Call Outs

Hi everyone. Just got another conversation for attendance. Won't lie it was upsetting. Just making sure I'm clear. I know if you're sick you fill out a form and use sick hours, but what if something personal happens? Does Target Self-Service still exist or do you guys fill out a form too? I haven't used self-service in a while and last I saw they were phasing it out so I dunno if it still exists. I know now that you use vacation hours for a personal thing. It's just confusing. A basic overview of what you do after you call out to use hours would be helpful because it's a little confusing.

Self Service has not been available for about six months or more. MyTime for Target has replaced it. Talk to HR as to how they want you to use your sick or vacation time.

I'm probably not gonna have the courage to do that. I've been there a while but the autism…I dunno it'll take me a couple months if at all to talk to them.

I understand how to use sick hours after a freaking conversation. It's just personal hours. Does My time for Target have an option to use vacation hours for it or do you fill out a form? What do you do at your Target?

You need leader approval for vacation hours. Its not intended to cover for absences or hours in which you were scheduled to work. As you already know Target's Sick Plan covers those unplanned absences, and in the event you don't have sick time, you can use your vacation time. Any time not covered by accrued sick or vacation time is considered accountable time in which you can be held accountable for the time missed.

If you need a personal day in which you plan to use earned time you MUST get leader approval before the schedule is posted and its only for hours you aren't scheduled to work i.e. time off you asked for

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 3.24.45 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 3.24.45 PM.png
    138.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 3.26.08 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 3.26.08 PM.png
    123.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 3.27.30 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 3.27.30 PM.png
    131.3 KB · Views: 8
So to answer your question, if you were scheduled to work and missed the shift, and its NOT for a reason in which the sick plan covers (or bereavement) you can and will be held accountable for the shift. If its not covered by your benefits and not requested for in advance with leader approval, then sorry you're kinda SOL

So to answer your question, if you were scheduled to work and missed the shift, and its NOT for a reason in which the sick plan covers (or bereavement) you can and will be held accountable for the shift. If its not covered by your benefits and not requested for in advance with leader approval, then sorry you're kinda SOL
So basically there was nothing I could do?

The reason was an emergency one. A tree fell in front of our house and blocked the road and took out the power, there was no way for me to make it to work. It wasn't an option. I guess I'm stupid.

You need leader approval for vacation hours. Its not intended to cover for absences or hours in which you were scheduled to work. As you already know Target's Sick Plan covers those unplanned absences, and in the event you don't have sick time, you can use your vacation time. Any time not covered by accrued sick or vacation time is considered accountable time in which you can be held accountable for the time missed.

If you need a personal day in which you plan to use earned time you MUST get leader approval before the schedule is posted and its only for hours you aren't scheduled to work i.e. time off you asked for
TMs without access to sick pay have for years had to use vacation time to receive pay for missed shifts. However, vacation time doesn't make an absence unaccountable.

I'm gonna throw out a huge asterisk and say that unless your leadership is both on a powertrip and super to the letter, they'll let you use sick pay for any absence, even if it doesn't fall under one of the specified circumstances (listed below).
  • illness, injury, or a medical condition, including pregnancy;
  • for "Safe Time" (time away necessary to handle certain matters of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, when the employee or a designated family member is a victim);
  • for medical appointments;
  • and to care for family members with an illness, injury, or medical condition.
For TMs in nonlegislated areas covered by Target's Sick Plan.

Does the use of the app kind of make a NCNS irrelevant?

You can still get a CA but you did state you aren't coming in.

TMs without access to sick pay have for years had to use vacation time to receive pay for missed shifts. However, vacation time doesn't make an absence unaccountable.
With the new Sick Plan this has changed. As long as its for a covered reason under the sick plan it is unaccountable as long as the TM as a balance of hours. The benefits guide specifically states since Sick hours cannot go negative once a TM has used all the Sick Plan hours it will come out of the Vacation balance. When all hours are depleted it is then accountable time. As least this is how its mentioned in the benefits guide.

I'm gonna throw out a huge asterisk and say that unless your leadership is both on a powertrip and super to the letter, they'll let you use sick pay for any absence, even if it doesn't fall under one of the specified circumstances (listed below).
  • illness, injury, or a medical condition, including pregnancy;
  • for "Safe Time" (time away necessary to handle certain matters of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, when the employee or a designated family member is a victim);
  • for medical appointments;
  • and to care for family members with an illness, injury, or medical condition.
For TMs in nonlegislated areas covered by Target's Sick Plan.
I don't think anyone actually verifies any of it but its supposed to be for those reasons only. My store also accepts doctors notes to be excused for the absence as well if a TM can produce that but having a significant amount of call outs is a slippery slope anyway.

On the rare occasion that I have to call out not sick related, I use vacation time to make up hours I lost. There is nothing anywhere that says you can’t. 13 year Target veteran. I only called out once in 2023.

I understand how to use sick hours after a freaking conversation. It's just personal hours. Does My time for Target have an option to use vacation hours for it or do you fill out a form? What do you do at your Target?
Log in to myTime. find Requests tab. Open that. Select New Request. Find the day in question. Select whatever you want to use (vacation or sick). I've been using my accrued Sick Time to cover hours on days not worked. I'm ODTM. Have successfully used up 75 hours so far. No questions asked.

With the new Sick Plan this has changed. As long as its for a covered reason under the sick plan it is unaccountable as long as the TM as a balance of hours. The benefits guide specifically states since Sick hours cannot go negative once a TM has used all the Sick Plan hours it will come out of the Vacation balance. When all hours are depleted it is then accountable time. As least this is how its mentioned in the benefits guide.
This is interesting and definitely a departure from past policy. It could explain why some TMs in my store are still there despite terrible attendance. Although I don't see how they could have much vacation time since they don't work enough to accrue a decent amount.

Back