Archived calling out.for.health reasons

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have recently been diagnosed with lupus. Because of this, it has become more difficult walk and lift items. It is mainly severe arthritis-like conditions in my feet, ankles, and hands, along with difficulty breathing after the amount of exertion itbrequires just to walk. Often, I have to "sneak" bathroom breaks in order to be able to sit. With the amount of walking I do, by the end of the night, I have a lot of difficulty walking.

This morning called in for basically being unable to walk. This is the second time this month that I haven't been able to work. Now my store manager says we have to "have a ralk about my health and work". Is this a setup to "we no longer need you here at Target?" Do I need to get notes from my doctors explaining my condition? I hate working with this much pain, however it is the only way to have any insurance whatsoever.

I would talk to your doctor about doing an ADA request now!
Get it in writing and make it a formal request with all the details and a complete list of the details that you will be needing (extended breaks, possible time off).
All of these accommodations are ones that Spot can and must make for you but you must get it in writing and agreed to in writing.
Don't let them talk you into an "informal" arrangement, it will bite you.
But most important do it before you have that talk with your STL (like tomorrow).
Trust me I speak from experience.

Last edited:
That's unfortunately what I figured. One of my doctors actually suggested applying for SSDI, which, if possible, is not an unattractive option for me, as school has been difficult to do with my recent work history.

Getting SSDI can be a real challenge, you will probably be turned down at least for the first time or two.
However now is going to be the best time because I suspect the next couple of years it's going to get even worse.
There's a reason that a lot of lawyers make money helping people file for SSDI.

For now get the ADA request in so they can't do anything to you, please.
They would love nothing more then to get rid of a headache and I would so hate to see that.

Last edited:
As Commie said, you need to get under the protective umbrella of federal disability laws before your STL's talk so you can't get your feet kicked out from under you (not knowing your rights) & that's EXACTLY what Spot will try do.
Knowledge is power & this is one fight you don't want to go into unarmed.
So sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

Yes a Doctor's note is critical. Know your ADA rights as well. It is a very, very serious law and employers can get in a lot of hot water for breaking it.

Commie gives excellent advise. When I returned fron surgery to light duty..with all documentation that I could not lift any thing over 5lbs. for two weeks, slowly increasing the weight as I healed, the ETL's still told me to push. I said no. Not only get it in writing but keep copies. Things tend to be "misplaced".

have the doctor's note, and my manager seems to have forgotten to do this little talk. My concern is that by the time I got back after calling out for a day and a day off, the new schedule came out. Two days. Two days? Really?

It depends on how agressive you are but one of the options you have is to do the ADA request and then to point out that any cut in hours is going to look like retailation.
You will have to watch you back after that because they will be out to get you (nothing Spot hates more than having the truth pointed out in a very brutal fashion).

Go and talk to your HR about an "intermittent LOA", basically, they put you in the system as having a continuous medical condition. Each time you need to call out because of it, they don't count it against you. You need to get some papers filled out by your doctor, but it's pretty easy. PLUS it could save your job!

Great info! Can you used short term disability under that category too?

well my HR is out on military training for another two weeks. I lost all but two days of work next week and week after I have four shifts as a cashier. I assume this is my light duty. Last night was my first night back in several days and it was absolute torture by 9:00. It may not be too long unless the new medications kick in quickly...

You can use a stool as a cashier, that might help some.
Don't let them drive you into the ground.

So sorry to hear about your diagnosis wageslave :(

Don't let Spot bully you around, know your rights! I think commie posted some great info

Good luck :)

Well, now we'll see how this goes.

I have been transferred to cashier as a light duty jon "until I can be mobile enough" to work Electronics again. Yesterday, I had a massive lupus flareup and I can barely walk. They gave me hydrocodone, which means driving is out of the question. It'll be two, maybe three days out. Crossing my fingers that I still have a job.

As long as you put in the ADA request they cant fire you.
If they do, even it's for another cobbled up reason you can sue them.

I called in today and got my store manager. She recommended I call Hewitt and apply for an intermittent LOA. However, I don't qualify for FMLA and they guy on the phone said I would.most likely be turned down for the LOA. So, I'll have to make arrangements with the store managers themselves. I'm not seeing this ending well.

Screw all that go for the ADA.
They can't mess with you and trying to play their game just gets you caught in a mess of back and forth.
I know it's hard to come across as disabled but they need to know that you know your rights and will not be messed with under any circumstances.

That's why I wanted to deal with my HR guy, but he's out learning how to blow stuff up for the Army. I don't likendealing with my manager. I guess when I call tomorrow I'll bring up short-term disability. I'm just not sure how well-versed she is in HR rules past the basics (she can't fire/punish me for calling out so much, etc.).

We'll see. Doctor's appointment tomorrow...

That's why I wanted to deal with my HR guy, but he's out learning how to blow stuff up for the Army. I don't likendealing with my manager. I guess when I call tomorrow I'll bring up short-term disability. I'm just not sure how well-versed she is in HR rules past the basics (she can't fire/punish me for calling out so much, etc.).

We'll see. Doctor's appointment tomorrow...
Document everything.

and it was such a wonderful shock to hear the benefits guy say that I had barely racked up 1,000 work hours by this time, which would severly hinder my ability to get the official LOA. And I can tell you I have lost maybe 40 hours in the past two months to being sick, so that's not it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back