Archived Can you get talked to for calling in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I called in and I haven't hit my 90 days yet. I didn't want to call out but I've been sick and it has gotten worse to the point that I knew I wouldn't be able to make it through my shift today. Anyway...the LOD seemed pretty ticked off when I called in and she acted as if I was lying. I'm just wondering if this will count against me? I made sure to call in advance and everything.

It's a holiday weekend & if a lot of folks got their time-off requests denied, there were likely lots of call-outs; that's probably why she sounded ticked.

It's a holiday weekend & if a lot of folks got their time-off requests denied, there were likely lots of call-outs; that's probably why she sounded ticked.
oh yeah! I didn't even realize it's a holiday weekend...but yeah maybe that's why.

Depending on your store it could count against you and you could be counseled since you are under 90 days

All of that said, I got the flu during my first 90 and called out for two days. It wasn't held against me since I was obviously sick (I hadn't been feeling well for days before it got bad enough to call out) and because I didn't have any other attendance problems like coming in late, that sort of thing. If you keep your nose clean and don't screw anything else up, you should be fine. Your leadership has the right to counsel you for calling out if they think it's appropriate, but that doesn't mean they will.

All of that said, I got the flu during my first 90 and called out for two days. It wasn't held against me since I was obviously sick (I hadn't been feeling well for days before it got bad enough to call out) and because I didn't have any other attendance problems like coming in late, that sort of thing. If you keep your nose clean and don't screw anything else up, you should be fine. Your leadership has the right to counsel you for calling out if they think it's appropriate, but that doesn't mean they will.
Thanks! I was also sick for a couple of days and even other TM's would ask me if I was doing okay. I haven't had any other issues either and I put off calling out because I knew I was under my 90 days. I have a feeling I will be talked to because they think I'm lying :(

What difference does it make? You're planning on quitting without notice, anyway.
Not sure if I plan to do that anymore. I was having a rough time and was just wondering what I could do.

Certain ETLs at my store are like that when TMs call in. They will poke and prod for details and try and come up with solutions and guilt trip you over how much it is screwing over everyone.

If you're sick, you're sick. Nothing more to it.

Ain't been sick since the early 80's...

Knock on wood!

Certain ETLs at my store are like that when TMs call in. They will poke and prod for details and try and come up with solutions and guilt trip you over how much it is screwing over everyone.

If you're sick, you're sick. Nothing more to it.
She basically just said "you're sick?" in a sarcastic tone and hung up on me...idk why I have a bad feeling I will get fired over this. They already seem to not like me and I don't know why.

She basically just said "you're sick?" in a sarcastic tone and hung up on me...idk why I have a bad feeling I will get fired over this. They already seem to not like me and I don't know why.

You probably won't get fired and as long as you don't do it again and you are doing a good job everything will be fine.
Keep in mind there is a good chance you were the third or fourth call she had taken that day saying the same thing.

My store coaches for every. Single. Call. Out. It is militaristic as every LOD shift they call a bunch of names to TSC for a coaching and all the other TMs are silently singing the death march. After two call outs in 30 days it moves to a CCA. Then a final and finally a term. Also, miss two punches in a month and you're put on a conduct CCA. One missed punch if it's a meal start or end (to "deter time clock fraud"). One TM, the time clock was not working when he had to end meal and they still put him on CCA for it.

Now, every store is different and not all stores are like mine. Since it was a holiday weekend, they were probably inundated with call outs and got tired of hearing people say they were "sick" even though they may have been legitimately sick. Just keep busting your hump and they will notice. My LODs react drastically different when a known reliable TM calls out than a TM who calls off every weekend shift they get scheduled for.

I'm in my 2nd year. No call out, never late, and I come in when I'm asked.

Yea buddy.

I'm almost rich!

Just focus on getting better. And if for some reason you get worse, be sure to get a doctor's note. My GSTL told me during my review that despite the fact she and the others liked me, chances were they would have cut me had I not brought in a doctor's note when I was sick with something for one to two weeks.

I've talked to team members that showed up for work even when they were really sick just because they didn't want to call out. One of them said they puked in the bathroom and just had to take an hour lunch because they had to take a nap.

Your LOD probably either thought you were lying (since it was the holiday and everything) or that you weren't "sick enough" to be calling out.

If you ever need to call out because you're very sick, especially since you're within your 90 day learning period, I would strongly suggest paying a visit to the doctor and getting a Doctor's note just to save you from it hurting your performance. I know it can be a hassle but you do what you got to do to keep your job.

When I was hired I was told calling out in the first 90 days was a big deal. It kind of instilled fear in us. Unless you're contagious or have a serious reason to call out then they won't cut you much slack especially if you haven't even made it past the 90 day mark.

What is a CCA? Never heard that acronym before although I guess I might know it by it's full name. All of the folks who were around during my probation period are long gone, but I don't ever remember being told that there was even a probation period (might explain why they're gone). For that matter, I've never been told what the policy is on calling in. Reading that you need to give 2 hours advance notice was a total surprise to me. Is this written down someplace?

What is a CCA?

Conduct Corrective Action. A corrective action is when you're written up, a leader takes you offstage to speak with you about it, and you have to sign a form, and it's followed by a 6-month probationary period.

It actually stands for Counseling and Corrective Action and it is a written documentation of either a performance or conduct issue that needs to be signed by the preparer(Leader that wrote you up) who reviewed/approved it(Usually the ETL-HR, STL, or HRBP) and the person it was issued to.

It actually stands for Counseling and Corrective Action and it is a written documentation of either a performance or conduct issue that needs to be signed by the preparer(Leader that wrote you up) who reviewed/approved it(Usually the ETL-HR, STL, or HRBP) and the person it was issued to.

Thanks. It seemed a little off to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back