Can I actually get in trouble for this?

So I've accepted a new job at a law firm and it's something that's going to be a big help for my career aspirations. I won't actually be starting until August, meaning that I can't quite put in my two weeks just yet. But I've been going around telling anybody who'll listen that I'll be leaving come August. But my Specialty ETL pulled me into his office today and had a conversation with me about "innapropriate conduct". He basically told me that it's not right for me to be going around telling everybody that I'm leaving when I haven't even put in my two weeks yet. I retorted that it's a done deal and that the law firm position is happening, but he told me that until my two weeks are officially in, I need to be acting as if I'm staying at Target long-term.

He cited me "behaving professionally" as a Style TL and the whole conversation just really irked me. I even had half a mind to just quit on the spot. Has anyone else ever had to deal with anything like this? Is my ETL right or does this just sound like the usual power-tripping?

You don't have to wait till two weeks to put in your resignation although if it's months away it is a little early to probably do it now just in case. It is a little unprofessional I guess to be saying it but as for actually getting in trouble for it who cares your leaving anyways lol. Also congrats on the new job

If you are indeed "acting as if I'm staying at Target long-term" and just sharing your excitement at this great career opportunity it doesn't seem like much of a problem. Put in your notice, but don't make it 2 weeks. I don't see any reason why you can't make it 6 weeks notice. The 2 weeks is required to stay in good standing. This would give them an opportunity to actually find the right replacement by posting the position and interviewing as opposed to the usual secretive bs putting someone in place that is not prepared.

You probably should have told leadership as soon as you found out, or maybe waited until about a month before but said nothing to anyone. Seems a bit odd to go around telling everyone else you're leaving but not tell your leadership. People talk, gossip spreads like wildfire.

So I've accepted a new job at a law firm and it's something that's going to be a big help for my career aspirations. I won't actually be starting until August, meaning that I can't quite put in my two weeks just yet. But I've been going around telling anybody who'll listen that I'll be leaving come August. But my Specialty ETL pulled me into his office today and had a conversation with me about "innapropriate conduct". He basically told me that it's not right for me to be going around telling everybody that I'm leaving when I haven't even put in my two weeks yet. I retorted that it's a done deal and that the law firm position is happening, but he told me that until my two weeks are officially in, I need to be acting as if I'm staying at Target long-term.

He cited me "behaving professionally" as a Style TL and the whole conversation just really irked me. I even had half a mind to just quit on the spot. Has anyone else ever had to deal with anything like this? Is my ETL right or does this just sound like the usual power-tripping?
There’s nothing he can do to you. He’s probably just jealous.

But you can turn in your notice earlier than 2 weeks.

The 2 weeks is customary but there's no rule saying it can't be longer. (I once gave 6 months notice, but it was a specialized kind of job - not anything fancy, just one with lots of tiny little details to deal with.)
Put in your 6 weeks notice or whatever it is and then there shouldn't be an issue about discussing it with others.

Technically you can't get in trouble. But watch out that they don't make your remaining days hell. If the law firm job is air tight, go ahead and put your notice in and use your PTO hours in.

I went from Target to working a state job at a forensic lab. I put my resignation notice in a month and half in advance.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have told everyone I am leaving especially since it is so far out.

Target could just stop scheduling you since they do schedules weekly.

If you have a firm start date on the new job give Target a two weeks notice in workday and print/scan/email a date copy to yourself.

I personally believe two weeks notice is BS in this day and age since most of us our At-Will employees especially in your case in which you are leaving retail.

I wouldn't have told everyone I am leaving especially since it is so far out.

Target could just stop scheduling you since they do schedules weekly.

If you have a firm start date on the new job give Target a two weeks notice in workday and print/scan/email a date copy to yourself.

I personally believe two weeks notice is BS in this day and age since most of us our At-Will employees especially in your case in which you are leaving retail.
Nothing wrong with being courteous and it's always a good idea to avoid burning bridges.

I'd guess it depends on how you're telling everyone.

If you're running around telling every Tom, Dick & Harry you're leaving and being giddy about it, that's probably why they pulled you in.

If you're just telling people if they ask (but why would they ask in the first place?), then no harm, no foul.

We had someone do something similar, put in their notice, then started badmouthing leadership, and NCNS'ing, so they termed their ass under Job Abandonment after the 3rd in a row. Guess they better hope their new hire don't check in with HR!

Target management are just a bunch of jealous pussies. Fuck em, You deserve to be excited you’re going somewhere better.

As a team leader you probably shouldn’t be running around talking to anyone who will listen that you’re leaving. Without knowing the details of your conversations it’s hard to tell but I can see how this would be perceived as being unprofessional. If your leaders and team members perceive you as being checked out it’s definitely not professional for you to act that way if you’re trying to stay there for over another month. Sounds like your etl is worried you’re just going to phone it in for the next month. In terms of getting in trouble? I mean no and what does it matter since you’re leaving but they could easily stop scheduling you.

Back