Archived Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like my store. But when push comes to shove they actually work hard and get things done.

Most of my team isn't bad, but there are a select few who actually hurt our workflow so much that we'd be more productive without them.

out of my 9-person Starbucks team, we have about .5 people worth of dead weight. everyone is amazing, though I'd imagine that part of it is that we've only been open for two months now so we're not really burnt out. we cut the chaff very early on, and even the guy who is only halfway effective has improved.

in the whole store... honestly, it's mostly good there as well. we have a LOT of good dedicated team members. obviously I can't speak for every workcenter, but the only people I can think of offhand who don't seem to contribute as much as the average would be two or three cashiers, one of the cart attendants MAYBE, and one or two people on the salesfloor at most. people who aren't willing to do work either don't get hired here, get termed very quickly (usually for theft...), or leave once they discover that our store actually expects them to pull their weight.

Our dayside backroom team is pretty strong with the exception of the one or two team members that did return to stock without removing the product from their hold locations. I can't speak for overnight, though. Our sales floor team is fairly strong besides the seasonals.

I'd say 75% of my team. It's actually a huge source of frustration to me right now.
I'm the ETL-HR. We're an extremely red store in all areas. I'm new in role. My training stores were smooth running stores that did not adequately prepare me for the situation this store is in. Granted I could do like my STL expects me to do and sit in my office all day but my HR TM is a rockstar and I still manage to find time to get my tasks done each day generally so I spend more time out on the floor trying to help catch up pogs/salesplans. We're 200 something salesplans behind. We have outs everywhere, empty end and sidecaps everywhere. Our flow team itself isn't horrible but they aren't great. Our backroom team has two good people the rest are laughable. All the good people are on POG & price change team but they can't keep up with their stuff because of supporting so much elsewhere too.

Our ETL team is meh. Our ETL AP sits in his office all day hiding even during LOD shifts. Our ETL Sales floor/GE just quit the week before I came - likely out of stress. I replaced an ETL-HR who supposedly was fired due to code of conduct issues. We have a rockstar ETL-Logistics who does amazing considering what she has to work with. Our ETL food is pretty great. Our STL is a great speaker but honestly pretty terrible at everything else.. in my opinion.. He likes to take extremely long "walks" with us ETLs talking about positive Target culture and wins/ops for the company but rarely anything actually about our store. I'm new in role and already have been lectured by him a couple times for spending too much time on the floor (even though I get all my tasks done and just in general how much I'm helping by doing work on the floor that isn't really mine to do).
Out of everyone in the store. I feel like I have maybe 10 people I can count on. I'm very frustrated with just how I don't feel anyone cares. Things could run so much smoother. I'm working unnecessary 11/12 hour days just to try to help out in areas that aren't mine. I'm getting close to bringing up all my concerns with my DTL.. It might bite me in the butt however something needs to drastically change in my store if things are supposed to improve. Right now people aren't held accountable for anything in my store and people don't work as a team.

Just things like people who have 10 call ins for a month and haven't even been coached. Or all the TMs we have that doing pulls will leave their pull and walk one item from it to the other end of the store and go back to get another 1 or two items that go to that same area. No one works efficiently at all. Ignoring guests/call boxes/calls in general/etc.

Excuse me for my vent, its my first real vent session.

Welcome to The Break Room
DragonSlayer! Vent as much as you want because this is a safe place. Many of us have learned more here that we did in our training. Hang in there because I'm sure you have some good TMs who are hoping/praying for a miracle. Sounds like you need one!

@sabria , being in hr, the burden of hiring, retaining staff, & proper training falls under you & resolve the issues. It is suggested to figure where the weaknesses are in the team. Etl-ap is doing his job by watching cameras & lp stuff.
It is suggested to tell your stl, that you are trying to a green status on salesfloor to drive sales to get more hours for your team. You may have to keep on working 11/12 hours a day until you get the whole team up to spot green expectations. Your stl maybe expecting you to run front end to motivate for red cards & great survey scores too.

@sabria 19 years old, living at home, no Bachelors degree and your store and STL hired you when you weren't even qualified and took a chance on you and brought you into the team. Shame on you for calling your fellow ETL team "meh" and your store team busting their asses every day for you 75% dead weight, and your STL who hired you "terrible at his job"! Now you are practically calling yourself the best thing that ever happened to that store and the hardest working employee there!? BS! The arrogance that oozes from your comments is frustrating to say the least. Be thankful you even have the position you're in. 9 times out of 10, no other store would have hired you and the reasoning is clear. With this attitude, you don't deserve 75% of your team, your ETL coworkers should hate you and your STL should fire you. You're the newbie. But somehow experienced enough to call everyone else out on their poor performance?

