Archived Chapter 2: They Didn't Keep Me

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was obsessing over being a seasonal cashier this past Christmas, and they didn't ask me to go permanent. I figured they didn't keep any cashiers. But last night I went to Target as a guest, and there was a girl who said she started the same time as me, and they kept her perm. She said they kept about 5 cashiers. So of course, there may be factors I don't know about, but why didn't they keep me?

I was going to reapply after 60 days (is it 60 days after the last workday?) but I wonder now if there is any point. I am so upset! I thought they liked me! I was never late, never called out, no incidents.

You people have been so much help. I need your input.

Ok, 1. Perfect for that. All availability, I was
  1. They said they used to time the cashiers but they stopped, they want customer engagement, chat, which I excelled at. I wasn't a slow cashier though.
  2. In the first few weeks, my light went on, but after that, not very much at all
  3. Not so great
  4. Who the heck knows? I got along with everyone, never had words.

Any point in reapplying?

For a cashier:

1. Availability
  2. Speed
  3. Ability to do your job without too much assistance (at my store, if you were a seasonal constantly blinking your light...you probably didn't make the cut)
  4. Red Cards
  5. Personality fit
Red cards is not a thing anymore

Ok, 1. Perfect for that. All availability, I was
  1. They said they used to time the cashiers but they stopped, they want customer engagement, chat, which I excelled at. I wasn't a slow cashier though.
  2. In the first few weeks, my light went on, but after that, not very much at all
  3. Not so great
  4. Who the heck knows? I got along with everyone, never had words.
Any point in reapplying?

It doesn't hurt. If you get an interview, use target lingo and your target experiences to answer the questions. But look at yourself though, your expected to offer red cards. It's okay if you don't get them as long as you ask. Ask yourself am I?

I'm sorry to hear you weren't kept but that doesn't mean you can't come back.

A note though ...they DO still count volume and speed and RedCards ALWAYS make a big difference.

The register counts how many guests you processed, average order, how fast each took, and what form of payment was used.

That never changed no matter what anyone says.

I'm sorry to hear you weren't kept but that doesn't mean you can't come back.

A note though ...they DO still count volume and speed and RedCards ALWAYS make a big difference.

The register counts how many guests you processed, average order, how fast each took, and what form of payment was used.

That never changed no matter what anyone says.

Okay doom and gloom. Speed metrics haven't been a thing for awhile. If you're taking 30 minutes to ring up 4 items that's a different story.

I see no reason not to reapply, unless you find something else in the meantime.

I see no reason not to reapply, unless you find something else in the meantime.
@Shoptilyadrop I agree with @GoodyNN !

And even if they only give you 4 measly hours a week and you have something else you still get the very attractive TM discounts, the 401K after 1,000 hours (they can rack up fast), and the interest bearing Baxter Credit Union checking account and all the perks therein!

So, yes! Reapply BUT this time, if hired, don't listen to anyone saying speed and RedCards aren't looked at as they most definitely ARE.

Good luck to you!

I was an education major so I always think in terms of school. In a school, the Principal often ONLY knew the names of the top 10% and the bottom 10% of students, unfortunate, but often true. Every other student was a blur in the sea of faces. In December EVERYONE is SO busy that it is hard to remember so many new names and faces and people that were strong performers - unless you stood out from the crowd somehow - in a good or bad way. Maybe you were fine, even good. BUT if there are only hours to keep 5 and there were 5 OTHERS that made an important contribution/impression, then they were kept and you slipped through the cracks. Re-apply in the Spring, those hires are permanent from the start. Your past experience as a seasonal will be your advantage against the other applicants.

@Shoptilyadrop I agree with @GoodyNN !

And even if they only give you 4 measly hours a week and you have something else you still get the very attractive TM discounts, the 401K after 1,000 hours (they can rack up fast), and the interest bearing Baxter Credit Union checking account and all the perks therein!

So, yes! Reapply BUT this time, if hired, don't listen to anyone saying speed and RedCards aren't looked at as they most definitely ARE.

Good luck to you!

Again speed metrics are not a thing. Doesn't mean you shouldn't be slow.

The same thing happened to me last Jan, so I waited till March, the 60 day waiting period, and I applied at another Target. I got the position as a cashier part time, and I am still there, big surprise to me, so my advice is to wait the 60 days, re-apply and maybe at a different store, because from what I was told as long as you are on the re hire list you have a good chance of getting back in. Good Luck

Speed metrics aren't a thing, sure, but if I see Seasonal Wanda is getting through her line consistently faster than Seasonal Dave every single shift, then I'm going to give the nod to Wanda when it's decision time. And maybe Red Cards aren't as big of a thing anymore but every night LOD asks the GSTL/A how many we got and who got them so....getting them still makes an impression.

The same thing happened to me last Jan, so I waited till March, the 60 day waiting period, and I applied at another Target. I got the position as a cashier part time, and I am still there, big surprise to me, so my advice is to wait the 60 days, re-apply and maybe at a different store, because from what I was told as long as you are on the re hire list you have a good chance of getting back in. Good Luck

Thank you! I intend to do just this; there is a smaller Target nearby too. I have to ask, how is the 60 days measured? My last work day was January 4, is that 60 days from then to reapply?

Thank you! I intend to do just this; there is a smaller Target nearby too. I have to ask, how is the 60 days measured? My last work day was January 4, is that 60 days from then to reapply?
I didn't even know there was a 60 day rule. I'd forge right on ahead and try to get hired. I'd notice that kind of fortitude and you'd be on top of my list.

😁

According to two different TMs at the HROC, you only have to wait 90 days from your original application date to apply again. So if you were seasonal and completed your 90 days, you are free to apply again. Though I would recommend waiting till hours go up again, possibly April or May, but ASANTS.

they probably did like you. at my store, almost all of the cashiers were seasonal'd out - there are usually so many regular tm's for cashiering and not much payroll for cashiers (especially in january), so there's a large pressure for them to cut seasonals to ensure the regulars get at least some hours. i'm sorry you didn't get kept on though, that really sucks :(. there may be a point in re-applying, if you enjoyed the job and maybe want to apply for another workcenter open at your store (higher chance of being kept on as well as ... a lot of stores, i believe, only hire regular at this time of year.)

They can’t hold you accountable for the quantity but they can hold you accountable for not offering it.
They can’t do shit about it. And you can tell them to show it because you are not some collections

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back