Archived Brown Monkey Tied up in Equipment Cabinet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want to give a little background about my store before I get into the issue that I have. My store has previously had issues where TM's made inappropriate racial comments to other people, and based on what I know there was a hotline call about it and it was investigated. Recently during black history month, someone put a brown stuffed animal in the equipment cabinet and tied its hands up. A few TM's and me just don't feel comfortable with it. Someone said that one of the ETL's did it (for purposes of this post, the ETL who supposedly did it is white), so we are not sure what to make of it.... but what I can tell you is that many team members are taking serious offense to it. I was wondering what I should do. Many of us feel like there are racial undertones there, especially since it was put up during black history month. I know my STL will most likely just try to cover it up because he has been accused of being racist before. I just wanted to get some opinions from you guys, is this hotline worthy?

Don't call the hotline. Call the fucking press!! Do you even have photos? Sorry, this shit should not be repressed.

Make that piece of crap own to his wrong doings. If a team member did that, that team member would have been terminated. Hasta la vista baby.

I hate to be that guy, but how exactly is a tied up monkey racist?

I mean, I get the whole monkey thing they're trying to get at. I know that reference and it's stupid.

I think it's the intent. I would punish the person more because it just shows immaturity on the part of the person. I mean if you are an ETL, you should be professional. You shouldn't be doing immature crap like that. You are suppose to be a leader and promote fast, fun, and friendly.

I just want to give a little background about my store before I get into the issue that I have. My store has previously had issues where TM's made inappropriate racial comments to other people, and based on what I know there was a hotline call about it and it was investigated. Recently during black history month, someone put a brown stuffed animal in the equipment cabinet and tied its hands up. A few TM's and me just don't feel comfortable with it. Someone said that one of the ETL's did it (for purposes of this post, the ETL who supposedly did it is white), so we are not sure what to make of it.... but what I can tell you is that many team members are taking serious offense to it. I was wondering what I should do. Many of us feel like there are racial undertones there, especially since it was put up during black history month. I know my STL will most likely just try to cover it up because he has been accused of being racist before. I just wanted to get some opinions from you guys, is this hotline worthy?

You need to ask the ETL why he did it and WTF does it mean?

I don't understand the tied up hands part? It could be possible he meant something entirely different but was too stupid (typical of many ETLs) to see how it could be misinterpreted. For example, is it possible he was trying to send the message that "If you steal equipment, you are going to jail".

That's what immediately comes to mind to me... tied up hands = hand cuffs. Being in the equipment closet = high value stuff. Taking high value stuff = going to jail.

Why a monkey? Immediately what comes to mind to me is that it is the cheapest item in toys that looks like a human that he could screw with.

Document the event. Talk to your etl-hr or etl-ap without delay & express your concerns.

From what I have been told from a very reliable source, the ETL-AP is the person responsible for putting the monkey there to begin with.

You need to ask the ETL why he did it and WTF does it mean?

I don't understand the tied up hands part? It could be possible he meant something entirely different but was too stupid (typical of many ETLs) to see how it could be misinterpreted. For example, is it possible he was trying to send the message that "If you steal equipment, you are going to jail".

That's what immediately comes to mind to me... tied up hands = hand cuffs. Being in the equipment closet = high value stuff. Taking high value stuff = going to jail.

Why a monkey? Immediately what comes to mind to me is that it is the cheapest item in toys that looks like a human that he could screw with.

I highly doubt that this was a situation where he was addressing equipment control. He has never spoken about equipment control in any huddles or at anytime, we work very closely.

My question is, why put a tied up monkey during Black History Month, or even at all for that matter? Regardless of weather one feels about the term "monkey" being a racial slur is stupid, it is a racial slur because African Americans are referred to as monkeys by racist people. they are usually referring to appearance, because they believe that African Americans look like monkeys, that's why this issue has strong racial undertones. The majority of the team members who do Flexible Fulfillment (with the exception of one) who use that cabinet are African American or biracial mixed with African American. He did not put it in the equipment cabinet where all of the equipment is, it was a specialty cabinet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back