Bye Bye Receivers

I was notified last week that one of our stores pilot programs involves eliminating the receiver's position and making the f/b team responsible for receiving vendors. The receiver still gets 3 hours a day to do reverse logistics. The rest of his/her day is spent as gm or inbound.

Our f/b TMs currently receive our food trucks in the morning and the receiver helps.

However our other vendors show up whenever especially the pop and wine.

I have seen our receiver screw around with wine vendors for over an hour!

Seems they tried to roll this out a few years back but it was cancelled because of too many logistical problems.
I remember many of us having to sit thru a VERY short training on receiving various types of orders, the idea being that someone from each dept would be trained.
Imagine how it would've been doing this during the height of the pandemic.

My store recently changed our C&S days to Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. Since our receiver works M-F, the ETL or TL on duty has to receive the weekend delivery. However, on occasion he or she is busy and I’ve had to handle the receiving duties on top of having to push the pallets. It would be great if there was a backup receiver for Saturdays.

From what my ETL said, every store is rolling out a slightly different version of this and we have to follow it to the letter. No tweaking it when we find stuff that doesn't work. Part of my store's pilot is that they want someone in receiving 7 days a week for 3-4 hours, which is absolutely stupid. We get 1 regular delivery on the weekend (C&S) and maybe a Frito delivery. None of my other vendors work on the weekends except for my pop merches.

I'm really interested to see how many issues come up from this because there are things that pop up with receiving that are easy to fix if you know the system well and can troubleshoot, but can cause a ton of problems if you don't know. I'm fully waiting for this to crash and burn and them to realize how much stuff receivers do that they will now have to train multiple people to do. So many moving pieces that I don't think the people coming up with these pilots even think of.

There are multiple test pilots. Gotta see what works the best before rolling it out to all stores.
Our receiver is to only do outbound duties. Therefore short shifts and it’s an afternoon shift to do the sweep after unloads. Any inbound receiving is to be done by the food and bev team. So they all have to go through training so any of them can receive vendors.

There are multiple test pilots. Gotta see what works the best before rolling it out to all stores.
Our receiver is to only do outbound duties. Therefore short shifts and it’s an afternoon shift to do the sweep after unloads. Any inbound receiving is to be done by the food and bev team. So they all have to go through training so any of them can receive vendors.
I'm curious does the F/B stay in receiving during dock hours. Are they instead going back and forth between receiving vendors and still doing handling their workload on the salesfloor?

Inbound receiving also include signing and supplies pallet deliveries. Who is going to sort that stuff? Fedex/Ups with all the different vendor and non vendor stuff they deliver. Rare for any if that to be f/b mdse. Guess this is what the pilot stores will be sorting out.

Inbound receiving also include signing and supplies pallet deliveries. Who is going to sort that stuff? Fedex/Ups with all the different vendor and non vendor stuff they deliver. Rare for any if that to be f/b mdse. Guess this is what the pilot stores will be sorting out.
These are questions that I have as well, I am going to be mad if they just get set to the side for me to deal with the next day. That is a good way for stuff to get misplaced/not received. Or what if a non-food vendor calls during the day with a question, or even a food vendor? Do we have to juggle phone calls around until it gets to the right person?

And does a market person have to jump back and forth for receiving? Sure anyone can let the vendors in, but some of them need a PO before they go out, and sometimes they are outside for 5 minutes picking their order and sometimes it is over 30 depending on how big it is. There is no way to know how long a vendor is going to take to pull an order, and it could mean market could be jumping back and forth between their normal task and receiving.

These are questions that I have as well, I am going to be mad if they just get set to the side for me to deal with the next day. That is a good way for stuff to get misplaced/not received. Or what if a non-food vendor calls during the day with a question, or even a food vendor? Do we have to juggle phone calls around until it gets to the right person?

And does a market person have to jump back and forth for receiving? Sure anyone can let the vendors in, but some of them need a PO before they go out, and sometimes they are outside for 5 minutes picking their order and sometimes it is over 30 depending on how big it is. There is no way to know how long a vendor is going to take to pull an order, and it could mean market could be jumping back and forth between their normal task and receiving.
Yes that's my question too.

Worth noting while your pilot removes RLTM, other pilots in the same program are adding hours to it, making it Sun-Sat receiving with a backup covering the extra days.
That’s what I have . Monday -Friday one and Tuesday - Sunday and other

No that doesn’t include in the receiver core role , signing is to be sorted by the vml or signing person , and supplies by cart attendant
Not at my store. It's on me. That's alright this is reason why I may get more hrs than perhaps other Receivers. When I go on vacation the leadership sees what all the receiver job entails.
I remember the time when Hq brought in the 2 cosmetic rolling fixtures to use to presort their repacks and being told that I would be the doing the sorting. I went on vacation the week it was supposed to start. When I got back from vacation a team member told me the district ap found out I would be doing it. He told stl that the Receivers have enough to do. Stl will have to find someone else. I loved that ap. We all know asnts. That's why there may be different pilots for this and stores being told to follow the practices that is set for each pilot as it is setup. Hopefully it is the same team from hq and only that team is working with the stores to see what is working and whats not.

Last edited:
Not at my store. It's on me. That's alright this is reason why I may get more hrs than perhaps other Receivers. When I go on vacation the leadership sees what all the receiver job entails.
I remember the time when Hq brought in the 2 cosmetic rolling fixtures to use to presort their repacks and being told that I would be the doing the sorting. I went on vacation the week it was supposed to start. When I got back from vacation a team member told me the district ap found out I would be doing it. He told stl that the Receivers have enough to do. Stl will have to find someone else. I loved that ap. We all know asnts. That's why there may be different pilots for this and stores being told to follow the practices that is set for each pilot as it is setup. Hopefully it is the same team from hq and only that team is working with the stores to see what is working and whats not.
All I’m saying is that is not in the core role never was . So they are making you do it but there’s no store that ever pilot the receiver to do the signing or supplies pallets .

FBTL here with very thin team at ULV store. Usually have only 1-3 tms in the morning. One produce and one dry, there are far too many intricacies here to have them do everything. Worried about vendors taking advantage of them. Testing the pilot has caused our receiver to want to give it up no matter what. Pragmatic ETL says we have to give it a try. Modernizing the receiving position does no one any good. Funny how my FBC goes on about how receiver is first line of defense against vendor shenanigans yet this comes up.

FBTL here with very thin team at ULV store. Usually have only 1-3 tms in the morning. One produce and one dry, there are far too many intricacies here to have them do everything. Worried about vendors taking advantage of them. Testing the pilot has caused our receiver to want to give it up no matter what. Pragmatic ETL says we have to give it a try. Modernizing the receiving position does no one any good. Funny how my FBC goes on about how receiver is first line of defense against vendor shenanigans yet this comes up.
My ETL said that for our pilot the purpose it to cut out the middle man between market and the vendors. I’m lucky because 95% of my vendors are great so I’m not worried about them trying to pull anything shady but I’ve had years of building up a relationship with them and if the pilot gets followed and every market to gets trained on receiving this is really going to impact vendor relations. If I am going to be hands off when it comes to everything food vendor related, there are a ton of little things that will get neglected and will eventually blow up and cause huge issues.

We are ulv also with the same staffing.

Back