Archived calling out this week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Last year, I was sooooo sick the week of Thanksgiving. But I went to work. Just after Christmas, the STL said, "Hey, you're looking better. For a while there, I didn't think you were going to make it." Did she ever think to send me home? Did she ever think that perhaps I wasn't going to make it? Did she care? Nope. Looking back, I'd have called out. Do what's right for you. If you can do this, then do it. If you're that sick. stay home. It's actually pretty simple.

I mean...you know your store better than we do. If you're worried, get a doctor's note. They might be mad, but they can't touch you then.

My store refuses to even look at doctors notes, claims they don't matter.

I took three days off in a row two weeks ago though, no one questioned me about being sick. We were busy, one shift was a 8 hour SFS shift, the other two were GSA shifts, they weren't easy to cover I am sure, but I sounded sick as a dog when calling in.

If you're sick, you're sick. Call out. I always thought it was better to give them notice to find someone else than to leave them high and dry. My store also refuses acknowledge doctors notes. Doesn't care about them, so don't waste your time or money going. I hope you feel better soon. :)

I've never not shown up for work since the start of my first job. The only way I'd call in is if I'm in a hospital bed.
Not everything sends you to the hospital when you're sick. I had the flu last year...103F fever. I certainly didn't need to go to the hospital, but being at work and getting everyone else sick is irresponsible.

Not everything sends you to the hospital when you're sick. I had the flu last year...103F fever. I certainly didn't need to go to the hospital, but being at work and getting everyone else sick is irresponsible.
If you get "everyone else" sick, then yes, you are irresponsible. In my opinion, it is also irresponsible to not show up for work if you have the sniffles. It sounds like the OP is worse off, but people have posted in these forums about not showing up for work with not much more than the sniffles. People should do what they think is right. And what is right might be different for each person.

If you get "everyone else" sick, then yes, you are irresponsible. In my opinion, it is also irresponsible to not show up for work if you have the sniffles. It sounds like the OP is worse off, but people have posted in these forums about not showing up for work with not much more than the sniffles.

I'm with you, if you're just a little run down then most likely you can tough it out. The only other time I've called out my whole time at Target was when I had a horrible fever and sinus infection and was scheduled to cart attend when it was pouring rain outside the whole day. But when you're legitimately sick, it's ridiculous for managers to not care about their teams. The classic is, at my store so many people call out constantly for anything from a hangover to a party they didn't want to miss, yet they keep their jobs. Guess ya can't escape favoritism, no matter where you're at.

Last edited:
Personally, I think calling out at all this week is going to get you whacked in most stores. A friend of a friend's store is pretty laid-back and cool about things, but the word is that this week is one that you show up and get sent home if you're truly ill. It'll help out in the long run, too. My friend called out twice super early in his 90, but he worked two shifts with a fever later that proved that calling out is something he'd do only if it was necessary.

I wouldn't call out this week, but who knows what your store is like and your role. I will say, though, that with all of the staging and preparation for Black Thursday/Friday going on, especially Wednesday, it's almost the same thing.

All of that said, no job is worth risking your health. If you're really ill, go with a thermometer or something and show them so they can send you home. If they don't, you shouldn't be very concerned about maintaining a position where someone would rather you risk your health and the health of others to grab a few pulls or something.

I know to NOT call out on thanksgiving/black Friday, but I am currently very ill and have a shift tomorrow (Wednesday). I already called out once on Monday. I know this whole week is crazy, would it look bad calling out Wed? I've only called out once my whole time with Spot, so this is unusual for me...
Go to work but express that you are not feeling well. If you are contagious, really make point when you call in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back