Archived Can they "force" you to stay past close/scheduled shift time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redflannel

Electronics
So the store keeps like 3 or 4 people on the sales floor all night and naturally this time of year that's a recipe for disaster and most nights we're closing with an INSANE amount of reshop so they're cramping down hard and saying nobody can leave for 2+ hours after close that we aren't even scheduled for.

By "force" obviously I don't mean literally kept prisoner but if we tell them we can't or don't want to stay are they able to punish people with coachings/warnings/correctives or something? Or is it more of a "strongly advised that you stay but we really can't do anything if you don't" situation?

Wow that is so not what my store does...they are like, bring your carts up to GS and clock out ASAP.

An employer can not force you to stay...they can ask but if you say no they cannot reprimand for you for it. But they can reprimand you for not following the buddy system when leaving the store at night.

Wow that is so not what my store does...they are like, bring your carts up to GS and clock out ASAP.
That's how it's always been until this week. It's crazy.

An employer can not force you to stay...they can ask but if you say no they cannot reprimand for you for it. But they can reprimand you for not following the buddy system when leaving the store at night.
Never even heard of that being a policy. Everyone usually just walks out on their own.

Yea, how does a buddy system even work if I don't drive? Like, does a buddy have to walk me to the train station? What if I wanted to go get fast food before getting on the train?

My store has it setup so that all reshop has to be at service desk by 8pm, and as far as I know team members just take all reshop by 8pm to work back out and probably don't ever go back up to grab more reshop unless they get it done.

they're cramping down hard and saying nobody can leave for 2+ hours after close that we aren't even scheduled for.

By "force" obviously I don't mean literally kept prisoner but if we tell them we can't or don't want to stay are they able to punish people with coachings/warnings/correctives or something? Or is it more of a "strongly advised that you stay but we really can't do anything if you don't" situation?

No, they can't punish you if you don't stay past your scheduled shift. You are only responsible for the duration of your scheduled shift and are under no obligation to stay past it.

By close, we clear ALL reshop from GS, period.

I don't even know what happens on my store. I do close a lot, but over here in electronics, we have the bulk of the reshop done before closing time, and we're scheduled to stay until 45 minutes after close, which is time enough to do any remaining electronics reshop. How hardlines or softlines handles reshop, I couldn't tell you.

I say every team member should be willing to stay just a little bit later in their shift if they are asked to or about to leave a task unfinished.

I've always stayed late, whether it's to just backup cashier past my end time, break down milk palettes, finish out pulls and backstock, and never more than an hour. I've left in the middle of tasks before and it just makes shit so much harder, especially when you close and you're back right away at 7am to deal with it. Just last week I did a 9 and a half hour shift to help SFS finish packing before 4:30pm when UPS comes. Technically, it was a 10 hour shift minus half hour lunch.

If reshop isn't done, I've stayed an extra 15-30 minutes to make sure it gets done, alongside a few others.

You're only responsible for your scheduled shift, and you have absolutely zero obligation to stay later than you're scheduled, but it's good to stay and help out sometimes if you can and finish your tasks or finish them as much as you can before you have to go home. By all means, if you can't and have other responsibilities or just don't want to, don't stay, go home.

Yea, how does a buddy system even work if I don't drive? Like, does a buddy have to walk me to the train station? What if I wanted to go get fast food before getting on the train?
If you get fast food , the buddy gets fast food!

Some of my LODs become Mussolini/Stalin Jrs. when it comes to getting every little thing done at the end of the night. We must come clean or it is off to gulag for you!

I've gathered it's really just the LOD's being cheerleaders...it's more encouragement/wishful thinking than actual expectations. We had 16+ carts of toy reshop once this time last year around Christmas....yet...must come clean by the end of the night! hehe...All the hoopla about reshop must be done....it's not...and then "hardlines team was amazing tonight!" Wait what, weren't we supposed to finish it all? :) They just want to keep you from loafing....and do your best ;)

For years we weren't allowed to leave until the LOD called the zone. If someone's availability said they had to leave before that they would give them a really hard time. Then they made the mistake of hiring an attorney who wanted part time work to pay off some debt. He put a stop to all of that and they now let people leave when they are scheduled to leave. Some of the crap they get away with!

Question... did he keep working for Target? Or, was he performanced out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back