Archived Can someone explain Gift Registrys to me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly can't understand what the point of a gift registry is to begin with. Is it to show the items that people are buying? Why do I scan it? Nothing seems to change any differently once I scan and they finish the transaction. Had a lady get angry at me today because she wanted gift reciepts for ever single item but also wanted me to scan this registry of like 10 pages and I had no idea what to do plus my shift was over in like 2 minutes so I really had no time to deal with it. Thankfully a GSTL came and helped but I feel like my incompetence to know what a registry is will look poorly on my record now. This is my third day as a cashier btw.

so a registry is basically just a list of what people want for their wedding/baby/etc and then when someone buys something, say a toy for the baby that's on the registry, it gets marked as bought so no one else buys it.

scanning a registry automatically prints a gift receipt for all items on the registry, so you don't need to worry about that. the reason you scan it is so that the computer knows to take off the registry what they're buying.

as for "your record" don't worry about it. it was your third day, if no one showed you how to do a registry, you're not just expected to know what to do (especially since the registry prompts on POS can be confusing at first)

Scan everything they're buying, then scan the registery and apply it to the items that's really it
This.
After you've scanned everything but BEFORE you total, scan the barcode on the registry.
It will bring up matched items & apply them as 'purchased' on the registry; multiples (like towels or mugs, etc) will say something like 'two XX were found; how many do you wish to apply to registry?' You enter the number amount & it moves on to the next item until complete.
When you hit total, it will ask if you want separate gift receipts or everything on ONE; follow the guest's request & finish the transaction.
Sometimes some items may not be on the registry so I would also scan the receipt & print out a generic gift receipt to cover anything not found.
Covers all bases.

Hijacking thread but still related:

I think some people are making registeries just to get the free gift bag (baby). If they say they did it online and then have 5-10 items, I'm suspicious.

Hijacking thread but still related:

I think some people are making registeries just to get the free gift bag (baby). If they say they did it online and then have 5-10 items, I'm suspicious.
Honestly I just give it to them, there's nothing in there that's THAT valuable, and I've never seen someone ask for it more than one time.

There's actually a lot of coupons and stuff. We are supposed to make them find their registry online and show it to us before handing over the bag.

There's actually a lot of coupons and stuff. We are supposed to make them find their registry online and show it to us before handing over the bag.
We don't do that but at my store there's not that much fraud.

Had a thing for a while where guys would add things to the baby registry like large screen TVs, gaming systems & other electronics.
It was when Target would mail a 10% off coupon for couples to use for registry items they didn't get so they could get an additional 10% off their man-toys.

This.
After you've scanned everything but BEFORE you total, scan the barcode on the registry.
It will bring up matched items & apply them as 'purchased' on the registry; multiples (like towels or mugs, etc) will say something like 'two XX were found; how many do you wish to apply to registry?' You enter the number amount & it moves on to the next item until complete.
When you hit total, it will ask if you want separate gift receipts or everything on ONE; follow the guest's request & finish the transaction.
Sometimes some items may not be on the registry so I would also scan the receipt & print out a generic gift receipt to cover anything not found.
Covers all bases.

This is the long form answer. I learned something cause I do registry transactions not very often so the questions to apply items are new to me.

Did the GSTL get frustrated with you for not knowing? I am guessing, No. Did he/she explain as she was doing to you so knew what it was next time? I hope so. Don't let it get you, this job while not hard does require keeping odd knowledge on hand that you won't use everyday. But when you need it, you will be glad you had it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back