Look in the mirror.....unless you change your perspective....YOU are the only dead weight in that store!

Last edited:
@sabria 19 years old, living at home, no Bachelors degree and your store and STL hired you when you weren't even qualified and took a chance on you and brought you into the team. Shame on you for calling your fellow ETL team "meh" and your store team busting their asses every day for you 75% dead weight, and your STL who hired you "terrible at his job"! Now you are practically calling yourself the best thing that ever happened to that store and the hardest working employee there!? BS! The arrogance that oozes from your comments is frustrating to say the least. Be thankful you even have the position you're in. 9 times out of 10, no other store would have hired you and the reasoning is clear. With this attitude, you don't deserve 75% of your team, your ETL coworkers should hate you and your STL should fire you. You're the newbie. But somehow experienced enough to call everyone else out on their poor performance?

Look in the mirror.....unless you change your perspective....YOU are the only dead weight in that store!

Bitter?

Not gonna estimate the whole store, but of our three BR daysiders, one is mostly useless and the other works well when he want to, but slacks during critical times when he's not the closer (basically being a jerk and making me pick up his slack). I have ways of dealing with him tho and I'm not letting him get away with it as much.

So you read all that and got " this person has a shitty perspective " out of it.

100% reading comprehension fail

I'm sorry you know so much more than I do about how my store operates. I haven't been in my store for long but apparently you've been here longer?

I'm a realist. My store is the worst in the district in all areas except red cards actually. We're red all over the board. Our HR process actually flows pretty well even before I got here (special thanks to our rockstar HR TM). I don't mean to sound like I'm the best worker here. I'm not. That'd definitely be our ETL Logistics who pretty much has been doing the same approach as I am now - trying to pick up all the slack in general areas.

@Hardlinesmaster I've spoke a lot to my STL and he just constantly tells me not to worry about stuff outside of HR and that we'll have a new ETL-SF/GE soon. Even on my LOD shifts if he goes to my office and I'm not there and instead on the floor or in the backroom doing something non-HR related he'll lecture me. It doesn't take all 10-12 hours that I'm there to get done what I need to get done in my office.. I mean my STL does give the vibe that he loves Target. However he's mostly just "present" and talks to us as if he's trying to recruit us for Target. Never actually directing any of his energy towards our store itself.

Our ETL-AP is the most unfriendly, quiet, and reserved person in an ETL role I've met. I understand AP has more office time than most others but I wish he could at least smile or be somewhat friendly when he IS out and about.

I just really want to see our store function properly like stores I was trained at. I'd like to not have 12 pulls on the line at 11pm that we have to leave for flow team. I'd like to not still have softlines VA's from november. I'd like to not have 100 empty/thrown together clearance endcaps/sidecaps. I'd like to not miss sales by 15-30k every day.

@Ross3268 I'm sorry for speaking what I've observed. However I wouldn't be on this board if I was going to sugarcoat all the bad and tell you want you wanted to hear. I don't feel like I deserve 75% of my team, I feel like I do deserve to work with people who can at least be motivated to not slow walk 1 item from their tub from grocery all the way to In With the New. I feel like I deserve to work with leadership who will hold their team accountable for 10 call ins in a month, signing out equipment, or not responding to callboxes/backup calls. When these team members are completely baffled and taken aback that I'm coaching them for these things - it shows me leadership hasn't been practicing accountability whatsoever.

That said, I don't mean for this next sentence to sound vain or arrogant - however this job was kind of thrown into my lap on accident. I don't really 100% need it and yes the money is great earlier than I expected and the experience is awesome. However I really want to finish my 4year and I'm semi-bummed that I won't be going off to the University with everyone else I was in school with starting in August (if I'm still here). I'm taking 3 classes online for it now on top of working for Target however it isn't the same. So at the very least I want to do the best I can to impact my store and make it a better place to work because that will make it more tolerable to be with Target for the long haul.

Ross I'd really love for you to come into my store and observe the majority of our team for a day. You know them so much better than I do already though so it probably wouldn't do much good. Then again from the way you assume and post here it sounds like you'd be one of the people who'd be content with performance issues and doesn't truly care about the job.

Anywho. I'm thinking about reaching out to my DTL this week. She's fantastic and I feel very comfortable talking to her. If it bites me in the butt - oh well. I'd just like to get her feedback on whether or not I'm overthinking it/heading in the wrong direction or what.

