Archived Calling out when out of town?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owl

I know this is dumb because it's my own fault for not requesting the days off (though, in my defense, the computers were down forever because of mytime and when I could get on, the "time off" button had disappeared) but I'm going out of town this weekend and I'm supposed to close market both nights. Will they fire me for calling in both days? I'm going in today to see if I can bully/bribe the only other part time market tm into taking my shifts, but if he doesn't do it, I have no backup plan.

I don't think they'll fire me because one electronics guy had three ncns in a row and he's still here. Another woman called out for like four days after spring break and she's still here, too. My only problem is that I did this once before last December and I don't want them to think I'm going to do it all the time now...

Also, what should I say if I call in? They'll know I'm not sick because it's on the shift swap board and I've tried getting people to take the shifts.

Sorry this is long and stupid but I appreciate any responses.

Sorry...you are stuck with it. All leave must be submitted prior to the schedule being created. If you couldn't submit it by MyTime, you should have approached your ETL-HR, ETL, or TL about time off. There should still be paper forms for time off.

If you are under 90 days, yes they can fire you. If you are over 90 days, they can coach or write you up for attendance issues.

If you do end up calling in for 2 days, it would be wise to fake having strep or a stomach bug or something contagious. Stay off social media and let your voicemail pick up your phone calls.

If you do end up calling in for 2 days, it would be wise to fake having strep or a stomach bug or something contagious. Stay off social media and let your voicemail pick up your phone calls.
^^^^Yes, do this. The less you say, the better off you'll be. There are narcs that stalk facebook and love the attention they get on tattling to the bosses. I've had it happen. I trust no one.
I really doubt you'll get fired. They don't even ask for doctor's notes.....lol
Next time though, get with someone to fill out the paper request off form to cover your butt. :)

Thanks but i've already told a bunch of people that I'm going out of town :/

It's it better to lie and say I'm sick even though I put it on the swap board, the communication binder, and told a bunch of people, or is it better to just say I'm out of town?

You could be like me and have had your (perfectly reasonable, I think) time off request denied by HR without even an explanation. I requested next Thurs to the following Monday off, ~ a month ago (like a week or two before the cutoff date for the first 3 days). I got a message saying it had been auto-denied by the system because it hadn't been approved before the cutoff date.

Guessing it's because there are only 3 other GSAs and 2 GSTLs and all of the above work 35+ hours every week except 1 GSA who only works 1 day a week because she has a fulltime job elsewhere. Still shitty, I'm now stuck paying a friend back for a PAX East badge I can't use. Thankfully I was planning to use buddy passes to get from here to Boston because otherwise I'd be on the hook for a roundtrip cross-country plane ticket too :mad:

You could be like me and have had your (perfectly reasonable, I think) time off request denied by HR without even an explanation. I requested next Thurs to the following Monday off, ~ a month ago (like a week or two before the cutoff date for the first 3 days). I got a message saying it had been auto-denied by the system because it hadn't been approved before the cutoff date.

Guessing it's because there are only 3 other GSAs and 2 GSTLs and all of the above work 35+ hours every week except 1 GSA who only works 1 day a week because she has a fulltime job elsewhere. Still shitty, I'm now stuck paying a friend back for a PAX East badge I can't use. Thankfully I was planning to use buddy passes to get from here to Boston because otherwise I'd be on the hook for a roundtrip cross-country plane ticket too :mad:
That doesn't mean it was turned down. That means no one did anything about it and the schedule was made. So all you have to do is say you requested it off. They need to post your shifts to replace them.

Just tell your TL that MYTime was fucked up and you couldn't submit time off and you wont be able to be there those days. If they say tough luck, just do what you need to do (call out).

You shouldn't have to suffer when their systems don't work.

My guess is their response will be that there were paper forms available for the taking/asking.

Just call them up and say you won't be in. The reason doesn't matter, and there's no point in lying because they'll know you had the shifts on the swap board.

Right after Christmas, a TM had a shift up on the board...and no one took it. Well, the TM's grandma ended up dying so she had to call in, anyway. Most of the leadership didn't believe her. Not a huge deal...she's still employed and not close to being out the door...but it was a breach of trust in some people's eyes that she had to get over (silly as that is).

Last edited:
My guess is their response will be that there were paper forms available for the taking/asking.

Just call them up and say you won't be in. The reason doesn't matter, and there's no point in lying because they'll know you had the shifts on the swap board.

Right after Christmas, a TM had a shift up on the board...and no one took it. Well, the TM's grandma ended up dying so she had to call in, anyway. Most of the leadership didn't believe her. Not a huge deal...she's still employed and not close to being out the door...but it was a breach of trust in some people's eyes that she had to get over (silly as that is).
one would think that an obituary would solve that one real quick. If someone questioned me on something like that, I would throw it in their damn face.

It's it better to lie and say I'm sick even though I put it on the swap board, the communication binder, and told a bunch of people, or is it better to just say I'm out of town?

don't lie and say you're sick. they know you wanted off, so even if you really got sick they wouldn't believe you. if you end up having to call out, it shouldn't be the end of the world, worse things have happened. if you want to throw around a fake cough here and there, and let some people *think* you're sick, no harm, but don't go around saying you're sick. while you're out, don't post about it all over facebook (hello, "block everyone on my *work* list" privacy controls!), and just don't comment on it when you come back. just say you couldn't come in, you don't have to say anything other than that.

That doesn't mean it was turned down. That means no one did anything about it and the schedule was made. So all you have to do is say you requested it off. They need to post your shifts to replace them.

It's true that they weren't necessarily turned down, but if it was never accepted, then they are not obliged to post the shifts and find a replacement.

Still, I bet you could raise enough of a stink with the ETL-HR and get them to help you find replacements for those shifts. It's your direct ETL's responsibility to approve or deny all time-off requests before the cutoff time...if they let stuff slide into auto-deny, your HR can get really unhappy with them.

GRANTED, with the recent switch to MyTime, I think the system dropped a lot of requests that had been put in in the weeks prior and right after the switch. I had a one-day request that went to auto-deny because I'm convinced my ETL didn't even see it show up for him...he approved all my other requests that I'd put in afterwards, but didn't take care of the first one. I let my HR know and they worked with me so I could still get the day off. You have to have a bit more patience with everyone these days with system troubles because MyTime has been a colossal headache for everyone so far.

one would think that an obituary would solve that one real quick. If someone questioned me on something like that, I would throw it in their damn face.

Nah, they didn't question her to her face...they just made comments behind her back about it. Who needs high school when you have Spot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back