Archived Carts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cel

Jack of All Trades
Any other stores see cart attendant hours entirely eliminated this week? Last week we were down to ~4-5 hours per day from 12/1 PM - 4/5 PM, this week they've been entirely cut. Anyone who might've previously had cart attendant hours is now scheduled to cashier or scheduled elsewhere (only had one TM who was always scheduled for carts, rest were hardlines/softlines/cashier as primary workcenter).

They seem to have it out for me a little in the way they schedule evenings as well. Seems like generally my closing shifts will have all the older women on registers, so as closing GSA I'll be either the only one in the building cart certified (minus the 60+ year old service desk TM with the bad back and asthma), or close. If I ask about borrowing a salesfloor TM who I know is cart certified I get told they're needed on the floor, and cart parties at night are a no-go.

End result ends up being that I spend an hour plus outside clearing the lot at 7:00-8:00 PM or so, then lunch, then either more carts or into the CO for the closing cart so I can go back out and do carts after we close. That was last week too when we still had a cart attendant until later afternoon, I assume it'll be even worse this week (haven't closed yet). It kind of throws a monkey wrench into the closing shift tasks they want me to do, and results in my service desk TM covering the front for a significant chunk of my shift (could end up being a majority this week).

That seem typical or unusual to other front end team members? Anyway enjoy my questions/mini-rant, I opened today and I'm half asleep but still running on all the caffeine from earlier so I'll probably regret the rambling when I get up.

Bring it up to your ETL-GE and STL.

During my last of my Target days, my low volume store had no Cart Attendant during the week at all. And then only two 4-5 hour shifts on the weekends usually 12pm-4/5pm. When there was no cart attendant scheduled, the salesfloor or cashiers were to run out and grab carts. Then again, we were carts by hand store.

Yep, welcome to the world of ULV. There were times last summer I literally spent 5 of my 6 hours outside getting carts. The LOD would not provide support, and if I didn't get them, then who would? Then the ETL-GE would get after me for managing the front lanes, which I always pointed out there is only so much I can do from the parking lot.

Luckily, now I have an ETL-GE who is much more concerned about the GSA being available, so hopefully this means we will get some support from the salesfloor this time around. I just don't have it in me physically to spend nearly an entire shift in the lot.

Glad I don't work in ULV... We seem to have decent cart hours but not all the way to closing (my super t had open-close CA)

*Knock on wood*

My ULV store still has nightly cart attendant coverage with dayside coverage on weekends. This also entails them to do a heavier workload than just grabbing carts, but without them I would be lost.

Whenever I had a Cart Attendant shift at my ULV store,

Opener/Dayside - I would just make sure the lanes were stocked with bags, hangers where taken up, zone One Spot, and cashier the express lane/lane closest to the door. Once the carts got down to a couple rows, I would bring in a line.

Evening - I would concentrate more on carts. Taking the spares to the outside well.

Now at my higher volume and Supers. I concentrated just on carts, hangers, defects, outside trash, and can/bottle recycle machines.

cart attendents are non existent in my store. only during Q4 do we consistently have them any other time its hit or miss. leads to me being on cashier a lot more then I would like but hours are hours so who am I to complain

We usually have cart attendants from 4:30-10 on weeknights, and 10:30am-close on weekends. Leaving me, the only dayside front end team member who isn't 60+ years old, to push carts all day long. 75% of the reason I'm switching from the front end to the logistics/replenishment side of things.. I didn't quit my other job and completely open my availability so that I could be a dayside cart attendant.

Last edited:
Yeah I think it might bother me less if there was even an attempt to be fair with the scheduling. However last night the closer had all 3 cart-certified cashiers (one of whom is our official CA). I assume tonight it'll be myself and my crew of 50+ women, or perhaps our 79 year old cashier.

So basically I went from being a hardlines TM getting 50% CA shifts to being an ever so slightly better paid cart attendant. Oh well, we'll see if my patience with that holds up when it's 100+ out every day/night.

Edit: To clarify I didn't mean CAs don't *deserve* more (just like all TMs), I think it's a difficult/crappy if simple job when done properly. I just meant by Target's paygrade schedule.

Last edited:
Yeah I think it might bother me less if there was even an attempt to be fair with the scheduling. However last night the closer had all 3 cart-certified cashiers (one of whom is our official CA). I assume tonight it'll be myself and my crew of 50+ women, or perhaps our 79 year old cashier.

So basically I went from being a hardlines TM getting 50% CA shifts to being an ever so slightly better paid cart attendant. Oh well, we'll see if my patience with that holds up when it's 100+ out every day/night.

Edit: To clarify I didn't mean CAs don't *deserve* more (just like all TMs), I think it's a difficult/crappy if simple job when done properly. I just meant by Target's paygrade schedule.

I love doing carts because I like the freedom of moving around and bouncing between all the front end work centers. It makes the time fly.

However, I don't appreciate it when they schedule me as a cashier or over at guest service and I come in wearing pants instead of shorts assuming I'm going to be indoors during the blazing hot summer months, or not wearing thermals for the winter months. If they want me doing carts why can't they just schedule me as a CA and then ask me to do whatever they want? Nothing aggravates me more than not being dressed for doing carts.

I have learned to keep that stuff in my car so I can change, but it's beside the point. I should know what I'm doing when I come to work so I can be dressed in the appropriate attire. Sorry for my rant. I just have a huge issue with the way they schedule you.

I know, I *hate* being a glorified CA. We've sort of compromised for now. We have 3 CAs. Two of them can cashier. So they are scheduled during the evenings during the weekdays as a cashier, but we have them get carts, thus the GSA can stay in and cover that lane instead, getting off (if possible) to attend to guests and other things.

They know they will be doing this, so they dress appropriately.

I hope this compromise lasts.

I know, I *hate* being a glorified CA. We've sort of compromised for now. We have 3 CAs. Two of them can cashier. So they are scheduled during the evenings during the weekdays as a cashier, but we have them get carts, thus the GSA can stay in and cover that lane instead, getting off (if possible) to attend to guests and other things.

They know they will be doing this, so they dress appropriately.

I hope this compromise lasts.
I'm SO glad other ULV stores GSA's are in the same boat. Heck, we even call our GSA shifts the same thing. Lol. I had a small mental breakdown with my ETL and it basically ended with "I was flexible and accepted your request to open my availability and work dayside GSTL/GSA shifts because I assumed you needed GSTL coverage and I'd be doing what you scheduled me for. I didn't do it so I could be a CA in disguise 40 hours a week."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back