Change departments after seasons

Hey! So in October I was hired as a seasonal GM employee. I am just a high school student, so I haven't had many shifts yet because of classes, but throughout November I was trained in GM, cashier, and fulfillment. My leaders seem to like me and always compliment my work, so if I am asked to stay after the seasons, I was wondering if I would be able to switch departments to either cashier or fulfillment, because I feel like I am better fit for it, and it is less stressful for me. If that is possible, would I call HR or ask one of my ETLs to make the change? I appreciate any answers :)

If you are asked to stay, they'll either keep you in your department or move you somewhere else based on business needs. You can ask them to move you somewhere specific, but that might hurt your chances of being kept on because if they only need a GMTM and you've told them you don't want to be there, then they won't keep you.

Front end and fulfillment are difficult areas to move to right after the holidays. Both work centers hire a lot of seasonals and often tend to keep very few because their hours shrink considerably in January. The store will need to have an opening in one of those areas and like you there better than any of the seasonals they've hired for those areas.

You can request to change departments. Its always good to cross train. The main issue will be hours. After the holidays, hours will be minimal. The Front tends to be friendly to high schoolers and minors. Depending on your leadership availability may be an issue. Some stores either want openers, closers or both.

You can always ask, but be prepared for a negative response. As others have said, hours drop like a rock in January.
Much will depend on your availability. Of course, you're not available during hours you have classes. If you're a minor, your state probably has regulations about how many hours per week you can work and maybe how late you're allowed to work. But if you're available on weekends, that would be something in your favor.

Hey! So in October I was hired as a seasonal GM employee. I am just a high school student, so I haven't had many shifts yet because of classes, but throughout November I was trained in GM, cashier, and fulfillment. My leaders seem to like me and always compliment my work, so if I am asked to stay after the seasons, I was wondering if I would be able to switch departments to either cashier or fulfillment, because I feel like I am better fit for it, and it is less stressful for me. If that is possible, would I call HR or ask one of my ETLs to make the change? I appreciate any answers :)
You can always switch to cashier. After Christmas sfs will have too many employees and not enough hours. Most seasonals will be let go.

You can ask, but it will depend on business needs. If you're good at your job and kept on, your ETL likely won't want to give you up.

If it looks like GM won't be able to keep as many people, you can say you're open to staying on in other departments, but I would assume fulfillment is off the table because their hours tank hard and almost nobody is kept (at least at my store).

Back