Last edited:
Every store has dead weight. Every store has team members who should had been fired their first week...or hell should had never been hired to begin with. Same goes for team leaders, Senior team leaders and etls, stls as well. However, every time I walk in the door at Target I bust my ass...so I don't have a lot of time to notice who isn't busting theirs. Grant it being if its someone who works near me ( Ie fellow backroom tm or a flow tm) I am more likely to notice. However, there are some that shouldn't even be allowed in the building .. Why are they? Cause they slather on the chapstick and kiss the right ass. If tms are not doing their job and are not being held accountable ...that's a leadership issue. If the same tms are calling out day after day once again that's a leadership issue. A tm isn't going to write themselves up or coach themselves.

Recently a TL too a newish TM offstage and warned them not to get mixed up in the bad crowd at work. She said to stay away from the TMs that are a bad influence. The TL told me this when it expressed concerns about the quality of the TM's work. What? Why do we have a bad crowd and TMs that are a bad influence? This time of year when hours are tight it really hurts us when TMs either don't do their jobs or do them poorly. Call outs are ridiculous at my store too.

Every store has dead weight. Every store has team members who should had been fired their first week...or hell should had never been hired to begin with. Same goes for team leaders, Senior team leaders and etls, stls as well. However, every time I walk in the door at Target I bust my ass...so I don't have a lot of time to notice who isn't busting theirs. Grant it being if its someone who works near me ( Ie fellow backroom tm or a flow tm) I am more likely to notice. However, there are some that shouldn't even be allowed in the building .. Why are they? Cause they slather on the chapstick and kiss the right ass. If tms are not doing their job and are not being held accountable ...that's a leadership issue. If the same tms are calling out day after day once again that's a leadership issue. A tm isn't going to write themselves up or coach themselves.
Exactly. This is the main issue at my store - no one has been held accountable in the past for poor attendance, poor performance, and more. I'm trying to change that. The only part of our store that functions is the food side and logistics side. Which both ETL's are fantastic. the ETL Logistics is new in role. The ETL Food has been an ETL food at another target for 10 years and came here a year ago and her work center runs good. I think leadership has just been a huge issue here. Not specifically blaming team members - obviously there are some issues there but the accountability issues in my store in my opinion have lead to the current situation. Our STL has been here a few years and I'm not sure how.. I'm still unsure as to what exactly he does. The other 3 STL's I've encountered at my training stores made an impact day to day - were consistently truly leading the team and running the store. My STL will just talk your ear off all day on how great Target is and how great the culture is - not anything directly helpful to our store.

It's frustrating but I know that's part of trying to turn this store around - which I want to be a part of.

Another issue is that because bad team members are not held accountable good team members suffer. They ( good team members) have to pick up the extra work and usually it doesn't even get noticed by anyone on the leadership side of things. Hold the bad tms accountable and tell the good tms they are doing a good job( and make sure its genuine or keep it to yourself )

Another issue is that because bad team members are not held accountable good team members suffer. They ( good team members) have to pick up the extra work and usually it doesn't even get noticed by anyone on the leadership side of things. Hold the bad tms accountable and tell the good tms they are doing a good job( and make sure its genuine or keep it to yourself )

Yep. Tired of cleaning up after people who can't be bothered but if I don't correct hat they screwed up? I get talked to? Go fuck yourself! Tell them to put the crap on the correct shelf, not why didn't you fix the bad truck push?

Last edited:
@sabria. Something you may not have learned yet, is that if you're going to spend the extra time at work, don't spend it putting out fires.

You are one person, and you can't ever set enough salesplanners or push enough freight to catch up. You're misdirecting your energy putting out fires, you aren't really fixing anything.

My advice to you is to start coaching tms yourself. Its tied to your metrics, and has a real measurable impact on the store. Tell your peers you are giving them the resources to do well, in this case, employees. It's up to them to use them.

From there, elevate your HR tm and push for him to be a Tl. Develop him and tell your DTL that he is worth the investment, and it would free you up to lead other areas while adding talent to the organization.

At the end of the day, you made a large impact, increased a metric in your own workcenter (absent %, etc) and developed another leader. This will get you promoted, or give you leverage to get yourself transferred out.

So you read all that and got " this person has a shitty perspective " out of it.

100% reading comprehension fail

@oath2order let me rephrase simply here so you can follow my logic. You get hired and then call everyone in your store shit. To me...that's a shitty perspective no matter what store and or situation you are in. Hope you can follow my logic. I feel it's quite simple really.

@sabria @sabria I'm sure your shoes are difficult and excruciating. Maybe just focus on changing the culture instead of submitting to its perceived "shitness". If it sucks get the wrong people off the damn bus and get the right ones on. You have the power and it's kinda your job. Any damn TM off the street can complain about how shit everyone is. They didn't need to hire you and pay you a salary for that. Go change some things. Be counter-cultural. That's all I'm saying. Half full....see it half full and fill that Mother-F**** to the brim and overflowing. Screw what the numbers look like and reports say!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back