Archived Bulk Training

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've recently started working/backstocking bulk on truck days. The guy who trained me had just put in his two-weeks and only gave me a day of half-assed training.
I was wondering how your stores handle the bulk. Are there any good strategies for getting bulk put away and backstocked quickly and neatly? I've been fumbling my way through the process and would like some insight as to how other stores handle it.

Thanks in advance,
-Swiss

You should focus on condensing the pallets that are already backstocked first, Like, if there a 2 pallets half full of paper, combind them and make one to free up a space. Also, if you're low on space and need to choose between backstocking paper or water, always BS the paper. Water sells really fast so by the end of the night, it's likely a lot will go out. Tell the LOD you didn't have space and Flow will probably push it in the morning.

First of all, thanks for the quick replies. What all are you responsible for when working bulk? I've been working paper, water and dog food but then i have to fork up transition pallets, backstock plastics and furniture and sometimes even diapers. Is this normal or am I just being taken for granted. It should be noted that I'm scheduled on Flow hours, not back room

Condense, condense, condense. LOCU is your best friend when working bulk. Attempting to keep all assortment shippers consolidated is very helpful for whoever sets. Stripe pallets when consolidating. Keep backstock consolidated to pallet spaces when possible ie. don't backstock two bags of dog food in an open lower location when there is a pallet up top...backstock it together. Also, consolidate.

Last edited:
And please locate that stuff when you toss it up in the steel. Your In-Stocks team will not want your head on a stick. :)

First of all, thanks for the quick replies. What all are you responsible for when working bulk? I've been working paper, water and dog food but then i have to fork up transition pallets, backstock plastics and furniture and sometimes even diapers. Is this normal or am I just being taken for granted. It should be noted that I'm scheduled on Flow hours, not back room
LOL, I do paper, water, pets, furn, bulk plastics, HBA, cosm, Grocery, diapers, ifur, sometimes elec for fun, freezer, cooler, sometimes trash when no one else is told to it.
Oh and the Audit. But thats only when im schedued truck.

At my overnight store, our 10 hour bulk shifts involve moving everything out of receiving and setting up the line for the unload, working the backstock side of the line, working out the the pipo (paper, water, etc.) and pet food pallets after the unload, backstocking those pallets in the racking after they've been worked, sorting transition, and bringing everything back into receiving and organizing it before the 6am vendors come in. We also backstock the paper and diaper backstock pallets and if we have time, either help clean up the floor and backroom or backstock regular freight before store opening.

Like others have said, condense pallets as you go about putting them up, I use LOCU almost exclusively to backstock in the bulk racking. Be prepared to pick up after people....people will leave the empty repack pallets unsorted, not put away their empty pallets, leave tubs, flats and carts in your way. At my store because of our very small receiving, be ready to stay out of it completely during the FDC unload as they use most of the space. ETL and TL support is hit and miss, so make sure you communicate effectively and always maintain a good work ethic. Be a step ahead of yourself all the time in planning out your night. Don't be afraid to partner up with your receiving person and the SFT on issues. Expect that most of the logisitics and backroom team will have no idea what you do, why you do it, why it takes the time it does, how hard it is some nights, and why you can't just follow them around helping them all night. Try to learn patience with those who take your position for granted.

Most of all, work fast, work smart, and remember that you have one of the hardest, most physically demanding jobs at Target. Take care of your body as best you can.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Mister Bulky I sure wish you worked at my store. We're an A volume, we do huge sales and huge freight, but for some reason we eliminated the bulk position. Now it's bulk by committee. I'm the receiving team member and I am seriously busy with vendors and defects and MIRs from the time I punch in to punch out, plus I do the first two hours of my shift as Backroom to pull batches. Now they want me to sort transition and backstock PIPOs, man I really miss having a good bulk guy around, they're indispensable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back