Archived Clopening..

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneArmedJesus

Entertainment DBO
How do you guys deal with it, I'm clopening for the first time at Target. Just closed Electronics, got be back at 8am for SFS.

Lots of coffee. First couple hours are dead as all get out so it drags pretty bad.

2016 Q4. Used to do 12:30a off and come in at 6:30a. Stayed to support salesfloor, had to open SB/Cafe the next morning. One Flow Guy was always like “Hey didn’t I just see you leave!?” God a month of that was hell. Idk how I did it.

I had one team member lose their damn mind over a clopening shift.

Finally had to pull her to the side and basically tell her to shut up. If you can't work the shift, put it up on the swap shift board. If you never want to clopen, change your availability.

She told me I didn't understand how tough it was. I let her know I clopen every week so that didn't fly. Then she said she needed the hours and wouldn't change her availability because then she'd get less hours.

Fast forward to clopen shifts. She didn't have one damn problem and now tells other team members it's not a big deal to clopen.

Back before Market was E2E and I was a PA, I liked clopening market because I could set myself up for a really great open the next day. You got to reap all the rewards of your labor and it was so satisfying, and with the time you saved, you could put towards all those little pFresh projects that nobody makes time for but still have to be done anyway.

Now that we're E2E and I have zero control over what I work on during any given market shift, clopening is much less satisfying.

Go to bed.
Don't check your computer or watch some TV etc.
You will find yourself up way too late and won't get nearly enough sleep to function.
Set two alarms if necessary.

The nice part is that when you walk in the door there won't be any surprises.
It will be just the way you left it.

1) always kick the tires on if you can leave a bit early or start slightly later when you clopen. My store we do this when we can. The problem is the Saturday schedule going into the Sunday is a completely different schedule so it's easy to miss clopens

2) can't stress this enough, make sure you get a good night's rest. Clopens are hard because generally when you get off it's hard to get down right away.

Edit @commiecorvus hit the nail on the head about deplugging .

3) it's nice to get a bunch of work done in a short period of time. I'm clopening tonight, open tomorrow and then I'm off for 2 days. I don't mind to "get it over with"

I deal with it by telling them don't schedule me to clopen.

I'm usually okay until I hit my meal on the second day. If I sit down and eat, I feel like the exhaustion hits me all at once. But if I can find excuses to walk around during that break (grocery shopping, getting some fresh air, whatever) I don't lose quite as much steam.

If I were in charge, I would give anyone clopening a free drink or 3 at Starbucks, at the very least. I could do a clopen, if it weren't 8 hours both shifts. If I did my usual 5 hour at night and 5-8 in the morning, I don't think that would be too bad. 16 hours on my feet out of 24 would be rough, though.

Good news I'm fully awake

Bad news there's some sort of visit

Clopening is INSANE and totally unnecessary if you have a full crew.

Fuck redcards - FUCK clopening!!!

Granted I have another job but I clopen every day (closing Target, opening other job) and honestly, it's not a big deal. Just don't decompress from the closing shift for too long.

Just don't decompress from the closing shift for too long.

Yeah, I do this a couple times a week, and this is my problem. Way too much going to bed after midnight. I need to...not do that, but it's hard since I'm wide awake when I get home.

I don't mind closing, but clopening is soooo pointless ! Would it be so hard to give me the next day off, or at least a mid-shift so I can get adequate sleep? The next day I find myself making stupid mistakes, because I'm definitely not firing on all four cylinders, and as someone stated earlier; after my break I'm totally shot. It's not only me; they do this to quite a few people in my store, and we're all walking around like zombies.

I work 8-430 Monday-Friday at my full time job (3 days a week I have an hour commute to one of our offices). I never thought of it until someone said it above but I’m esssentially clopening between the two. I regularly close 2-3x week (holidays was 4-5).

I drink a lot of soda...occasionally espresso drinks. I go without enough sleep and eat at
weird times.

Anyone making the schedule who doesn't realize the benefits of having a well-rested TM on the floor shouldn't be making the schedule in the first place.

Being scheduled a clopening shift should be the anomaly, not the norm.

FUCK clopening!

Clopening sucks. Get plenty of sleep, and coffee might be necessary as well. Good luck!

gotta love it or hate it... i love it cause i set myself up for success and get done early and more time off.

I just feel like it's so pointless. If a TM has open availability, i feel like you shouldn't set them to that. TMs (including me) i've seen just get dragged and barely are alive for there next shift. Maybe it's b/c you are fully open, and other TMs can't meet that avaibility/it's just staffing needs.

Clopenings is why I be getting call outs so much. My ETL is clueless with the schedule often.

Clopenings is why I be getting call outs so much. My ETL is clueless with the schedule often.
When my ETL took over writing the schedule he was making TMs clopen a lot. I talked to him and he tries to check for it now, and I check before the schedule posts too. Once in a while it's necessary... But it's pretty rare.

We have a new HRTM writing the schedule and she is giving me a disproportionate amount of clopens, to the point I'm about to go to her boss. I'm clopening almost every weekend now (when I'm supposed to have every other weekend off). That said, clopens occasionally happen, and @commiecorvus's tips are spot-on. I come home and go to bed instead of staying up (I'll stick my earbuds in and listen to relaxing music if I'm having a hard time falling asleep).

I also make sure I do as much for myself as possible during my close to make the next day's opening smooth -- and when it calms down during that last hour, I try to stay relaxed as I do my closing tasks so I'm not all wound up when I come home.

And if it's a weekend, I pray one of the younger ETLs isn't opening LOD, because they're always late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back