Archived Can they really fire for this??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work in electronics and lately our STL is really riding everyone including the front end on red cards. I ask everyone and somedays are better than others. Especially now with it being slow and not many people coming in etc,etc..... Anyways there was a huge discussion among co-workers ( totally true) in the breakroom tonight and if you do not meet the requirements of getting a certain amount of redcards per week it will lead to I guess coaching and eventually firing. The thing that blows my mind is getting redcards is not in handbook so why would they fire someone over that especially when it's totally wrong or would they make up some lame Target rule saying well they were not meeting standards or something like that to protect themselves??

Part of your expectation of performance is pushing the credit cards and debit cards on the customers. And yes, you can be fired for it, though it's a tedious process.

I work in electronics and lately our STL is really riding everyone including the front end on red cards. I ask everyone and somedays are better than others. Especially now with it being slow and not many people coming in etc,etc..... Anyways there was a huge discussion among co-workers ( totally true) in the breakroom tonight and if you do not meet the requirements of getting a certain amount of redcards per week it will lead to I guess coaching and eventually firing. The thing that blows my mind is getting redcards is not in handbook so why would they fire someone over that especially when it's totally wrong or would they make up some lame Target rule saying well they were not meeting standards or something like that to protect themselves??

They are bull shi**ing you. Never ever - not even once - have I ever seen anyone get fired for red cards. Never have I seen anyone get anything more than a coaching for red cards, and even that is rare.

Now, I have seen lots of threats and insinuations people would get written up/fired.... but that's all it is.... Threats and insinuations designed to get results. Basically it is a tactic bad management uses because they don't know how else to motivate people.

Preface: Not saying it can't happen. I don't think you can be written up specifically for not getting a certain goal of redcards. For instance, your STL can't say to you, "Get 50 redcards today." Then write you up for not reaching it. Otherwise, why not do that to any underperforming employee? All they can write you up for is not following the prompts or asking the guests.

A group of us at lunch today just had this discussion.

Last edited:
Target can coach or fire you if they witness you not discussing the RedCard when prompted by the POS. Part of everyone's job that runs a register is to mention the RedCard to guests.

It's the most slow and drawn out process to fire someone for performance. If you're not seasonal, and you're past your first 90 days, it will take them forever. Unless they hate you personally, they won't go that far. Will they start cutting your hours back if you're a cashier? Maybe...but they'll never let you think that's the reason.

Agreed...CYA and tell every guest about the RedCard. Electronics is not a bad place to practice this since you will have purchases that will prompt anyway.

Attachments and ESPs are also a big thing for electronics. Just engage the guest, and find out what they will need or can benefit from, and are willing to spend. ex. Flat screen TV probably RCA or HDMI cables. Video game system probably additional games, an extra controller, or accessory....

ESPs just inform the guest that most existing manufacturer warranties are very limited in coverage. And all the benefits/coverages ESPs will cover.

Last edited:
I do my best to ask EVERY guest if they would like to save 5%. I usually average 2 to 3 a day, but lately it's been like pulling teeth and I'm lucky when I can get 1 a day. Everyone is still paying off Christmas purchases and don't even want to discuss a red card. I don't push, but I do strongly encourage guests getting the debit card, especially when I see them write a check or use another debit card. As far as I know, as long as you keep asking every guest you can't get fired. I'm mean really, they can make you ask but they can't force a guest to get the blasted cards. Our Target was #1 in our district by a huge margin recently, our percentage was 4.8 I think, so we don't have too much problems getting the required amounts.

The redcard score is way to high!

i wish they would make the score where store could consistently meet it. I think it is discouraging for cashiers to see that once again as a store we have not met our goal. We're at the top of our district/group for conversion but yet we can't consistently stay green? And they just raised our goal by one point.

Yes they can fire you for it. Right now they are taking the top 5 and bottom 5 each week and sending their names up to the group level. The bottom 5 are getting coached weekly.

they can make you ask but they can't force a guest to get the blasted cards.

This! Cashiers should only be coached if they're skipping the prompts and not asking guests. But if we're asking every guest, how is it our fault if nobody wants to open one?

On second thought, it's the ****heads at corporate that need to be coached for unreasonable business practices.

they can make you ask but they can't force a guest to get the blasted cards.

This! Cashiers should only be coached if they're skipping the prompts and not asking guests. But if we're asking every guest, how is it our fault if nobody wants to open one?

On second thought, it's the ****heads at corporate that need to be coached for unreasonable business practices.

Great idea but you know how the real world works.
The only people who get 'coached' are those of us on the bottom.
You pull a major smegging mess like The Shops or Neiman Marcus and you get promoted.
The money's not pouring in?
Well, lets just jack up the number of attachments and redcards the peons have to get in order to keep their jobs, that ought to do it.
Oh, and we'll hang out in our 10 million dollar industrial-chic office complex while we come up with new ways to torture the people we pay so little (who actually make our money for us).

Last edited:
The redcard score is way to high!

i wish they would make the score where store could consistently meet it. I think it is discouraging for cashiers to see that once again as a store we have not met our goal. We're at the top of our district/group for conversion but yet we can't consistently stay green? And they just raised our goal by one point.

This. They were in a panic last week because our store conversion was only a bit over 2.5. The goal for the year? 4...with 25% penetration. Yeah, we did that last year...but sheesh. Eventually people are going to have all the Redcards they could possibly need. And the penetration has never been over 20% for us. Good grief.

Plus, with Red Cards becoming available on Target.com, this will further cut into the stores' ability to sell them.

Plus, with Red Cards becoming available on Target.com, this will further cut into the stores' ability to sell them.

I want to cry every time they tell me they will look into it and do it at home online. At least they can't do the debit card online....

Last year was pretty amazing in electronics I would actually get redcards then Jan hit and people do not want redcards anymore. I ask and ask and I am lucky if I get one if I am lucky but I work late evenings when no one really comes and they do not buy huge purchases they buy a wii game or something small. Hopefully it will be better when Superbowl hits later on I am hoping and people will want those big screen TVs but right now it's small purchases and no one wants a redcard no matter how much I tell them how much they save. :angry:

Are you in a right to work state? They could always fire you without explanation if you are...

Are you in a right to work state? They could always fire you without explanation if you are...

I think you have confused this with "At Will Employment".

Employment-at-will laws refer to whether reason or notice must be given if an employee is fired or quits. Right to work laws make residents of certain states exempt from being required to join a union in order to work.

Last edited:

I think you have confused this with "At Will Employment".

Employment-at-will laws refer to whether reason or notice must be given if an employee is fired or quits. Right to work laws make residents of certain states exempt from being required to join a union in order to work.

You are correct! I always get confused with these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back