C&S Food truck sending too much

qmosqueen

Perishable Assistant Wizard
So we are going back to the FDC in mid January and C&S know this so they are sending way too much food to clear out their inventory.

We normally get about 1,000 piece food truck lately its been 1,500 to 1,800 pieces. This is down right ridiculous. We only have 5 people on a good day to get this all finished.

Example we just received about an 1,800 piece truck
800 dairy
400 produce
600 freezer

This is like double and we get a c&s truck everyday

This has been happening at my store too! Like we get probably hundreds of cartons of eggs even though we do NOT need them. The backroom space for market is nearly entirely filled up because of this (and yes we also get a c&s truck daily).

Our backroom is full of cases of melting wafers for fondue.

Also the other day we decided to set a mini grocery in seasonal for all the other crap they getting sending us.

My whole point is why bother with a mini grocery with Valentine's Day (2/14) and Easter (4/9) coming soon.

I also have always thought that you leave the end caps opens open to put what ever extra product you want to get rid it would help a lot.

You can't sell stuff in the back if it isn't on the floor.

Last edited:
What’s the difference between the C&S and FDC? Also what does C&S stand for?

How do I know which one my store uses and a store I visit?

No idea what it stands for but it's a wholesale grocer that spot uses. FDC is food distribution center, so its controlled by spot. C+S is used in the northeast idk if there used elsewhere or if they use other wholesale grocers.

C&s
C&S Wholesale Grocers, Inc. is an industry leader in supply chain solutions and wholesale grocery supply in the United States. Founded in 1918 as a supplier to independent grocery stores, C&S now services customers of all sizes, supplying more than 7,500 independent supermarkets, chain stores, military bases and institutions with over 100,000 different products. We are an engaged corporate citizen, supporting causes that positively impact our communities.

FDC is Target employees working in food distribution center.

What’s the difference between the C&S and FDC? Also what does C&S stand for?

How do I know which one my store uses and a store I visit?
Ask someone who works in market. The average employee doesn't know/shouldn't care.
Don't worry about what stores you visit do, unless it's your job to know?

Pick labels usually have a purge date on them along with a sell buy date. The stuff we've been getting have been short dated and a lot have have reached the purge date. Also a number of items are set for clearance and have been priced to move., at least at my store. I do produce and the grocery side so I have to deal with tons of veggies and other food items. For example: After a month of no head lettuce, we got is 16 cases of the stuff over the course of 3 days last week. I need a bunch of turtles and rabbits to eat the stuff.

Last edited:
I’ve gotten to the point where if a case is expiring in the next two weeks I donate it. I’m 1 person working produce, meat and dairy so I don’t have the time to keep pushing product then spending half a day removing all it off the shelves.

It’s been ridiculous to say the least.

Here is what I started to do and it’s working.
When Fdc comes and it’s received our counts go to full. Example…they send 4 boxes of garden salad. 9 fit and the rest goes unlocated. Then the next day we sold 6, count goes to 3 we add another 6 to fill it up but our count stays at 3. So they send a bunch more. I have been changing the counts when I add. Yes a pain and I actually printed labels for the planagram and during my break or lunch I scan them and change the count to full. I have only done this with salad and bakery. I can’t get to it daily but even twice a week is helping A lot. Sorry if that is confusing. I tried.

Here is what I started to do and it’s working.
When Fdc comes and it’s received our counts go to full. Example…they send 4 boxes of garden salad. 9 fit and the rest goes unlocated. Then the next day we sold 6, count goes to 3 we add another 6 to fill it up but our count stays at 3. So they send a bunch more. I have been changing the counts when I add. Yes a pain and I actually printed labels for the planagram and during my break or lunch I scan them and change the count to full. I have only done this with salad and bakery. I can’t get to it daily but even twice a week is helping A lot. Sorry if that is confusing. I tried.
I don't understand how this helps when you only change the floor counts. Your on-hand counts should still reflect how many you actually have. You're actually making the problem worse by pushing the extra salads and having the on-hands go down which in turn they will send you more depending on your forecast and current on-hand counts. Don't get me wrong, certainly, keep your floor filled and sell those salads as much as you can but don't think this is a solution.

You need to open the order app and make sure the forecasts for your produce foods are realistic. For example, if you are selling only 1 box of those garden salads in one day but the order app is forecasting to sell 3-4 boxes, then the order app will automatically order closer to the forecast than what you really need. You have the power to override the auto-order and change it to 1 or 2 to keep the produce fresh. The forecasting at my store is freaking ridiculous for some of the produce. For example, broccoli would forecast 16 case packs and we only sell between 6-8 a day, so I make sure to override anything that looks crazy. I spend 30 minutes to 1 hour each day to do an accurate, precise, produce order. I helped streamline this new process and it only lead to more sales and less QMOS'ing. The simple process is just looking at your produce inventory on the floor, looking at produce inventory in the back, and then you decide on how much you actually need versus what the forecast thinks you need. Along the way, you fix any on-hand counts that are way off. Hope it helps.

It’s not pushing extra salads. It’s refilling and the changing to full. Now we are doing it for dairy. It’s worked there also. We were getting close to 400 for dairy. Now it’s around 200. Everything looks so good in the front and back. My produce order take about 15 Minutes. I bet they wonder what you are doing all day.
The forecast will bury you if you go by that!

Back