Archived Can cart attendant wear sweaters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMrIce

Cart Attendant
So I'm a cart attendant and lately it has been cold and wet. I was wondering if cart attendants can wear sweaters and if so does color matter?

Also, what about long sleeve shirts? Can I wear a long sleeve red shirt?

Last edited:
anything red goes in our store. I got a comfy hoodie and keep it in clerical for days that I help get carts in the snow, spend all day helping reset freezers or for when I'm freezing at the recieving desk. They will be glad you are comfortable and prepared for the weather!!

Anything red works. Best bet, red hanes or c9 hoodie from mens section. Get a one size up from your usual size. So that you can put several layers of shirts, etc when it gets real cold. Don't forget to wear your safety vest!

in the winter you can wear jackets, don't need to be red either as long as you have safety vest over it :)

If your store has a PFresh or is a super, you can grab a freezer jacket and gloves.

My stores usually helped provide jackets, raincoats, and winter items to CAs for adverse weather. But since its sweater weather for you, they might make you wear a red sweater.

Usually they don't care what you wear outside in adverse weather except for the safety vest. When temps went below 20 at one of my stores, I brought in my NorthFace Jacket and thermals.

Is a long sleeve black or white shirt underneath a red polo against brand or is it ok?

As far as a cart attendant wearing a sweater--- of COURSE you can! That would be insane if Target made cart attendants freeze their bums off in the fall/winter. I say red is best, but I believe the "official" word is that you can swear any color jacket in the cold, just make sure you wear your vest over it.

As far as wearing a different colored shirt underneath your red, I can't contribute any definites. All I can tell you is that at my store even the execs will wear a black or white long-sleeve under a red short-sleeve.

You can wear any color jacket as long as you have Red & K underneath.

If you need multiple layers you can have diff colors underneath your red (ex: white).

As an ex-cart att, I always wore a White T under a red polo during fall/winter/spring.. During hottest summer months I'd wear khakki shorts + one of those Champion tech tees (red). Just don't wear a tank top whatever you do.

in the winter you can wear jackets, don't need to be red either as long as you have safety vest over it :)

I've always loved the whole "safety vest" thing.

I've never worked for Target, but I have had many "discussions" over the years regarding "safety vests."

You see, they're just concerned about my "safety."

No they're not.

They're concerned that if some moron runs over me in the parking lot, I'll turn around and sue them.

I once almost got run over by a customer while I was INSIDE the store and so the whole safety vest thing just seems silly to me.

Only one or two of our cart attendants actually wear the safety vests. And as far as a sweater or jacket, you're allowed to wear one to keep you warm in cold weather, as long as you wear the safety vest and have a red shirt on underneath with your nametag. Long-sleeve shirts underneath are allowed as long as your outer shirt is red.

I've always loved the whole "safety vest" thing.

I've never worked for Target, but I have had many "discussions" over the years regarding "safety vests."

You see, they're just concerned about my "safety."

No they're not.

They're concerned that if some moron runs over me in the parking lot, I'll turn around and sue them.

I once almost got run over by a customer while I was INSIDE the store and so the whole safety vest thing just seems silly to me.

Oh please.

If anything they're trying to PREVENT safety incidents from happening. Its not good for corporate insurance if Target is a high risk client.

It is important to wear the safety vest at all times while doing cart returns, because it makes you more visible to motorists and reduces the likelihood of a car striking you. As co safety captain at my store I ensure that all cart attendants wear them.

Just because Target benefits from team members working safe (lower insurance premimums), doesn't mean that you "Anti Target Crusaders" should jeopardize your own safety on the job or neglect safety practices.

Well my GSTL requisition me a new jacket and it kept me warm for my shift. All the cart attendants today actually got new jackets that are grey and they came with a little bag so we can put our name on it and leave it at the store so whenever its cold or raining.

If you're store does not supply them you can wear whatever you want outside although you need to wear the yellow safety vest over it. Some stores have a communal jacket/coat that has been requisitioned (and gloves, hats, etc) but they smell like crap and probably never get washed, at least at my store!

Anyhow, check with your ETL:GE or STL if you guys have anything 'store specific' but I would not see any problems for you to wear your own thing no matter what color!

Oh please.

If anything they're trying to PREVENT safety incidents from happening. Its not good for corporate insurance if Target is a high risk client.

