Archived BTS tips and tricks-how to survive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for insight on how to get through BTS freight successfully. Any insight would be appreciated starting with truck unload, repack sorting (do you push stationary first then seasonal or vice versa?), how many tms do you have pushing /sorting etc.? How is your backroom organized and anything else you can think of! Thanks!

My store for bts went like this before push all.

1. We elected 2 Flow tm to do BTS seasonal until the rest comes and help.
2. We pushed in seasonal first. Scan dual for locators and put them on tubs to be pushed in stationary.
3. Repacks for BTS usual is handled by our stationary guy since he does the repacks for that dept anyways.
4. Organization wasn't an issue for backroom because Flow and backroom worked together to keep everything organized.
5. When flow goes to help in seasonal we heavily zoned it to make sure everything was filled, but not over pushed. But hardlines manages to mess it up anyways you just have to keep zoning when pushing.

• Pray that Target doesn't do the cardboard displays this year.
  • Find out they do the cardboard displays this year.
I'm pretty sure we are. At the DC, we just shipped out GIANT ISM pallets that listed a bunch of BTS signing on the order sheet...and by giant, I mean 8 feet tall, 3/4 the width of the trailer and as long as two pallets. Good luck trying to move it.

Organization is key! Have TMs dedicated to push, pull, and backstock BTS. This includes pushing reshop. The less hands you have in the cookie jar the better. Have this team in mind now. They have to be self motivated and not have to be babysat. Repacks should be done by the same person as Stationary. Fill the home location in stationary first, then send the rest to BTS for that team to push. Get the backroom ready for the increased freight in office/stationary/seasonal.

I think Christmas is cake compared to BTS. BTS gives you a good idea of how your 4th quarter is going to be. Survive BTS and you'll survive 4th quarter.

Those double pallets are a pain in the ass to move!

I agree with getting 2 flow team members to "own" BTS. If you can get them out of that area by 9am you are going to save yourself a huge headache. If they are still in there later than 10am they will simply be helping guests fill their school lists. Make sure they are equipped with rubber bands, printer and PDA. Make sure these are 2 of your finest! We filled the home first and then the flat. Keep a tub separate for back stock. Make sure they are labeling the boxes within a box.(12 pens to a box,6 boxes to a carton.) Their back stock should be impeccable so that the back room team can back stock it accurately and smart. Be mindful when BTS is coming down and don't wait too long to stop stocking second location products. I hate back stocking 75 loose 1" binders! Again if you can designate 1 or 2 team members to own the back stock/pulling it will make your life so much easier. If you have people who just shove it where ever your counts will be off in no time at all. I would much rather go through Christmas than BTS. There are so many individual pieces, so many 2nd locations...If the team you put together for BTS worked out well, let then be your Christmas elves too!. Make sure you recognize them, this is HARD work. Keep accurate notes on what worked and what didn't so you are able to have a successful BTS next year too. You will be able to use some of what you used to help out with Christmas too.

My store we push office area first. Since its at the front of the store. We don't want a lot going back up there.
Backroom needs to be as organized as possible. Don't try to separate what's seasonal and what's not, it's not worth the trouble.
Also big thing in the backroom when pulling your office pull, pull all open stock first before pulling cases. Will minimize your cases that get pulled. Will help with not having so much open stock.

we push BTS first and separate backstock. if it has a second location we put it aside etc. generally we set a few aisles then push. are you looking for setting tips or flow push tips for after its set?

Sooooo we have 1 Plano TM... Do you want to guess how my seasonal looks right now a

How long did it take you guys to build everything for BTS?

We are getting a Jet Visit this weekend. Wanna know how fabulous our BTS looks? Yeah the hours checkbook is wide open. I will enjoy the weekend. Glad I am off..

• Pray that Target doesn't do the cardboard displays this year.
  • Find out they do the cardboard displays this year.
I'm pretty sure we are. At the DC, we just shipped out GIANT ISM pallets that listed a bunch of BTS signing on the order sheet...and by giant, I mean 8 feet tall, 3/4 the width of the trailer and as long as two pallets. Good luck trying to move it.
I fucking hate getting those things out of the truck when it's in the middle of the trailer. Wish they would keep it in the back because we literally have to stop our unload and pull the lines out to get that crap

As flow tl I have one person break out repacks in bts and one in stationary. They push their carts then swap them to fill both areas. The flow team waves through bts first then grocery then A block. Bts is the worst time of year especially if you are a 4am or 6am store

our store keeps a flat or tub for dually located push. they push rear first then someone takes up the stuff for B and pushes it

For backstocking , We have an overflow set up for dept 81 in the backroom. We try ( key word being try) to keep all of the ncf separate from the cf bts merchandise. makes it much easier when its time to remerchandise things out and things go clearance. Also, remind people to open whole cases of notebooks, loose leaf paper, etc very sparingly as partial cases cant be shipped back on sweeps after the bts rush...and you will be stuck with it for months if not years to come . The ncf will go clearance but the cf you will be left with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back