MyTime Can I do anything about this?

This is my first post on this site and its going to be a bit lengthy but I have no one else to ask about this sort of thing so I thought I would give this a try.

About 3 Weeks ago I was interested in taking a paid vacation for the week of august 16th to the 22nd (This week at the time of writing) I let my ETL know this and asked if I should put it in 3 weeks out or wait until 2 weeks out, he told me to put it in asap. I did so. After a week or so had passed I cam to him and told him I had put it in and ask if I had done so correctly (my first time asking for paid vacation) He told me “yes everything should be fine”

On Friday august 7th I checked the schedule and noticed I was still on schedule for my the week I had requested off, I told my ETL there been an error and im still on for those days, he said he would fix it. Saturday comes and it is still not corrected, I texted him asking if he will fix it. He doesn’t respond so I decide to give it another day and wait until Sunday. He was off that day so I wait until Monday. When I ask for him on Monday im told he went on his own vacation for 4 days for his daughters birthday. So I speak to HR the following day on Tuesday. She tells me if he said he would approve it then I need to speak with him because in the system nothing is showing up approved, she told me a lot of team members are asking for more hours it shouldn’t be hard to find replacement for the days I will be out.

The next time I see my ETL is Friday the 14th
(2 days from scheduled vacation time) as soon as I come in he asks me when I wanted the vacation for (clearly he never paid attention or cared) and when I tell him this coming week he replys saying lets schedule it for September 13th and I’ll approve it now.

My question is, is there anything I can do about this? I feel this is incredibly unfair to me and very clearly my ETL doesn’t care and when I approached my HR manager about this she didn’t even let me finish the whole story before she tried to tell me to go to back to the ETL.

I think at this point all you can do is put up your shifts on the board and hope someone takes them. I always put vacation requests as for in advance as possible, I give leaders a week to approve then I talk to them if not approved. Sorry this is happening to you.

Did you request time off or just request vacation pay? They are separate things first you must request time off for vacation days, then a separate request to use vacation pay for those days. Hope this helps for future vacation.

Sorry that happened to you. Your leadership sounds like quite the little nest of buckpassing asshats. It is very unfair to you, but since the ETL didn’t approve your request in the system, and HR won’t back you up, you have no recourse as far as getting it approved. This is what happens when ETLs don’t care about their team members, will say anything to people to get rid of them for the moment, and lack the integrity to keep their word. You did everything you could in following up, and still your ETL didn’t come through for you. Your ETL should be ashamed of him/herself, and your HR is no better. Your best chance would be to give your shifts away if someone will take them. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

Something similar happened to me on my last vacation request. It got lost in the shuffle and wasn't approved in time. I didn't make a big deal about it. I went around to various TLs, explained what happened and asked if they knew anyone on their teams looking to pick up hours. TLs always know who wants more hours and which members of their teams they would love to be able to give some more, even in another work center. My shifts were all covered by the end of the day and I went on vacation as planned.

Back