It is important to wear the safety vest at all times while doing cart returns, because it makes you more visible to motorists and reduces the likelihood of a car striking you. As co safety captain at my store I ensure that all cart attendants wear them.

Just because Target benefits from team members working safe (lower insurance premimums), doesn't mean that you "Anti Target Crusaders" should jeopardize your own safety on the job or neglect safety practices.

You might want to have a reread of my earlier post.

That Target is trying to PREVENT safety incidents is EXACTLY what I said.

My point is, like any other company, they are playing CYA.

If you have your safety vest on and you still get run over in the parking lot and then you try to sue them, they can show to a jury that they made a "reasonable effort" to prevent you being run over in the parking lot.

I'm old enough to have learned to look both ways before crossing the street and so I resent being told that I HAVE to wear a safety vest. Even more so when I KNOW that my safety isn't their real concern.

Oh and how about all of the customers walking around the parking lot.

Where are their safety vests?

I wore my hoodies and jackets when I was a CA at spot. In the winder months I wore a white or black long sleeve shirt with my red t-shirt over it. My store was fine with it. My own personal gloves and hat too,.

I don't know about you but if I got hit in the parking lot, I wouldn't be suing Target. I'd be suing the non-observant piece of ************ that ran me over.

I'd be looking BOTH ways before crossing the street to start with.

Parking lot =/= "street"

Pedestrians have the right of way in the parking lot, and some motorists can be borderline challenged when it comes to parking lot driving.

Say "look both ways" all you want, but Safety Vests are vital in making Cart Attendants (and TPS team members) visible to guests in the parking lot. Especially during times of limited visibility such as night, or periods of severe weather.

Just because Target benefits by Team Members working safe (and you are obviously anti-spot) doesn't mean you should neglect safety best practice. It is your LIFE that is on the line.

Parking lot =/= "street"

Pedestrians have the right of way in the parking lot, and some motorists can be borderline challenged when it comes to parking lot driving.

Say "look both ways" all you want, but Safety Vests are vital in making Cart Attendants (and TPS team members) visible to guests in the parking lot. Especially during times of limited visibility such as night, or periods of severe weather.

Just because Target benefits by Team Members working safe (and you are obviously anti-spot) doesn't mean you should neglect safety best practice. It is your LIFE that is on the line.

I'm neither "anti-spot" or pro-spot, I'm just telling you how it is with any large corporation.

You are a minor and easily replaced cog in a wheel.

I'm not saying they WANT for their employees to be hurt, I'm just saying their main concern is their own potential liability.

I think it's great that they provide their employees with safety vests to wear when they go out on the lot at night, I just don't like being TOLD I have to wear one.

That would be because, as I said before, I learned to look both ways before crossing the street a longtime ago.

Sure, legally speaking, pedestrians have the right of way.

That doesn't mean I'm going to walk out in front of a car and just assume the driver is going to see me and yield the right of way.

I don't even make that kind of dumbass assumption when I'm in the safety of a car.

Also, how do you get to work in the first place?

Driving a car, sharing the road with those same people who are driving through your parking lot, is infinitely more dangerous.

Last edited:
I'm neither "anti-spot" or pro-spot, I'm just telling you how it is with any large corporation.

You are a minor and easily replaced cog in a wheel.

I'm not saying they WANT for their employees to be hurt, I'm just saying their main concern is their own potential liability.

I think it's great that they provide their employees with safety vests to wear when they go out on the lot at night, I just don't like being TOLD I have to wear one.

That would be because, as I said before, I learned to look both ways before crossing the street a longtime ago.

Sure, legally speaking, pedestrians have the right of way.

That doesn't mean I'm going to walk out in front of a car and just assume the driver is going to see me and yield the right of way.

I don't even make that kind of dumbass assumption when I'm in the safety of a car.

Also, how do you get to work in the first place?

Driving a car, sharing the road with those same people who are driving through your parking lot, is infinitely more dangerous.

Wearing the safety vest is a job expectation, and you can be coached/terminated if you consistently violate it.

Wearing the safety vest is a job expectation, and you can be coached/terminated if you consistently violate it.

I don't at all doubt you on that.

I'm just saying it is not YOUR well being they are really looking out for.

Again, I've nothing against Target per se, that's just how it is with any company.

Wait till you almost get hit on parking lot. You are on the clock, Wear the vest. Imagine working on as a cop directing traffic, they have their vest on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back