Answered Closing registers

I closed a register tonight but no one had ever taught me how to do it. I removed all the cash and put it in a bag but I didn’t put any starting money in it. Did I make a mistake?

Last edited:
I closed a register tonight but no one had ever taught me how to do it. I removed all the cash and put it in a bag but I didn’t put any starting money in it. Did I make a mistake?
Yes it should have start funds if it's a register on the lanes

At my store guest service, SCO, pharmacy and optical all have the money taken out at night but no start funds are put in. The person scheduled for cash office in the morning puts the start funds in those registers before the store opens.

You should ask for protocol at your store. The rules vary slightly by store. At my store we usually have one person who is responsible for closing all the drawers at night. You need to know where to put the money and what to do with the stuff under the drawer (that stuff goes in with the money at my store). Just ask first next time.

At my store guest service, SCO, pharmacy and optical all have the money taken out at night but no start funds are put in. The person scheduled for cash office in the morning puts the start funds in those registers before the store opens.
My store the SCO, pharmacy, and guest service are done by the opening GA. The closing SETL or GA banks the lanes before store close.

My store the SCO, pharmacy, and guest service are done by the opening GA. The closing SETL or GA banks the lanes before store close.
Your registers have money in them overnight ?
‘EMPTY and CLOSED are required at my store.
Final warning #1: for forgetting to empty a till once, and all it had in it was the start funds.
Final warning #2: drawer left open with only change in it.

Back