Archived Closing in Market (Consumables)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meli4Target

Executive Team Leader- Human Resources
So the other night, I was scheduled to close in market. My shift was from 3-11:30pm, we usually have more than one closer in market. 3 during the weekend, and 2 during the week with a late mid (usually 1-9:30)
The store i work at is a pfresh store, with 10 4-foot section aisles. G1-G5 is paper, then G6-G18 is pfresh and freezers and coolers, then from G19-G43 is dry grocery.

So that night, i was the only one that was scheduled to close, and when i told the LOD she was said "well at the target i came from, you usually just have one market closer" She also came from a store that does 12,000 less in sales then we do.

I was just wondering for those of you, who close in market by yourself how do you do it?? like zone all of dry, zone pfresh, and do the cull?? it was very difficult that night & i had to cut corners, and i feel bad for doing that.

Any sort of significant culling is usually gonna happen in the morning unless your LOD is willing to let the zone slide some. It takes a long long time for one person to zone that much space (I know, my store only has 1 opener and 1 closer in market atm, haven't had any mids or more than 5 minutes of overlap since Q4 ended).

What's cutting corners for you is probably just our day to day reality. I pulled half a cart worth of outdated product off the shelves the other night when I closed simply because I was zoning pfresh and found it and I can't really walk away from that sort of stuff. Thankfully the ETL who was closing LOD was appreciative of the fact that I have a good eye for that sort of stuff and knows I'm doing everything I can over there.

Cel nailed it. That's my store to a T. I'm starting to get a few more hours so now I'm able to schedule and opener, a later mid, and a closer Friday-Sunday. On our lighter days during the week there is an opener and a closer with a 5 hour gap in between. I close one of those nights and it sucks. But you do what you can do. When you come across expired, you have to pull it. It slows you down, but you can't just leave it.

I was a market TM for quite a while before transferring to BR, low-mid C volume. typically I could come in at 3, and our opener left at 230, so no overlap, and an occasional note left of priorities. I would typically come in, grab the gobacks and on my way to ambient room put away anything easy. walk by milk cooler, jot down how much was needed to fill. check for notes and check the pulls (usually hadnt been done). Fill a flat with the needed milk. A little after 4 (after the CAF pulls were pulled) I would call "fresh and full by 4" and typically get the HLTM if we had one, maybe a cashier and usually the LOD to come over. one would rotate in and fill the milk, one or two push CAFs, push bananas, I would jump in and help get it done quick. Once done around 430, finish the gobacks and take a 15. Get back a bit after 5, push the 5PM CAF and quick pfresh sone. start the zone in dry and work toward the back, usually done around 9 with a lunch in there. Take last 15, clean in the back (if i have time), do trash, etc. grab last gobacks and do those, hit endcaps and touch up dry after the evening rush, zone paper then power zone pfresh (opener usually does a pretty good zone during morning cull and fill).

Rarely, if ever did I do any sort of cull by the time i left, unless i saw something way out of line

When I transferred to backroom, I would every M-W-F check for out of dates in the backroom after pulling the 730s. Mondays I would check all the juice area for out of date and check every single item. Wednesday I would check deli and cheese and yogurt, Friday was meat and eggs. Scan into SDA and pull anything going bad soon. Normally took 25 minutes to pull the 730s and check those sections. Kept out backroom safe and clean and fresh food on the floor, resolved the out of date problems and bad steritech visits we had been having. First few weeks were rough, but it became easy and routine shortly after i got into the routine. We never had coverage for pfresh to keep the backroom from going out of date and typically backroom TM did not know or care. Having been from market and transferring to backroom, i was able to bridge that gap and help out both sides

I am a PA in Market at my Pfresh store. In terms of zoning at night....if there is a Food Truck the next morning, I have my closers cull and qmos, but not focus on zone too much since it will fill in with the food truck - since they aren't focusing on pfresh zone, they are required to go through and zone all of dry grocery. Vice Versa when there is a GM truck and no food truck the following morning - zone pfresh along with doing qmos and culling and since there is a GM truck, I have them zone up all the endcaps in dry grocery and zone heavily shopped aisles,(cereal, juice, granola bars, etc.)

Of course if there is a walk the next day, they are busting their asses to get everything zoned and "pretty", but I have found that the system we have going on works quite well and by the time the trucks are done and worked, it looks like what they didn't zone, was actually zoned because it fills in so well. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back