Archived Closing LOD expectations...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work in what is considered a low volume Target store. I closed tonight and was handed the store from an ETL who informed me nothing in the store was zoned during the day. Lucikly, by the time I handed off the pulls were somewhat under control. We did the typical hand off walk, informing me of calls ins, where we stood on red cards, etc. and then letting me know nothing was zoned in the store. I am still wondering what in the hell was done during the day?!?

45 minutes later - she walks up and says were getting a district visit tomorrow so the entire store needs a zone. My frustration comes in when all I have is one hardlines team member and one softlines team member to zone the entire store by close. To top that, I did have one other hardlines team, but she was lost to the checklanes because we were so under staffed that I had no choice, but to keep her at the lanes.

Do they expect to get an entire store zoned and looking green with only two sales floor team members??? I guess I had electronics on the floor as well, but taking them out of their department isn't an option. I am 9 months into a Sr. Team Lead position, but I am second guessing this whole job if they expect a great looking store without giving the appropriate resources to make it happen.

Last edited:
That's about par. As sigma said, hit the obvious focal points. I've found that other members, when doing a "zone" for cases like this are making everything nice and neat, pulling all items forward, and straightening up misplaced items. That's good, but when speed and available team members are in limited supply, sacrifices have to be made. Pull enough items forward to cover the facing(s) required. Visitors are mostly looking for two things -- price points and facings. They don't deep check. They don't have time to.

Keep in mind, I'm strictly market and occasionally electronics. I've trained myself to fill all holes for visits, even if that means placing items that don't belong in higher price points just to fill a hole. From a business point of view, you can't sell an empty shelf. Put something on it.

I'd also add that there will probably be quite a few team members tomorrow to help finish the job. They're not shy on spending on payroll the day of a visit. Nothing worse than the GSTL crying about back ups or an electronics TM approaching meal compliance begging for someone to cover their lunch.

I almost forgot...

Learn how to be in at least two places at once. ;)

Your etl will put the blame on you for not having a "green" close at night. District doesn't want excuses, either. It is highly suggested to assume nothing when you come in, unless you walk the floor & then say I am here to your etl.
Srtl job is just an under paid etl, with crazy expectations.

If you were an ETL I would say suck it up buttercup. Stay overnight and get shit green. But since you are hourly I would go with sigma7's recommendation and hit the obvious. First impressions, end caps, make aisles look presentable but not necessarily perfect. Can only do your best.

I work in what is considered a low volume Target store. I closed tonight and was handed the store from an ETL who informed me nothing in the store was zoned during the day. Lucikly, by the time I handed off the pulls were somewhat under control. We did the typical hand off walk, informing me of calls ins, where we stood on red cards, etc. and then letting me know nothing was zoned in the store. I am still wondering what in the hell was done during the day?!?

45 minutes later - she walks up and says were getting a district visit tomorrow so the entire store needs a zone. My frustration comes in when all I have is one hardlines team member and one softlines team member to zone the entire store by close. To top that, I did have one other hardlines team, but she was lost to the checklanes because we were so under staffed that I had no choice, but to keep her at the lanes.

Do they expect to get an entire store zoned and looking green with only two sales floor team members??? I guess I had electronics on the floor as well, but taking them out of their department isn't an option. I am 9 months into a Sr. Team Lead position, but I am second guessing this whole job if they expect a great looking store without giving the appropriate resources to make it happen.
Nothing was zoned? Did they 4x4 after huddle? What about midday?

I am in a low volume Pfresh. You'd better believe even when a visit is not the next day we spend an hour doing 4x4 and midday brings us clear of any CAFs and reshop, plus getting a section of softlines tables folded (if 4x4 was softlines they often hit shoes for midday). Every weekday.

Your higher TLs will always expect miracles. Its how close to the miracle that they are looking at. Your visit is unlikely to happen before open, which means everyone before open will focus on making perfect for the visit. Right up til the second they walk into the building. Then it will be trying to keep in front of them and perfect before they get there.

Endcaps full and impactful, everything off the floor at a minimum. From there hit the first 4-8ft of each aisle. Then the back 4-8ft of each aisle. They seldom leave the racetrack to check aisles unless its to walk the Pfresh valley. Then you can focus on reshop if you have time.

If your team gives you good hustle a free drink from the coolers at the end of the night is a welcome "tip" for the ride home.

How many stores really do midday zones and 4x4's?
My store never zones during the day and 4x4 is always "done" at night.

All you can do is partner the 5 tm's and you that you have and hit the endcaps and do the best you can.
Reward the crap out of them with free movies or food to increase productivity
Keep calm and never stop moving.

We do 4x4s in the morning, but I haven't witnessed a mid-day zone in quite some time; that might have something to do with the constant back-ups come mid-day.

At times like this, there's a tiny tiny part of me that wants to kick my feet up on a desk and say "come and see the store as it is, DTL."

Of course I don't do that. But I've had the thought cross my mind before. I would say we all have.

All you can do is partner the 5 tm's and you that you have and hit the endcaps and do the best you can.
Reward the crap out of them with free movies or food to increase productivity
Keep calm and never stop moving.
Every damn day. Mon-Fri almost without fail, unless there is a major crisis or something. Its what makes your 8hr shift suddenly turn into 5ish hours of work. Hour for 4x4/huddle, 30min-hour for midday, and an hour for your own breaks. Not including backups, helping guests or covering breaks at electronics or the fitting room.

The last time this happened to me, I called the Flow team lead and told him the Flow team had to wave zone a third of the store. I had my closers zone a third of the store, and I came back in the morning and had the team 4x4 the other third.

My STL questioned me about the overtime, and I told her she hired me to make decisons, and I decided the small payroll impact was worth a green visit. She disagreed with my methodology but not the results.

Every damn day. Mon-Fri almost without fail, unless there is a major crisis or something. Its what makes your 8hr shift suddenly turn into 5ish hours of work. Hour for 4x4/huddle, 30min-hour for midday, and an hour for your own breaks. Not including backups, helping guests or covering breaks at electronics or the fitting room.

But I bet your store looks amazing for it. And that I'm jealous of.

But I bet your store looks amazing for it. And that I'm jealous of.
You'd be surprised. It generally means each section A/B/C/D/market/softlines gets done once a week or close to it. RTW tables/reshop gets done at midday. But most of the week it looks like a shabby zone was done.

You'd be surprised. It generally means each section A/B/C/D/market/softlines gets done once a week or close to it. RTW tables/reshop gets done at midday. But most of the week it looks like a shabby zone was done.

Well imagine a store where the only zone that gets done is from 7pm-10 with one SL, one HL and one elec. It's gross.

Well imagine a store where the only zone that gets done is from 7pm-10 with one SL, one HL and one elec. It's gross.
We were living like that before the forced march...I mean 4x4 became a reality. I can still remember when I could work 4pm-10:30pm and have time to fill the floor, push CAFs, do reshop and get from candy down to paper zoned without too much of a push. Every night. I can't get that done now with a full 8hr closing shift. Just too much to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back