXCEPT_OH

Pro tip: sfq + brq > on-hands is less interesting than brq > on-hands

For sure. Including the SFQ in there is a next step. It let's me correct more on hands plus generate quite a few pulls.

It also baffles me that the system will let the BRQ > OH and not generate audits automatically.

I always thought bounce back on the sales floor is silly.

Busy work (also known as make-work and busywork) is an activity that is undertaken to pass time and stay busy but in and of itself has little or no actual value.

Examples from our recent "Bounceback".

Resetting the WACOs so the towels in that location are the same color.

Resealing open case backs even if no items were taken.

Cleaning up the drawers underneath the cash registers where we store gift and/or merchandise cards.

Last edited:
Back