Archived Can Target find out if I am on probation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I screwed up the other night. Long story short, got pulled over, had a small amount of marijuana in my car, went to jail, bonded out a few hours later. I've made major strides the past few months on being careful who I associate with, but it is the holidays and I went to visit some friends I shouldn't have.

Have a court date next week. Went to talk to an attorney who says he can probably get me probation easy on a charge like this.

No one at work has any idea any of this happened, but my concern is if I get probation can Target find out about it? I know that a probation officer has to make sure you are working, but will he come to the store, and if he does will he say anything anyone about me? If he does, what will happen?

Any info would be appreciated.

Probation for marijuana possession? Did you have a lot on you? If it was a small amount, it should just be a fine and there shouldn't be any probation or jail time. If it was a large time, you're probably screwed. If Target finds out about it, I'd say it's 50/50 that you get fired. If you plead guilty or no contest to a felony charge, you will definitely get fired. If it's a misdemeanor, you might be spared. Best advice is to stay away from people and situations that will lead to possible jail time and/or fines.

Ignore what that guy just said. As long as you don't come to work high, have it on your person while working, deal it while working or things of that nature, Target doesn't care. As long as you show up, sober, and do your job there will be no problems.

Didn't you post a thread a while back about an unknown person at your store telling management about why you got fired from Sony based on your posts here? If I were you I wouldn't be posting stuff like this.

Without going in to much detail, I was able to find out who it was. He got a new job a while ago. No worries.

Sot11, you might want to get a good lawyer, to prove that you have changed your ways from your last event. Sometimes, life can be a roller coaster. We are here to help you stay on track. Keeping on trying, bro!

Didn't you post a thread a while back about an unknown person at your store telling management about why you got fired from Sony based on your posts here? If I were you I wouldn't be posting stuff like this.

Without going in to much detail, I was able to find out who it was. He got a new job a while ago. No worries.

It's a good thing they weeded out the only guy with access to the internet at your store! You're totally free and clear!

Oh, and that pun was only half-intended.

Correct me if I'm wrong (since so many are wont to do) but it seems that spot will look into your past only during background checks. Once hired, there shouldn't be anything to flag leadership unless your PO comes into the store asking for you or something equally flagrant.

They won't care. Worked with a guy for 2 years who was on probation for drug charges and that's all he ever talked about. Human Resources hated him though and was always mean to him, but his job was secure until he came in late one too many times.

Most team members I worked with would brag about being hung over from the previous night while working. Our leaders would joke about it and tell them to "sweat it off."

It must be nice though to be able to afford a car, drugs, and pay bills while working horrible hours for horrible pay. Target seems smart with their expect more pay less policy. Plenty of spoiled rich kids who just need a job for a social life or to please their parents, so there's no point in giving them a living. Capitalism.

There shouldn't be a problem.
As long as it doesn't interfere with work and they aren't given a reason to test you (and you don't pass) you'll be fine.

Dumb mistakes shouldn't hang you up forever.

Correct me if I'm wrong (since so many are wont to do) but it seems that spot will look into your past only during background checks. Once hired, there shouldn't be anything to flag leadership unless your PO comes into the store asking for you or something equally flagrant.

This is precisely what I am worried about... if the probation officer comes in and makes it obvious. It is either probation or up to 6 months in jail, so I am definitely going to have to get my attorney to try to get me probation.

Are probation officers allowed to make it obvious when they come and check if you are working? Also, are they cops? Should I worry he is going to decide I did something wrong on probation and arrest me at work?

A friend of mine is a probation officer (granted for teenagers) and they really want their people to hold down jobs so the last thing they are going to do is jeopardize someones chance to hold one.
If you screw up, it depends on the screw up.
If you don't pass a piss test, she will call them down and arrest them at the office.
If they don't show up, then she gets a cop and goes looking for them.
That's the only time you would worry about getting busted at work.
If you get in a fight or something in the middle of the night where regular cops are involved, they will pull up your name, see you are on probation, take you down to the station, drag the probation officer out of bed and it goes from there.

Last edited:
Like most, an employer can only check your criminal record before hiring you. Now if your store finds out, all they can do is keep an eye on you. But they can only terminate you for incidents while you are on the clock or dealing with your performance. If you come in late, drunk, and high and work, Target is held liable for your work then. So they have to enforce terminations.

You might get in trouble with Target if you end up missing work for court or sentencing.

Everything just depends on your judgement and your state and local laws. Some states require you to inform your employer of felony judgements. Citations and misdemeanors probably not. And your sentencing and requirements just depend on the amount found, your sobriety, your state/local laws, previous history, and the DA/judge.

Probation Officers may need to interview your HR or Execs. So if you get assigned one. Expect no privacy.

Lay off the drugs. And keep your nose clean until you are off probation; probably for the next 3-5 years that way you don't have to report any arrests/judgements on future job applications. Find a volunteer service so you can clean up your image for the court

They may run a background check if you ever go for a leadership position. As an intern, I had to submit a background check and prior to becoming an ETL in May they will run another background check. I heard that a TL to Sr. TL had to have a have a background check because he was carrying store keys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back