Archived Checking out Walkies/MyDevice with an ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaitii

yeah
So my store just started doing this thing where. Walkies and MyDevices are locked up in C/O and if you want one, you need an ID of sorts. Just, anything with your name on it (discount card, name badge, drivers license, etc). Apparently they've gotten so annoyed with them going missing for days that they finally decided to lock them up. Walkie battery dies? Track down the GSTL or someone with keys to open the door for you. End of your shift? Same thing. I really hate having to leave my personal belongings in there just to check out a walkie. I mean, I understand why they did it, but honestly they could have just locked them up with the sign out sheet. It's just a huge annoying hassle.

Do any of your stores do a thing like that? Do you guys have a better way of monitoring who takes walkies/mydevices?

They make you leave something when you take a myDevice/walkie? I guess I'd be fine with leaving my name tag... And what happens if you need multiple items?

No, we don't have anything like that. You sign your PDA/myDevice out, keep it with you, then sign it back in and put it away when done. Not sure why you would need to sign out a walkie. We have tons to go around and there's no reason to leave it lying somewhere since it's easy to clip to your clothes.

Equipment is in a locked cabinet, but it's left open when the morning teams come in at 6. After that, it can be opened by a keyholder or anyone with GSTL or electronics keys.

The equipment room is locked on and off at my store, I think leadership gets annoyed because if anyone needs anything they have to wait around to get the door opened. I wouldn't want to leave my ID just to get a walkie or PDA.

Ours are locked up. It's a pain in the ass when there's nobody else in tsc to push the button to open the door for you. We just have a sign out sheet. The is no fricking way I would leave my ID. I'll bet your STL is going to get their hand slapped for that.
What do you mean STL we don't even have an STL right now

They make you leave something when you take a myDevice/walkie? I guess I'd be fine with leaving my name tag... And what happens if you need multiple items?

No, we don't have anything like that. You sign your PDA/myDevice out, keep it with you, then sign it back in and put it away when done. Not sure why you would need to sign out a walkie. We have tons to go around and there's no reason to leave it lying somewhere since it's easy to clip to your clothes.

Equipment is in a locked cabinet, but it's left open when the morning teams come in at 6. After that, it can be opened by a keyholder or anyone with GSTL or electronics keys.

If you need multiple items you need multiple forms of ID. Anything with your name works, though someone left their car keys. 90% of our walkies don't even have clips so that's probably why they get lost a lot.

If you want my I.d, guess what I guess I'm not getting a walkie or any other device. I've never lost anything. Track down the people who are.
It would be nice but it's hard to track down what walkies are missing when literally the whole sign in sheet consists of "no number" under walkie number

That's bullshit. For starters, where are they keeping people's IDs and car keys? Who has access to them? What happens if any of them are lost or stolen? I'm willing to bet whoever came up with this system at your store hasn't thought this through.

Your store doesn't have an STL, but do they have some kind of AP presence? They should be losing their shit over this right now.

Our DTL found 4 walkies at a pawn shop last year. He gathered the entire store for huddle and exclaimed that losing any equipment is a write up. Lose equipment 3 times and it's termination.

That's bullshit. For starters, where are they keeping people's IDs and car keys? Who has access to them? What happens if any of them are lost or stolen? I'm willing to bet whoever came up with this system at your store hasn't thought this through.

Your store doesn't have an STL, but do they have some kind of AP presence? They should be losing their shit over this right now.
They're locked up in the cash office. Anyone who can get in there has access to them. Honestly if someone really wanted to they can swipe something of value that might be left there because the person opening the door for a TM usually waits outside or holds the door open and doesn't pay attention.

I think it might actually be AP's idea. We have ETL-AP, APS and TPS and I think it's the TPS who started this.

