Archived Can you be forced to come in on your day off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story short, we, the flow team was supposed to take a truck yesterday(tues) at 4am. For reasons unknown, the truck couldn't make it to the store (is blew a tire or something). So when we came in, we just worked the autofills/push/challenged and cleaned up till 8am. We were told that since the truck couldn't make it on tues, that they want all of us in on Friday so we can take that truck. The thing is, almost the entire flow team was scheduled off on Friday since there wasn't gonna be a truck that day.

So in short, it seems like they're trying to get us to come in on our day off even though we worked Tuesday with no truck. Is this fair? The backroom is gonna look like hell if almost no one shows up...

They can't force you but you can bet that the people who do come in will be looked on with favor.
They will be the ones who will get any extra hours that are available and will get any cross training.

You will find that times like these are the opportunities you can use to get ahead.
However, if you have made other appointments they can't force you to come in.

If the schedule was printed before this decision was made, then that's the schedule. They can ask you to come in (hoping that you will), but they can't force you to come in on a day that you're not already scheduled. If any issues arise, direct your concerns to HR.

Precisely. Might be a good idea to snapshot the schedule if you can... If they ever ask why you weren't there, you can just say you weren't scheduled. Unless you gave your direct consent to work that day, you're good to go.

No, they cannot force you to come in for an unscheduled shift, HOWEVER they will lay on the guilt thick for those who don't, and perks for those who do. Often enough, unless you have a non-negotiable appointment that you can't move and it really is needed for you to come in (as opposed to covering for a TM who called off drunk or something :p ), the hassle of refusing to come in isn't worth it.

You could always try and negotiate with HR...say, "well, I'd be willing to come in on this day, but then I'd need to be off a different day so I can do x, y, and z that I was planning to do on this day". Sometimes they'll work with you so that they get the shifts they needed filled and you get time off. It's worth a try.

So they want you to work an extra day without giving you a day off? Screw that. I was asked to work today, my day off and politely declined. Favor vs guilt my ass. Who cares about either. Once you do them a favor they just expect more and you'll get nothing in return. Enjoy your day off.

No, they cannot force you to come in for an unscheduled shift, HOWEVER they will lay on the guilt thick for those who don't, and perks for those who do. Often enough, unless you have a non-negotiable appointment that you can't move and it really is needed for you to come in (as opposed to covering for a TM who called off drunk or something :p ), the hassle of refusing to come in isn't worth it.

You could always try and negotiate with HR...say, "well, I'd be willing to come in on this day, but then I'd need to be off a different day so I can do x, y, and z that I was planning to do on this day". Sometimes they'll work with you so that they get the shifts they needed filled and you get time off. It's worth a try.

I'm often at odds with the way my store is run, but I've got to admit that the general "store culture" is pretty good. They have been very flexible about scheduling, and have never tried to guilt me into anything. In return I've tried to be cooperative by coming in an extra day when they need help, if it's at all possible.

They can't force you but you can bet that the people who do come in will be looked on with favor.
They will be the ones who will get any extra hours that are available and will get any cross training.

You will find that times like these are the opportunities you can use to get ahead.
However, if you have made other appointments they can't force you to come in.

I live very close to my store and I can say that going in when they call you to will definitely help with the hours. I have come in when called every time that I have been called (5 times) and would have other times, but I was actually scheduled that night/morning and they didn't realize it. Have stayed late probably 20 times already. Pretty much every time I am not closing.

Not sure if this is what helped me stay on after season, but I am getting like 20 hours where the people that were hired near my time said they didn't want to come in or stay late are getting 15 or less.

So they can't ask you, but keep this in mind--it's January. That means hours are going to tighten up all around. What people are saying about looking at you favorably is definitely going to hold true for future schedules.

Plus, if you come in on your day off, that means you are logging more hours, which, again, it's January, grab all the hours you can get.

*Update*

So our TL told us before we left that put ETL put everyone on the schedule for Friday and he was asking if anyone could come in. Even the STL was asking Flow if they could come in. Every one but like, 3 people from FLOW said they're taking their day off. So for the unload tomorrow, there will be 3 softline girls, and the TL/ETL LOG.

I have a feeling that the ETL-LOG/STL is going to lay into us on Saturday when we come in...

I respect your flow team. They have the most power if they organize. Mine never do. It's hard to argue with making money, but sometimes that $50 for one person is worth less than having 120 less hours for the store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back