Archived Can't do fitting room

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work in softlines and as a result I'm sometimes scheduled for fitting room or have to cover if whoever they scheduled didn't show up. I'm not sure if it's the same for every store but at mine our fitting room person has a phone and basically plays receptionist for anyone calling the store for any reason.

My problem is
a. I have terrible anxiety and am mildly agoraphobic, something I can deal with when I'm on the sales floor as I can just duck out to the back when i need a breather but i can't leave the fitting room when I'm there
b. I'm not deaf but my hearing isn't the best, particularly over the phone or when people aren't speaking clearly. As a result I'm often guessing what people are asking me and giving answers I'm not confident in in the slightest which then worsens my anxiety
c. in general phones stress me out a lot and it's always worse when I'm answering them vs calling someone

I guess what I want to know if it's possible for me to request I not be put in fitting room and if so, who would I talk to? I'm aware my personal health may not be a big enough concern for anyone to accept my request, but I'm hoping the fact that I'm giving pretty iffy answers over the phone ( which at times may just be flat out lies if I really didn't understand what was being said ) to guests may be more of a reason to not put me there. Thanks in advance and sorry for the long winded question!

If you have a diagnosis of anxiety, you may be able to ask for accommodations thru HR.

You can always ask anyway, the worst thing that could happen is that they think you're a whiner.

Have you had your hearing checked? Doctor's diagnoses are extremely helpful when you need accomodations

If you have a diagnosis of anxiety, you may be able to ask for accommodations thru HR.

You can always ask anyway, the worst thing that could happen is that they think you're a whiner.

Have you had your hearing checked? Doctor's diagnoses are extremely helpful when you need accomodations

I do have a diagnosis! I know anxiety is listed in my medical information and I'm pretty sure I still have the test result documents from when I was diagnosed with agoraphobia + a few other things that aren't overly relevant here. If I was going to talk to HR should I mention that? I could also get a note from my psychologist if you think that would help.

& I haven't had my hearing checked since I was in high school but it may be worth going if only to get a proper diagnosis for it.

I do have a diagnosis! I know anxiety is listed in my medical information and I'm pretty sure I still have the test result documents from when I was diagnosed with agoraphobia + a few other things that aren't overly relevant here. If I was going to talk to HR should I mention that? I could also get a note from my psychologist if you think that would help.

& I haven't had my hearing checked since I was in high school but it may be worth going if only to get a proper diagnosis for it.
Yes. A note from the doctor with an actual diagnosis for agoraphobia and anxiety will definitely help your case. That, and the words “reasonable accommodation”, coming from your doctor will work wonders.

I can't comment on #1 and #3 but I do have some hearing loss. "I'm sorry, I didn't quite hear that, can you repeat it?" was my common phrase. After that I would ask people to spell things out phonetically and even flat out say I have some hearing loss. People are pretty understanding if you say why you need them to repeat themselves and spell things out.

You could be best friends with the ETL so they don't put you on the FR schedule. At my store every one in A & A is scheduled there in 1-2 hour increments unless they are upset at someone then they are there all day or someone requests extra FR hours due to an injury/illness. I guess you could try an ADA reasonable accommodation, but all positions are becoming more guest centric. With the proper forms they could probably provide you with an earpiece.

Bribe a coworker with Starbucks to cover "bathroom" breaks whenever you ask so you can get those couple of minutes to get the anxiety down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back