Archived Changing positions & pay

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I work in signing, and recently found out I'm pregnant. Obviously signing requires heavy lifting and the use of the wave, so I requested to be moved.

My STL just told me that I will be losing my pay grade.

I have moved ALL over this store- Softlines to Backroom to hard lines, cashier to Softlines to signing. I have never ONCE gone down in pay grade.

Is this even legal??? Help!

That seems seriously out of line.
If it's a temporary change for the time of the pregnancy. I don't even think it's legal.

Why would it be not legal? People take pay cuts all the time for all sorts of reasons. It may seem a shitty thing to do, but it is not illegal.

Because pregnancy is a protected class under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act. What you need to do is get a doctor's note detailing the pregnancy if necessary, then talk to your ETL-HR and tell them you need a temporary change to light duty because of your pregnancy. This is where the doctor's note comes in handy, it probably won't be necessary though. They also have to hold your position open if you take maternity leave, the same as if you had taken a short term disability leave, which means no demotions either.

Don't say you want a permanent workcenter transfer, they can use that to rope you into dropping paygrades because it was on request to change workcenters, not a temporary change. You want what I detailed above.
If they fight you on this, I'd say try the TMSC or the integrity hotline, and probably consult an attorney.

Because pregnancy is a protected class under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act. What you need to do is get a doctor's note detailing the pregnancy if necessary, then talk to your ETL-HR and tell them you need a temporary change to light duty because of your pregnancy. This is where the doctor's note comes in handy, it probably won't be necessary though. They also have to hold your position open if you take maternity leave, the same as if you had taken a short term disability leave, which means no demotions either.

Don't say you want a permanent workcenter transfer, they can use that to rope you into dropping paygrades because it was on request to change workcenters, not a temporary change. You want what I detailed above.
If they fight you on this, I'd say try the TMSC or the integrity hotline, and probably consult an attorney.

QFT

If you want to change your position permanently, then yes, you'll have to take a pay cut.

If it's just until after you get back from maternity leave, then your pay is protected and you need to clarify that with HR. I would assume once you make sure they know that you will resume your full duties after your leave they won't hassle you about it (super illegal to discriminate for pregnancy).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back