Our DTL found 4 walkies at a pawn shop last year. He gathered the entire store for huddle and exclaimed that losing any equipment is a write up. Lose equipment 3 times and it's termination.
There always walkies on eBay including AP ones

First of all...years ago we had a etl who did the same thing. We had to either give them our keys or ID to get a pda , walkie etc. You turn it in you get your belongings back. This lasted about a week ...the dtl found out about it and put a stop to it . Not only did she put a stop to it the etl who started it and the stl apologized( I am assuming they were made to) at a morning huddle . They told us they were not allowed to hold our Id etc. Secondly, Lets pretend some ones Id gets stolen, or keys...then what ? What if someone copies down someone address from their ID etc...Target is opening their selves up for a crap load of legal issues by allowing even one store to do this . I wouldn't be going to the stl cause guess what the stl has to know its going on...I would go straight to the hotline .

Last edited:
The c/o is probably the safest place for your keys. So if you don't feel like giving up your keys to take equipment (that costs more than your keys are worth) then that's your problem. But I think that is how it should work. Either that or they take money out of your paycheck to cover the cost of equipment being lost. Sort of like a deposit. Maybe then team members become responsible adults, and take care of the electronics they are given to help guests, which means you get a paycheck.

The c/o is probably the safest place for your keys. So if you don't feel like giving up your keys to take equipment (that costs more than your keys are worth) then that's your problem. But I think that is how it should work. Either that or they take money out of your paycheck to cover the cost of equipment being lost. Sort of like a deposit. Maybe then team members become responsible adults, and take care of the electronics they are given to help guests, which means you get a paycheck.

in a normal store yes. but its the low traffic that makes it normally safe. anyone with a key or gsa/gstl/cash office team can get in with a code. likely they aren't storing things in the actual safe.

other than that yeah, that's the real issue. we were hunting down walkies and most had to go through 3-4 batteries a shift. we ordered a bunch of new walkies. not even a couple months later, so many of them damaged/lost, we have to wait till we can afford more. this isn't like not having enough pda's/my devices. we had plenty that worked. people repeatedly treat them like shit and we have to suffer because of it.

My keys are my keys...how much they are worth isn't the issue. I own my keys. If Target loses them then what ? Do tms need to be more responsible with equipment...of course. However, how about tracking down the tms who break the walkies and pdas or hide them. Let there be an ap visit and all the sudden ( at least at my store) the leadership is all about equipment control.. sign out and in etc. .take that attitude and apply it to everyday and presto problem solved

Last edited:
Just request hr to get you some more name badges. Or, just take a few of the blank ones for new TMs and write on your name with a sharpie. Or, turn in your badge to get a walkie, and go badge less on the floor. Anyone asks why, tell them you swapped it for equipment to do your job.

Those keys are attached to a truck that is worth more than some make in a year. Leadership and their lack of holding idiots feet to the fire is not justification for wanting to hold my personal property hostage. Yeah no..

The liability if a car turned up missing..

My car key alone costs over $300, so it's a big fucking problem if it goes missing.

And you would have to be insane to be ok with Target taking money out of YOUR paycheck as a security deposit on THEIR equipment.

There always walkies on eBay including AP ones
How is an ap walkie different from a regular walkie? I never even noticed ap walkie was different.

Also where is the cash office normally located? I always thought cash office was just like some spot in guest service. Didn't realize it was an actual location...

How is an ap walkie different from a regular walkie? I never even noticed ap walkie was different.

Also where is the cash office normally located? I always thought cash office was just like some spot in guest service. Didn't realize it was an actual location...

AP walkie has more channels.

Our cash office was the locked room behind guest services. Only someone with LOD privileges/keys can get in.

And you would have to be insane to be ok with Target taking money out of YOUR paycheck as a security deposit on THEIR equipment.

In my state, it's not just insane, it's illegal. An employer cannot withold money from an employee's paycheck even preemptively for damages or loss caused by an employee. The only time anything can be "taken out of your paycheck" is if the employer can prove that the damage/loss was intentional on the part of the employee, such as if I chucked my myDevice into the baler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back