Archived Calling out on Christmas Eve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
During the seasonal hours survey or whatever I very clearly told out ETL-HR I could not close on Christmas Eve. I see my mom's family that night (who I don't get to see often).

However, when hours came out I was scheduled that day to close...the exact opposite of what I told them.

If I were to be left alone here, I would have no ride home (buses would have stopped running by then) or we would have to be really late.

So if I can't get my shift changed somehow I am seriously considering calling out. I have been with Spot for a year and I have never called out before. How serious would it be if I were to call out that day?

I have to be honest, the thought of calling out that day has crossed my mind as well. I close Christmas Eve, and open the day after Christmas and all of my family lives out of state. I'm completely heartbroken by this schedule. Oh, and my Muslim supervisor has Christmas Eve off.

But all reality, I'll be there. I just wish sometimes that working retail didn't mean we had to give up the important stuff.

I'd try and make sure you don't have to.
Go talk to the ETL-HR.
If you told them you couldn't work that shift there's a chance they will fix it and you won't have to worry about calling out.

If you were hired on the basis that you cannot work Xmas eve, you should be okay.

Talk to etl hr asap

ETL HR's aren't big mean monsters...they will try and work with you, especially if it's about something that you discussed previously. When it comes to schedules there are usually too many fingers in the pie to gaurentee that you'll get a certain shift based on a verbal confirmation, but yeah, talk to your HR. I'm sure they'll be able to work soemthing out. They will also appreciate it if you take the initiative to talk to anyone who can swap shifts or take the shift for you...it saves them a lot of leg work.

ETL HR's aren't big mean monsters...they will try and work with you, especially if it's about something that you discussed previously. When it comes to schedules there are usually too many fingers in the pie to gaurentee that you'll get a certain shift based on a verbal confirmation, but yeah, talk to your HR. I'm sure they'll be able to work soemthing out. They will also appreciate it if you take the initiative to talk to anyone who can swap shifts or take the shift for you...it saves them a lot of leg work.

I ended up calling our ETL-HR a couple hours ago...the conversation was much shorter than expected - as basic as it could get but I was told that she would try and fix it. I am so thankful she is so understanding and easy to work with :)

I've called out twice in about four years at Spot - I will list them for you.

Christmas Eve after I had been working there for almost a year - our then ETL GE/Softlines basically asked me if I was serious and I stated that I was. Definitely was rough at work for several weeks but I got past it. It's not recommended though, they won't like you for it.

Second was game six of the 2009 World Series - I told our then STL I had an ear infection - I got to watch the game instead of closing and saw them win it. It was a good move.

Other than that I've never called out, and I've maybe been late two or three times ever.

I really don't think they care ( could be wrong though) it's the day after thanksgiving they really care about. I know several TMs asked off for Christmas eve ( got denied) and they switched with different people. I mean sure no one likes anyone calling off but like I said it's the Day after Thanksgiving they really,really fret about they won't can anyone if someone calls off on Christmas Eve, New Years Eve, News Year Day well maybe New Years Day because they know people are just calling in because they are calling in because they are hungover:wacko: and they really can't can them but they will say something like I need a doctor's excuse lol.

Last edited:
I am not trying to be harsh here but I am just stating the reality of retail.

If your availability says you can work...you will have the chance of working. Just because you tell your ETL or HR that you cannot a certain day, especially a holiday, doesn't mean it will work out.

At the stores I worked in my retail past, Black Friday and the Day After are the two days a year that everyone was available. Unless prior circumstances (like childcare, transportation issues, 2nd employment, or such) were already discussed with Store Management and leave was approved. Usually all leave is blacked out and automatically denied if not previously discussed.

In the end, if you are seasonal, your permanent employment chances are on the line. For permanents, your work relations and possible corrective action are your chances.

Yes of course holidays are important in retail our HR last year was super cool he approved everyone literally everyone christmas eve whatever first come whatever except day after Thanksgiving of course. This year we got a new HR and she ran a tighter ship and said under no circumstances and she means no circumstances will be approved and she meant business she denied everyone left and right so when people saw the schedules on Christmas Eve they had to switch with others plain and simple that's how it worked.

Christmas is a Christian holiday. There are those of us who would like to ask for a bit of time off to be able to celebrate it, but are unable to do so, but those who don't celebrate the day are given the time off around the holiday. That was all I was saying.

I adore my supervisor, and would do anything for him. I help him celebrate Ramadan, because I think it's a super cool holiday. But it's all good...I know my relationship with my supervisor...I don't need you to validate that for me.

Christmas is a Christian holiday. There are those of us who would like to ask for a bit of time off to be able to celebrate it, but are unable to do so, but those who don't celebrate the day are given the time off around the holiday. That was all I was saying.

I adore my supervisor, and would do anything for him. I help him celebrate Ramadan, because I think it's a super cool holiday. But it's all good...I know my relationship with my supervisor...I don't need you to validate that for me.

Do you not understand why a company cannot plan days off around religious beliefs? Don't you think other people want to spend time with their families as well, even if they aren't celebrating a holiday?

The computer only does some of the scheduling right now...so certain things could be taken into consideration if they wanted to. If they don't want to, that's their prerogative. And if you want to talk about spending time with family, I am the only one in the front end who has to close Christmas Eve, turn around and open the day after Christmas and has ZERO family in this state.

I'm from a place where those of us who had family/plans in town would work the later shifts so those who needed to leave town earlier could do so. Spot doesn't operate that way, and doesn't care if I spend Christmas alone. I get that. But that doesn't mean I am going to embrace it, either.

Seeing all of this, and in talking to others at my store, I am lucky to have a TL who is willing to work with us. I volunteered to come in Thanksgiving, so when I asked if I could open on Christmas eve, they were totally fine with it and made it happen. I think I've said thanks about a million times for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back