Archived Cashier with the sniffles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I am 3 weeks in and I came down with a cold today. I am quite sniffly and I need a tissue about every 20-30 minutes. I don't want to call in sick but I am wondering how Target feels about me bringing tissues to the register and possibly blowing my nose in front of customers? As a customer I would be totally grossed out by a cashier doing that and touching my stuff. :eek:

Go in and speak to leadership about it, but plan on being asked to stay till the end of your shift. Bring tissues and hand sanitizer. If there are plenty of cashiers, your leadership might just send you home but in my experience, unless you're feeling very ill we don't like to send anyone home.

Calling out because you have a cold?? This happened to me for plenty of my cashier shifts. We have tissues and hand sanitizer at most of our registers so I just made sure I had them at my lane. I use hand sanitizer every shift, sick or not either half my guests are sick, I wind up being handed stuff from sticky kids, or get stuck picking up one nasty thing or another.

I thought this thread was going to go in a totally different direction...
we had some TM's with "the sniffles" too, but they weren't sick at all.

Bringing tissues to the register shouldn't be something you should worry about...if you're sick, you have the right to blow your nose. I wouldn't advise doing it in front of guests (wait til in between and if you have to shut your light off for a sec then go ahead.) It may be helpful to ask if they could put you on something else, like helping with reshop or something, so that you wont have to worry about that hassle though.

Basically what others have said, but if you're sick to the point where you can't do your job well there's no issue with taking a day off. Just let them know as soon as possible.

turns out the store manager says no way to a kleenex box. I have to stuff my pockets. But I lived.

turns out the store manager says no way to a kleenex box. I have to stuff my pockets. But I lived.
I'd call her to the checklanes ever five minutes so she could bring me a kleenex.

I'd wait for her to tell me off for doing so, and to state she would not bring me kleeex on command.

Then respond with, "No problem.", and grab her shirt and blow my nose on it.

I mean, yeah, I'd get fired, but fuck working anywhere that's going to tell me I can't have a box of kleenex without also offering to send me home as an alternative.

If the store needs cashiers, nothing short of a serious injury or illness will let you leave early.

yesterday I was coughing and sneezing my whole shift, they didn't care. Today I am even worse and I feel bad for the customers but I don't even know how to call in sick LOL

I was actually wondering what to do when you're sick as a cashier. Would it be acceptable to wear one of those sterile medical masks so that if you cough or sneeze, it won't have a chance to get everywhere?

I was actually wondering what to do when you're sick as a cashier. Would it be acceptable to wear one of those sterile medical masks so that if you cough or sneeze, it won't have a chance to get everywhere?

Probably not. Those masks might cause the guests to panic and not come to your lane, as they'll think you're very contagious. Get some dayquil/nyquil/mucinex and grab a couple of the travel packages for tissue and stuff them in your pockets. Also a bottle of hand sanitizer.

Probably not. That would draw more attention to your sickness than coughing/sneezing, unless you are coughing constantly.

yesterday I was coughing and sneezing my whole shift, they didn't care. Today I am even worse and I feel bad for the customers but I don't even know how to call in sick LOL

To call in, all you have to do is call your store and ask the operator to transfer you to the LOD. Then you just need to explain to the LOD that you are sick and won't be able to come to work. Be very careful though, attendance is a serious issue and I would only call out sick if it would heavily affect your performance or you are in pain.

Damn (though honestly I'd probably want to call attention to it so they're like wHOA WHOA HWOHAOHWAOHWA BUDDY ur sick go home) oh well, good to know though. I think I'm starting to get the semblance of a cold so I should start stocking up. This is also probably my fault for sleeping with a fan on while under 4 huge blankets.

If you are dealing with food as a cashier it might be a problem they might put you on self check out so you don't get any guest mad

Probably not. That would draw more attention to your sickness than coughing/sneezing, unless you are coughing constantly.

To call in, all you have to do is call your store and ask the operator to transfer you to the LOD. Then you just need to explain to the LOD that you are sick and won't be able to come to work. Be very careful though, attendance is a serious issue and I would only call out sick if it would heavily affect your performance or you are in pain.

Attendance as a serious issue is ASANTS. My store is so desperate for cashiers thst there are unfortunately NO repercussions for calling in sick or NCNS. Heck, my store was so desperate that I was called in to work 5 days after my last day at Spot.

However, best not to call in until you have your 90 days in. Play it safe!

ya I am only on my 3rd week so I really don't want to be calling in sick yet. But if a cashier was coughing as much as I am, I would totally move lines. Isn't it kinda sad that they'd rather have the coverage than have me not spread it around to everyone? I kinda thought they'd send me home the first night I showed up with my kleenex box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back