Archived calling out this week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadie

lydianmodeee
I know to NOT call out on thanksgiving/black Friday, but I am currently very ill and have a shift tomorrow (Wednesday). I already called out once on Monday. I know this whole week is crazy, would it look bad calling out Wed? I've only called out once my whole time with Spot, so this is unusual for me...

I think every store has their own "guide" of sorts. In my store, we are very understaffed and any call out at all between this week and New Year's day is an immediate coaching. Maybe if you are sick and possibly have a doctor's note, they'll be okay with it. Or perhaps your store isn't like mine and they'll understand that being sick is a legitimate excuse to not be at work.

Also, the Proust quote in your signature is one of my favorites of all time. :)

I mean...you know your store better than we do. If you're worried, get a doctor's note. They might be mad, but they can't touch you then.

My store is incredibly understaffed too, but I don't really know the policy on this week... I don't know if I should call HR or what, I really don't want to get coached lol but I don't have anyone I feel like I can talk to there, including HR. I dont have a doctors note, and my managers have already been kind of hard on me for asking to leave early last week. It just sucks, I've had near perfect attendance these past few years and yet TMs call out left and right around me, and they never say a word. Last week I even had guests coming up to me saying "Why the heck are you at work right now?!"

and thanks, it definitely is an amazing quote :)

I'm unable to go to the doctors

I know to NOT call out on thanksgiving/black Friday, but I am currently very ill and have a shift tomorrow (Wednesday). I already called out once on Monday. I know this whole week is crazy, would it look bad calling out Wed? I've only called out once my whole time with Spot, so this is unusual for me...
you better be on your fucking death bed if you're claiming illness.

If you've had perfect attendance, you should be fine. I got the flu last year and had to call out the 23rd and 24th of December. I felt like such a jerk, but because I never call out, they knew it was legit. Also, like my TL told me, it's actually easier to cover call offs at this time of year with the number of seasonals and number of people working...they can just shuffle people around and extend shifts.

If you're genuinely too sick to go to work, then yeah, call out. What choice is there? You can also just go in, and then ask to go home. At least in my store, if they notice you're really sick, they send you home anyway. It feels better being sent home than calling out because it puts the responsibility of the decision on someone other than you, which means you're kind of protected.

As long as you're not one to call out all the time, you should be fine.

p
If you're genuinely too sick to go to work, then yeah, call out. What choice is there? You can also just go in, and then ask to go home. At least in my store, if they notice you're really sick, they send you home anyway. It feels better being sent home than calling out because it puts the responsibility of the decision on someone other than you, which means you're kind of protected.

As long as you're not one to call out all the time, you should be fine.

that was my thought process last week, (I've been sick for three weeks) so i showed up to every shift and everyone knew I was sick, i mean even guests were telling me to go home, but when I asked to leave early they made a huge deal out of it so I didn't. And the next day I was scheduled to be off at 4 and they said, "yeah were gonna need you to stay til 5 because there's no coverage in electronics until then" so its obvious the managers don't give a shit...

If you feel you can muscle thru your shift and not make yourself more sick, go in. If you have to work very slowly, work very slowly. If management doesn't care for your pace, you can ask them if they would prefer that you leave.

if you feel that going in to work could cause you to relapse or get more sick definitely stay home.

Your health is more important! It's not likely that anyone in management is going to miss out on part of their bonus because you were sick. It's not likely that a stockholder will call to thank you for helping them earn more money. If you are sick, you are sick. Your co workers know you have good attendance, so if you're out, it's legit. Too much emphasis on the guests (yeah, I know they make paychecks possible), and not enough respect for the folks who make Black Friday happen.

If you have perfect attendance you should be fine... if you have habit of "crying wolf" than you might be in trouble. If you are really truly worried than go to your Doctor to get a note for them. Hope you feel better soon!

p

that was my thought process last week, (I've been sick for three weeks) so i showed up to every shift and everyone knew I was sick, i mean even guests were telling me to go home, but when I asked to leave early they made a huge deal out of it so I didn't. And the next day I was scheduled to be off at 4 and they said, "yeah were gonna need you to stay til 5 because there's no coverage in electronics until then" so its obvious the managers don't give a shit...

If your managers don't give a shit, stay home and take care of yourself!

Go in and get everyone sick including all the guests and team members. Try to breathe real hard on the managers too.
This way no one can work or shop on thanksgiving or Black Friday either. Make sure you sneeze all over the registers and the credit card machines too.

Seriously. Get well. Drink tea. Lots of tea with honey. And also orange juice.
Why can't you go to the dr? If you are that sick, you probably need to see one. Do you have a walk in clinic where you can go?

Where I am working now. If you call out a day before or after a holiday and don't bring in a note, you have to forfeit the holiday pay. Target doesn't do that.

I would say you have a few choices. Don't go in and deal with being on the shit list once you go back.
Go in and have them see how sick you are and hope they send you home (don't count on that)
Go to dr. Get a note and sleep well not feeling guilty.

Any of you guys ever call out the day before thanksgiving? Lol

I'm here debating the same thing, and mad at myself for debating instead of just making a simple decision.

I'm here debating the same thing, and mad at myself for debating instead of just making a simple decision.

I've been doing the same thing the past few hours, but after reading all the replies, (thank you everyone!) just now decided to call in and let them know i can't come in tomorrow. its unreasonable to expect someone to come in if they're really that unable to work. If you're really sick and feel it would only make it worse by going in (i know that is true for me) like some people here already said, your health>Target. Plus this way it'll give you more time to recuperate before black Friday, and if you call in now, it'll give them the whole night to figure out shift coverage. Looks a lot better than calling in tomorrow an hour before youre scheduled. Hopefully youre not someone that calls out all the time, but its not worth risking your health, despite what they might say. Plus, then you won't have to feel stressed out about it the whole night. Feel better!

Last edited:
Thank you Sadie! I too made the same decision, then came back to find your excellent and kind post. Cheers to you for taking care of yourself, and I hope you feel much better! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back