Breakout Vent

hi! i just need to vent.

i currently work in breakout at my store and the person that works with me in breakout is… slacking. and by slacking, i mean i have to come in for my four hour shift (i’m in college so i can’t work a lot anymore), and fix everything they did in their 8 hour shift.

breakout, in my opinion, is the easiest position at target. you fold clothes, put folded clothes on correct metro, OR, you simply hang clothes up on a Z.

this person literally never puts anything on the right metro or Z, and i know that sounds petty or like i’m looking for a reason to complain but i assure you, this person NEVER. PUTS. STUFF. WHERE. IT. GOES.

they also don’t actually fold anything. like they’ll bunch up a few t shirts and throw them on whichever metro is closest. and when style doesn’t push some of what’s on their metro, because it isn’t theirs, this person gets so angry and hostile that i’m uncomfortable around them. they’ll start yelling at people and asking “is it so hard for you to just fix it?” but don’t you dare respond with, “can you just.. do it right?”

this person has gone from store to store, position to position because they keep getting complaints from fellow TM’s. and they finally stuck them in breakout.. yay? i’ve tried to correct them and tell them nicely where stuff goes, how to properly fold, how to organize etc & this person literally has responded and told me “yeah i don’t care about that.”

i’ve brought up all of these issues with multiple TL’s in style, inbound, and GM and nothing gets done. when i bring it up to a TL, i get told that they have mentioned it to this person and they just get an attitude with the TLs so it gets dropped.

mind you, i used to really, really love my job. i still do honestly. it’s easy, but physically demanding so i don’t get bored and my adhd flourishes lol. i used to come in on my days off, stay late, come in early, come BACK in after i got off, but over the past 6 months or so with this coworker my morale has dropped. i used to be insanely fast, because it was just me and i didn’t have to follow anyone around and do their job for them. now i feel like i’m just expected to fix coworkers issues and deal with it, but it’s literally a slap in the face to expect me to be okay with this.. right?

Store to store, position to position? Is your area really that hard up for workers that Target can't finally get rid of this dead wood? Yikes.
The TM gives them attitude and so the TLs back off? Just who is running the show at your store? Yikes again.
If no one will do anything about the TM, is it possible for you to transfer to a different work center?

I don't know the situation of the person op is talking about, but I've had to deal with "difficult" tms rather ironically in breakout as well. I'm not not saying thebsituation is the same but it can be intimidating to deal with if you don't know how to properly justify and document to get the tms out of your store.
I will say it has been incredibly difficult to hire new tms for my store, specifically gm and inbound. My newest gm and inbound tm have been at my store for over a year. Nobody has lasted for more then a month. And we haven't had a legitimate inbound hire in 6 months. Only reason we still have a team and a functioning store is our culture and comradery of our tms. We did get a pay bump recently and holiday hiring seems to be going OK but it's still early to tell. You still need to get rid of problem tms whether you can afford to lose them or not it'll drive out your performing tms if you don't.

hi! i just need to vent.

i currently work in breakout at my store and the person that works with me in breakout is… slacking. and by slacking, i mean i have to come in for my four hour shift (i’m in college so i can’t work a lot anymore), and fix everything they did in their 8 hour shift.

breakout, in my opinion, is the easiest position at target. you fold clothes, put folded clothes on correct metro, OR, you simply hang clothes up on a Z.

this person literally never puts anything on the right metro or Z, and i know that sounds petty or like i’m looking for a reason to complain but i assure you, this person NEVER. PUTS. STUFF. WHERE. IT. GOES.

they also don’t actually fold anything. like they’ll bunch up a few t shirts and throw them on whichever metro is closest. and when style doesn’t push some of what’s on their metro, because it isn’t theirs, this person gets so angry and hostile that i’m uncomfortable around them. they’ll start yelling at people and asking “is it so hard for you to just fix it?” but don’t you dare respond with, “can you just.. do it right?”

this person has gone from store to store, position to position because they keep getting complaints from fellow TM’s. and they finally stuck them in breakout.. yay? i’ve tried to correct them and tell them nicely where stuff goes, how to properly fold, how to organize etc & this person literally has responded and told me “yeah i don’t care about that.”

i’ve brought up all of these issues with multiple TL’s in style, inbound, and GM and nothing gets done. when i bring it up to a TL, i get told that they have mentioned it to this person and they just get an attitude with the TLs so it gets dropped.

mind you, i used to really, really love my job. i still do honestly. it’s easy, but physically demanding so i don’t get bored and my adhd flourishes lol. i used to come in on my days off, stay late, come in early, come BACK in after i got off, but over the past 6 months or so with this coworker my morale has dropped. i used to be insanely fast, because it was just me and i didn’t have to follow anyone around and do their job for them. now i feel like i’m just expected to fix coworkers issues and deal with it, but it’s literally a slap in the face to expect me to be okay with this.. right?
honestly. stop fixing their mistakes.
-
Either switch to a different work center/position, or just scootch over the things that are in the wrong space/unfolded, and put the new stuff in the metros in the available empty spaces.

