Archived Calling out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m new to Target and I also have a second job. On Saturday I’m schedule for both and I can’t work both and I basically have to choose which job I want to go to. They need me in my 2nd job, so how do I call out, and will this look bad on my part?

Calling out definitely isn't going to look great, but if you haven't called out before, I wouldn't sweat it too much. I would actually start by putting your shift on the swap board first, to see if anyone would be willing to take the shift for you. Since it's a few days beforehand, and a lot of TMs are looking for more hours, it might not be too hard to find someone to take it for you. Then, if you can't find anyone to cover for you, you'll have to call out.

That all being said, I would make sure that your availability is set differently for each of your jobs. For example, if you said that you're available to work all day at Target on Saturdays, you have to tell your second job that you're unavailable on Saturdays.

Definitely try to find coverage and talk to your ETL now about. The first thing they're going to want to know is: Why are you just now realizing that you're double scheduled and how did that happen? You're given your Target schedule 2 weeks out so either you knew 2 weeks ago that you'd been double booked or you failed to let your other job know you'd be unavailable on Saturday so they scheduled you then too. Yes it's going to look bad but depending on how you go about preventing this in the future will determine if you're still considered reliable or not. Are you going to take steps to ensure this doesn't happen again? If yes, then share that with your ETL. If no, then don't expect to be at Target long.

Always try to find coverage first, it doesn’t look as bad if you’ve already got a solution.

With modernization, expect this to get worse. I have two jobs and my Target never wants to work around my second job's schedule. They screw up my availability about once a month so I usually end up calling in since my other job obviously pays more and expects more of me.

However, if your availability has been approved, you should give them hell for this. I've had to numerous times to get them to fix my schedule, even going straight to our ETL-HR.

They may not work around your second job. I know this happened to me a couple of summers when I was nannying and working at a second job besides Target. This year, I'm working a seasonal job, so one of my fellow TMs told me just to request the days off when I'm working the seasonal job.

With the hours Target is giving lately...it shouldn't be a problem. (At least I think so.)

Grt your shift covered my second job is great working around target but since they have far less people to rrly on as soon as i see my schedules confluct i get my targrt shift covered. Its easy now with low hours. IF you cant grt coverage (do not wait until the day before or day of) let your etl or hr know asap so they can help get it sorted. If they dont take you off the schedule (keep an eye on kronos) then call out the day of asap. Dont wait until just before your shif t in case they choose to have someone extend to cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back