Archived Can cart attendant wear sweaters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its Simple

Its really Simple, Don't want to wear the vest find a new job, you work for Target they make the rules good or bad not you...

Wait till you almost get hit on parking lot. You are on the clock, Wear the vest. Imagine working on as a cop directing traffic, they have their vest on.

You're comparing apples and oranges there.

In order to direct traffic, cops need to be as visible as possible.

They're going to have on reflective vests, some type of flashlight and most likely a patrol car parked nearby with its lights flashing so that people will think, hey, somethings going on, I need to slow down and pay attention.

Collecting carts from the parking lot isn't even vaguely the same thing.

I was actually thinking about this today while shopping at a store I used to work at.

Well, not the same store, but the same chain.

Used to be, there were no vests.

While I was working there, vests came along but they were optional.

These days, they're mandatory.

Yet this same company that makes vests mandatory because they are so concerned for the safety of their employees also requires their employees to park at the far end of the parking lot and the outside lights automatically turn off after closing.

That was a long, lonely walk at one O'clock in the morning and I'm saying that as a guy.

Yet the same company that doesn't give a rat's ass about their employees walking all the way across a dark parking lot, at one in the morning, wants them to wear safety vests when working the lot because they're concerned about their safety.

Utter, complete BS.

You're comparing apples and oranges there.

In order to direct traffic, cops need to be as visible as possible.

They're going to have on reflective vests, some type of flashlight and most likely a patrol car parked nearby with its lights flashing so that people will think, hey, somethings going on, I need to slow down and pay attention.

Collecting carts from the parking lot isn't even vaguely the same thing.

I was actually thinking about this today while shopping at a store I used to work at.

Well, not the same store, but the same chain.

Used to be, there were no vests.

While I was working there, vests came along but they were optional.

These days, they're mandatory.

Yet this same company that makes vests mandatory because they are so concerned for the safety of their employees also requires their employees to park at the far end of the parking lot and the outside lights automatically turn off after closing.

That was a long, lonely walk at one O'clock in the morning and I'm saying that as a guy.

Yet the same company that doesn't give a rat's ass about their employees walking all the way across a dark parking lot, at one in the morning, wants them to wear safety vests when working the lot because they're concerned about their safety.

Utter, complete BS.

Actually according to the practice at my store (and official Target policy maybe?) is that if you are going to be Entering/Leaving the building when it is dark out, you can park close to the front.

At my store, we MUST park at the far side of the lot at all times, regardless of when we are entering/leaving. It just so happens this particular spot does not have a camera nearby nor are any lights on after 10:00pm (all salesfloor people leave around 10:30 - 11pm).

So sadly, i have to agree with Thunder on this one. Its all about CYA. Every company does it for legal reasons. Sure they want their employees to be safe, but ultimately they have to protect themselves before you. With the vest it works both ways.

Oh and the sweater thing. Wear whatever you want while you are outside. Just be sure that your vest is on over it. Of course you need a red shirt and khaki's, but while outside you can wear any coat/sweater over it.

Last edited:
It wasn't Target but I have a deaf friend who was a cart attendant for another company.
They had never hired a deaf person before and we're a little nervous about the whole thing.
On his first day there they handed him a safety vest like they other cart attendants wore but in big letters it said, "I AM DEAF".
They were a little surprised when he refused to wear it.
They insisted, after all it was for his safety.
People needed to know he was deaf so they wouldn't run over him.
My friend made it clear that he was perfectly capable of avoiding cars and he would be happy to wear a regular vest but they could tightly roll the other one and shove it.
Luckily the interpreter didn't translate that.
It was all about CYA for them and not understanding deaf culture.
It took a sit down meeting with a half dozen people to get rid of that stupid vest, gotta love big corporations.

Frankly, our cart attendants could probably wear Reeboks & a red Speedo as long as they wore the vest & looked brand.

If I were a vengeful gal, my last day's attire & attitude would DEFINATELY be one for the books. If....

All our safety vest at our store are all ripped up. Wish we could get new ones but out store is cheap on supplies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back