Archived Calling for some advice from any ETL-LOG/FLOW TL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the story, in my store right before 4th quarter our Flow TL left the company, she was absolutely phenomenal, she was knowledgeable, hard working, respected & well liked by the team, overall just a great leader. So, our store was inevitably going to have trouble filling her shoes. After a few years as Backroom/Instocks TL I was ready for my next position/promotion so I mentioned to my ETL, I'd be happy to take the position. Subsequently I was offered the flow position. When I assumed my position, inventory was right around the corner, 4th quarter planning was underway, and boom before I knew it we were going overnight, taking 7-9 trucks a week, doubles here and there.. Soon it was black friday and Christmas followed. Needless to say, I was more worried with "coming clean on trucks." And doing what was required of me when it came to the team aspect... Such as forming a good relationship with my team and team members, and promoting a healthy team culture.

Basically what I'm asking, plain and simple. What do you do with your flow team that makes for a great relationship, and what do you do to keep your team members happy? Also what do you do personally to just be well liked by your team members?

Know your team well. Treat them with respect & they will help you succeed. That's my best suggestion.

Don't be afraid to work alongside your team here and there. Nobody likes a leader who does nothing but bark orders. Get to know your TMs and figure out how they perform. Recognize the harder workers and challenge the others (don't just coach, coach, coach; challenge them).

Don't be afraid to work alongside your team here and there. Nobody likes a leader who does nothing but bark orders. Get to know your TMs and figure out how they perform. Recognize the harder workers and challenge the others (don't just coach, coach, coach; challenge them).

This. Which is pretty much the exact opposite of what Target wants you do. Leadership by example is an alien concept at Target. They would tell you not be working and to be leading, which at Target means coaching and barking orders. Treat your team with respect. Hold them to a high standard but, make sure you have their backs when they need it. The people that worked for me at Target either feared me (the crappy team members) or loved me (the team members who gave it their all). They knew if they did not bother to try, they were gone, they also knew if they worked hard I would do whatever I could for them from working with schedules to finding them hours. And I never had a problem getting my hands dirty.

And you have to deal with poor performers because nothing tears down morale faster than seeing others get away with things and nothing ever happens to them.

Get to know your team. Ask about their families, what they like to do,vacations etc. They are more than a body, they all have lives outside of Target and it makes them feel valued when you are interested in something about them besides how fast they can stock. Also it helps you understand why someone cannot stay 2 hours after they are scheduled.If you give someone a challenge on time, work alongside them and show them how to make their goal. Stand up for them. This is basic for anyone who has ever had the pleasure of taking the blame for everything that happens in the store, don't let people talk trash about them. Don't forget about any "area". Sure I hate soft lines, but I better be willing to spend some time with that team. Sit at lunch with them, it shows them that you are apart of the team too. Don't always reward the same people. There are always going to be people who are "go to" team members. Don't forget about the team members who take the time to help out coworkers or explain routines to newer team members. I have held many TL positions at Target and Flow was by far the most rewarding. I felt I really made a difference both to the store but more importantly to the team.

Like the above members said get to know your team on a personal level even if its just a little bit of info. This will let them know that you care about them not just as a body that works for you but as a person. Do it sincerely also. Make sure that you work along side them since this going to bring a lot of respect for you. No one likes a lazy leader that just bosses you around.

I work side by side with my team, whether it is actually throwing the trucks with a team member, bowling the store, working the line, pushing freight... but I've been a team member and worked my way up to now second assignment ETL-LOG so I know what it is like to have an ETL bark orders and not be committed and one who gains buy-in appropriately.

just like all others said get to know them. let them get to know you. work pn developing team members who perform well and dont just coach bottom performing tm retrain check for inderstanding then coach if need be. be as global as possible within the process i found working side by side to be imeffective so i ask the team hhow i can help besides planning the workload....i set ly team up for success clean up coardboard get cages tubs process defects and always follow up on issues they bring up to let them onow they are valued

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back