Archived Chain of Command

Status
Not open for further replies.

jedijenchan

new kid
I have been at Target for about a month, and I still do not understand the chain of command. Granted, I am leaving at the end of this month, but I still don't understand who's generally in charge. It does not seem to be a static person in charge, managers seem to change from day to day, and this is a bit confusing. Apparently there are also three or more HR team members, and none of them seem to know what's going on at any given time.

Can someone here clarify who team members are supposed to report to at the beginning of your shift?

Ive been terribly confused. I have never got a straight answer.

Sales Floor TM.

Depends on the store and position.
Cashiers go to the GSA/GSTL
At the end of tenure while doing salesfloor, I just look at the daily salesfloor schedule to see where I am assigned, walkie over that I am on the clock, and go to work. Never speaking to the closing TL until the end of the night.

Thats a complicated question especially when you throw in the Brand/GSA TM.

Simpliest terms of authority from bottom to top its:
TM/GSA/Brand TM
TL
AP
SrTL
ETL
STL
DTL

In status:
Cart Attendant/Brand Attendant
Food Ave
Cashier
Guest Service TM
Sales Floor TM
Brand TM
Team Lead
Senior Team Lead
ETL-HR
ETL-Guest Experience
ETL-Pharmacy
ETL-Salesfloor/Grocery
ETL-Logistics
STL
DTL

Last edited:
LOD is whoever has the Leader responsibilities for the day, he is the go-to-guy (or gal). This can either be an ETL, SrTL, or the STL himself. For example, on a Tuesday morning, there are about 3 ETL's. One of them is going to be the LOD. Now lets say the STL is there, sometimes an ETL will have the designated "LOD" duties for that morning, but the STL always has the final word on anything in the store, as he is the "Store manager".

And we won't even get into the whole TLOD thing.

The point is, there are multiple people who can be in charge. The same person doesn't work every day. They might even work different shifts. The idea is, there is always one LOD. Leader-On-Duty. They are the go-to person for that shift.

Opening LoD - Task: Usually there are two. Whoever opens on logistics will open the building and bring down the alarm. They will then set the flow, pricing, presentation, and other teams out to to their tasks. Once the daytime person (not flow) gets there, they will take over LoD responsibilities. The opening LOD typically does a 6-3, 7-4, etc.

Mid LOD - Service: Nowadays, there is rarely a mid LOD. When there are multiple ETLs/Sr. TLs in the building, they might pass the buck on to one of their peers around 11am. This LOD is supposed to focus on service. That's stuff like CIHYFS, service blitzing, etc.

Closing LOD - Recovery: Closing LOD usually comes in around 2-3pm, and takes over as LOD around 3-4pm. They focus on zoning, reshop, and providing a clean store for the next day.

An LoD can be:

STL/Sr. ETL/ETL - These are all salaried positions, and typically work 50 hours a week or more. They can work any LOD shift.
Sr. TL - This is an hourly position, and is higher up the chain of command than a regular Team Leader, but they hold alarm codes and door keys. They can work any LOD shift.
Logistics Key Carrier - This is an hourly position, but they hold alarm codes and door keys. They are only supposed to work Flow shifts (O/N, 4am, 6am).

Other TLs and TMs cannot be LoD. Again, there is a Team Leader On Duty program (TLOD), but they focus mainly on getting things completed on the salesfloor, and do not hold any responsibilities outside of who is working on what project.

AP is a tricky one. Essentially they are their own entity at a store. And you have your own position statuses in AP.

IMO, AP is over TLs mainly for safety reasons. And that even AP can investigate TLs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back