Archived cart attendant restroom checks question

Status
Not open for further replies.

shepardofthecarts

The good shepard
hey guys

do any of you have any tips or tricks you know to keep guests out of the restrooms when your cleaning them. I have tried everything I know from blocking of the door to locking the stalls from the inside.I'm sick of guests just waltzing in ignoring or stepping over the signs and tell at me like I'm the bad guy then complaining to the lod about it.if any of you have any suggestions please share them.

My stores didn't close the restrooms. Clear the button call and just do the checks of what you can.

Unless theres some sort of terrible mess, I don't see why you'd have to close the restroom to "clean it"? At my store we just pick up any garbage on the floor, restock TP, and hit the Button to clear it. I was at a different store a week or so back, and they had one of those darned restroom closed signs up, and it was during a busy time! Talk about annoying, so not sure why some Targets do that.

We have overnight cleaning crew do deep cleans every night in there so the restrooms are spotless every morning...

Unless theres some sort of terrible mess, I don't see why you'd have to close the restroom to "clean it"? At my store we just pick up any garbage on the floor, restock TP, and hit the Button to clear it. I was at a different store a week or so back, and they had one of those darned restroom closed signs up, and it was during a busy time! Talk about annoying, so not sure why some Targets do that.

We have overnight cleaning crew do deep cleans every night in there so the restrooms are spotless every morning...

This is what we do..well, we take a swiffer to it as well as needed. I wasn't sure if this is because we are ULV or what...Unless there is a code brown, why are you deep cleaning the bathroom in the middle of the day?

We clean our restrooms every hour -wipe down everything, empty trash, replenish paper products, sweep and mop plus the deep clean every night. We don't close them. We clean around the guests. I think it makes them think we're trying harder to keep the restrooms clean, even though it's a losing proposition.

I think our Cart Attendants would quit if they had to do that every hour on top of all the work they currently do. Lol.

At least you don't close your restrooms to "spot clean"... I think thats just plain disrespectful to anyone who needs to use the restroom! Who cares if theres a smudge of dirt on the floor!

We have primarily male cart attendants so they do the men's room and the pharmacy every hour. Our female cashiers clean the women's room every hour. I promise you it's necessary. We tried closing them down but the guests were furious at having to go to the Family Restroom at the pharmacy while we cleaned the mens or womens.

Of course we have at least two cart attendants all the time, so the guys alternate hours so one person doesn't have to clean each toilet every hour.

We once had to close down the women's because of a 'biohazard' (EXTREME code brown).
I blocked the door with the cart, had bags on over my shoes, gloves almost up to my elbows, a filter mask & goggles. Yet a guest tried to come in because she "needed to go so bad!"
I told her she'd have to sign a release so we wouldn't be held liable for her exposure to bodily substances & she stormed off.

We once had to close down the women's because of a 'biohazard' (EXTREME code brown).
I blocked the door with the cart, had bags on over my shoes, gloves almost up to my elbows, a filter mask & goggles. Yet a guest tried to come in because she "needed to go so bad!"
I told her she'd have to sign a release so we wouldn't be held liable for her exposure to bodily substances & she stormed off.

"Ma'am, the family restroom is right there."

We have to close the restrooms down in order to do the womens restroom and because we gotta basically do a deep cleaning.

Sweep, mop, resupply tp/seat covers/soap, wipe down sinks/mirrors, and empty trash as needed every hour. It's a pain really because sometimes it takes so long to get into the womens restroom because we have to wait for them to leave before we can go in and start, on a really busy day this affects us on keeping carts stocked. Not to mention the fact we have a very picky GSTL, who if she spots a single hair on the floor, she won't sign off until we do another sweep. Oh and we have to have a GSTL come and check/sign off the restrooms every hour when we are done before moving on to the next one. Then we perform a safety walk.

Anyways, I put 3 of those closed signs in front of the door, close the door then position the charlie cart in a way so it blocks the little pathway.

I never close it. I just clear the button, check off the list, then proceed to do what tasks are needed at the time. There is no need to mop, change paper towel/toilet paper, and everything else every hour. Just do it as needed.

thanks guys, at our store we have to check them every hour and most of the time the ladies room in a disaster zone do we have to pull out all the stops.and sweet Jesus, if one more guest flips out cause I'm doing my job, well let's just say that I have a friend named Mr.swirly.hmmmm wonder how that would go down lol

At our store, we just put a sign on the door that says "closed, please use family or pharmacy". We got nwer signs that were more readable so guests can actually read the darn signs.

Every hour, we make sure that the floors and clean and there is enough toilet paper in each stall. Also please remember to flush the toilets, there is always a guest that doesn't do it and it creeks up a bad smell.

It may seem like a waste of time, but its worth it to check it every hour, but cleaning it isn't really necessary if its not busy. Just gotta watch out out if there is a mess of some sorts, but our store restrooms are always pretty clean and its only every few hours we'll need to mop and restock TP. Our overnight crew does the rest.

tracy-morgan-hell-no-o.gif

We are always short on Cart Attendants so one of my lovely ETLS scheduled me be one without my agreement . This is the reason why I have one call in and refused to come in for that shift . **** like this .

Deep cleans aren't necessary during the day unless its really bad. What you should do is put the closed bathroom sign up, close the door, and put the Charlie Cart infront if the door. If that doesn't work, put an upside down cart infront of the door: they won't try and get past that lol.

Also, I would include a sign saying that there's a family bathroom by the pharmacy.

Deep cleans aren't necessary during the day unless its really bad. What you should do is put the closed bathroom sign up, close the door, and put the Charlie Cart infront if the door. If that doesn't work, put an upside down cart infront of the door: they won't try and get past that lol.

Also, I would include a sign saying that there's a family bathroom by the pharmacy.

i would exept the only signs we have are straight up closed signs. and belive it or not the upside down cart didnt work. a guest *****ed to the LOD and i got coached for not using best practice. btw heres another good story for yall. im replacing TP in the ladies room and a fourty ish women walks in and says i need to leave casue she had to go. well she looked like she could kick my ass around the room, so i waited outside. then she comes out and complains to the LOD and G.S that the restroom is filthy and someone needs to clean it. WTF did she think i was doing in there getting my groove one to the sound of flushing the toilets. honest to god some of this crap drives me up the wazoo.

Whenever my store had a water outage, the LOD called in some PORT O JOHNS and had them placed in front of the store. Then I had a line of carts pinned against the bathroom doors with a sign saying BATHROOMS OUT OF ORDER DUE TO WATER OUTAGE. Guess what, guests would break the carts out and take down the signs to attempt to use the restrooms. Then complain that the water wasn't working.

Honestly the best practice overall is to have the whole team check the bathrooms. If they are in there to use the facilities, they can take the time to hit the button and pick up trash and check the supplies. If something needs attending, then communicate that to the GSA/GSTL/LOD.

Then another practice to do is let a female TM check the womens restroom, its less of a hassle to close the bathroom down so a male TM walk in there.

If the restrooms need to be hosed down for a proper cleaning, then close them.

Last edited:
At my store you have to close down the womens restroom every hour because it gets so dirty. Paper everywhere idk why, pee on the seats from parents taking their little boy in, hygiene products either on floor from missing the trash, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back