You still need to get rid of problem tms whether you can afford to lose them or not it'll drive out your performing tms if you don't.
This. It hurts in the short term to get rid of a problem TM, but it'll hurt more in the long term if you don't.

In a very different kind of job many years ago, there was a problem staffer in my department - lazy, none too bright, kind of just taking up space. We were all so relieved when he finally left, of his own accord, for a different job. (There were reasons he couldn't just be fired - nothing legally protected, just political.) The irony is that his new job paid a whole lot better, which seemed a little unfair, but he was actually much better suited for it too. Everyone won - he was finally in a job he could do well and got paid well too - the rest of us no longer had to pick up his slack and deal with the issues he caused.

Your awful TM might be able to do quite well and be much happier in a different job. But unless your store's leaders (and it sounds like other area stores' leadership?) don't show them the door permanently, they're going to keep making life miserable for their co-workers.

Store to store, position to position? Is your area really that hard up for workers that Target can't finally get rid of this dead wood? Yikes.
The TM gives them attitude and so the TLs back off? Just who is running the show at your store? Yikes again.
If no one will do anything about the TM, is it possible for you to transfer to a different work center?
im super duper sorry for my hella late response, but, yes. our store really is that hell bent for workers right now. we also recently started an over night shift for the holiday season, so now we are not only short staffed in inbound for morning shift, but overnight shift as well. its an absolute cluster fuck. we don't even have enough room in the physical store for 3-4 truck every 24 hours, I'm not entirely sure whose bright idea this was.

I'm going to put in my request to transfer tomorrow i think. i just don't know how to do it, i know i have to talk to HR but i only work when HR isn't there. lmfao

im super duper sorry for my hella late response, but, yes. our store really is that hell bent for workers right now. we also recently started an over night shift for the holiday season, so now we are not only short staffed in inbound for morning shift, but overnight shift as well. its an absolute cluster fuck. we don't even have enough room in the physical store for 3-4 truck every 24 hours, I'm not entirely sure whose bright idea this was.

I'm going to put in my request to transfer tomorrow i think. i just don't know how to do it, i know i have to talk to HR but i only work when HR isn't there. lmfao
Most stores will be in the same boat as yours. Obviously you could get lucky at another store but there's a good chance it wouldn't change much.

I don't know the situation of the person op is talking about, but I've had to deal with "difficult" tms rather ironically in breakout as well. I'm not not saying thebsituation is the same but it can be intimidating to deal with if you don't know how to properly justify and document to get the tms out of your store.
I will say it has been incredibly difficult to hire new tms for my store, specifically gm and inbound. My newest gm and inbound tm have been at my store for over a year. Nobody has lasted for more then a month. And we haven't had a legitimate inbound hire in 6 months. Only reason we still have a team and a functioning store is our culture and comradery of our tms. We did get a pay bump recently and holiday hiring seems to be going OK but it's still early to tell. You still need to get rid of problem tms whether you can afford to lose them or not it'll drive out your performing tms if you don't.
it's super intimidating to deal with! and it sucks because i feel like a crybaby complaining that someone isn't doing something as simple as folding clothes properly. but, at the same time... shes literally not doing something as SIMPLE AS FOLDING CLOTHES properly 🤦🏻‍♀️ my team lead doesn't even want this TM there anymore, we've talked about it. But her hands are tied, which i totally understand. at one point in time i was the only breakout person and i would get 10-12 hour trucks done in 7-8 hours easily. i wish i could go back to that. 😭

Most stores will be in the same boat as yours. Obviously you could get lucky at another store but there's a good chance it wouldn't change much.
what sucks is that you're right. i honestly loved my job before she who shall not be named. i LOVED it there. and now i dread coming in to work because she makes it so shitty.

what sucks is that you're right. i honestly loved my job before she who shall not be named. i LOVED it there. and now i dread coming in to work because she makes it so shitty.
You can't always tell what's going on at another store, but just going in shopping you can tell if a store had unattended uboats or pallets on the floor during the day, or the style zone has more clothes on the floor then on the racks amd tables it's probably not doing well.

it's super intimidating to deal with! and it sucks because i feel like a crybaby complaining that someone isn't doing something as simple as folding clothes properly. but, at the same time... shes literally not doing something as SIMPLE AS FOLDING CLOTHES properly 🤦🏻‍♀️ my team lead doesn't even want this TM there anymore, we've talked about it. But her hands are tied, which i totally understand. at one point in time i was the only breakout person and i would get 10-12 hour trucks done in 7-8 hours easily. i wish i could go back to that. 😭
Yeah it sucks. We have a break out tm who will only do hangs and can't really push effectively if we need them too. Honestly think we are better off just paying them to sit in the break room because they just interrupt the flow of productive tms. She is a nice lady but this job is too fast paced for them. Our specialty team has been mismanaged for years now and nobody is held accountable. It sucks to say but there isnt much I can do.

Back