• Thread starter JimmyTarget
  • Start date
  • Replies 13
  • Views 2K
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JimmyTarget

So... I have a friend (not me, seriously) and he/she call in/out to his/her shift yesterday.
And they were approached by their ETL (Not HR) today to ask why they weren't at work. He/She said family reasons. This ETL kept trying to get the "real" reason out of him/her... while suggesting if it is needed, to consider family counseling if there are family problems and that he/she is always there for help with counseling if there are problems at home.

Am I wrong, or does this cross a HUGE line in assuming they need counseling? I told them to go to HR, but he/she doesn't want to cause problems in the store.

Sounds like the ETL was just trying to be helpful but went a bit overboard.

If I were in that TMs place, I would have just said "What?? No...It has nothing to do with needing anything like that."

We can ask why they weren't there so it can be recorded in the attendance log. If this absence is becoming a trend we may fish for more because it sucks having family problems and being put on a CA or coached at work. "Family problems" is a common excuse often abused by employees. Maybe the ETL was being genuine. Maybe the ETL wanted to know before laying down the hammer later. Maybe the ETL needed a reason to get HR off their back and hoped it was an actual excuse and not just the typical 3 answers.

I can't emphasize how much "family issues" was used on the Attendence log. What does that mean? Almost anything. Some ETLs will reach out and offer LOA verses what they're being told to do, which is give a CA.

We can ask why they weren't there so it can be recorded in the attendance log. If this absence is becoming a trend we may fish for more because it sucks having family problems and being put on a CA or coached at work. "Family problems" is a common excuse often abused by employees. Maybe the ETL was being genuine. Maybe the ETL wanted to know before laying down the hammer later. Maybe the ETL needed a reason to get HR off their back and hoped it was an actual excuse and not just the typical 3 answers.

I can't emphasize how much "family issues" was used on the Attendence log. What does that mean? Almost anything. Some ETLs will reach out and offer LOA verses what they're being told to do, which is give a CA.

It was family reasons not issues. Wording is key here because they was never a hint of an actual problem.

It was his/her maybe 2nd call in this year. Not great, but nothing worthy of a CA.

Family issues/reasons is very broad. From my significant other beat the shit out of me to I don't have gas in my car because Target pays in peanuts. Or can't find a babysitter or flat out didn't want to work or my drunk father slashed my tires in a fit of rage.

If the TM wants me to assume something I'm more likely to assume negligence (didn't care to show up) since that is what I was hit with the most. If I remember correctly we were trained to offer the option of free counseling, which is a Target benefit for its employees. Not given by the ETL but by a professional over the phone or sometimes in person.

I vaguely remember the brochure we could give out.

Scenario - TM call outs for family reasons. TM shows no signs of stress. TM later commits suicide or is killed by lover, the Leadership team is questioned when the TMs attendance record is reviewed and sees "Family issue/reason" as the details/reason for calling out.

Seems obsessive but it can happen.

I recommend all TMs use "sick" as an excuse, especially if you don't want follow up questions. We all get sick.

Last edited:
If you call out no one can ask you why. Now if this person really does have family problems that could be affecting job performance than they should bring it up with HR.

If you call out no one can ask you why. Now if this person really does have family problems that could be affecting job performance than they should bring it up with HR.
False - when TMs called out HR forced us to ask for the reason so it can be keyed in. If the LOD/ETL didn't get a reason then HR would ask the TM. If the TM didn't give a reason then it was marked as no reason.

TMs have the right to not give a reason, however a valid reason can save a TM from going on CA.

"Sick" can't have further questioning other than suggesting a doctor's note. "Suggest" is key because we can not ask for one as proof. However we "suggest" because a doctor's note clears that call-out and we do so as a courtesy. We could just careless about the excuse and say who cares? But surprisingly some ETLs care about their TMs and fellow coworkers.

A TM can get written up for too many sick call-outs without a documented health condition. Target doesn't have to know the health condition but a note can validate the absence. For those with a health condition, I would recommend talking with Hewitt, or whatever the contracted company is so Target can make accommodations.

Family as an excuse raises concerns - abuse, neglect, depression, etc. It's up to the TM to decide. But if Target offers counseling then they did their due diligence to protect themselves. Don't want Target to ask questions? Just say sick.

Not all stores are the same.

Am I wrong, or does this cross a HUGE line in assuming they need counseling? I told them to go to HR, but he/she doesn't want to cause problems in the store.

This could have just been "putting a check in the box" to protect Target later. Or maybe the ETL has been noticing a change in performance and wanted to follow-up. A lot is missing with this since we weren't there. I don't think this issue is as big as it initially sounds - unless there is more to the story.

Etls are encouraged to ask probing questions but to not directly ask why a tm is calling out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back