Closing team

My store is still refusing to give up the term LOD . It is used constantly by nearly everyone. I think the only way it will disappear is if the bigwigs hear it and have a cow.
It was dumb to begin with. Why have one person baby sit everyone? Makes way more sense to have your own lead help you out. There’s not just one person in charge so no Leader in Duty. We’ve gotten rid of the term LOD but now they just say “TL please” so same idea. They still don’t get the whole of your TL is here call them not just any team lead

We have the same leader every weeknight anyway so I just call him out by name, on weekends though I say "leader" because it rotates.
We just have aboard by the time clock and when a a TL or ETL comes in they just write their name on it so the team knows who is here and can call the corresponding TL

Nah I said everyone (TL wise) leaves by 6:30 EXCEPT for the closing TL

OH, I misunderstood. Sorry!

What's this about there no longer being an LOD? Here is the first I've heard of it. What are people supposed to do when asking for the leader on duty over the walkie?

The closing team is supposed to come in 5pm & later. Closing tl comes in at 3pm or 4pm depending on what the store closes. There is more info on workbench about closing tl's & routines.
I have looked and I just can’t find anything other than the job descriptions

What's this about there no longer being an LOD? Here is the first I've heard of it. What are people supposed to do when asking for the leader on duty over the walkie?
When you need something you’re supposed to call for whoever is in that particular department instead of one person having to babysit the whole store. The CTL still does end up babysitting but if you have a service & engagement question for example and the ETL-SE is in the building why call for an “LOD”

We still use the titles that were supposed to disappear with modernization. We have a GSA running the front lanes and an LOD making sure the rest of the store is zoned and stocked. Some of the GSAs bring stuff out to refill or even reset endcaps. If we have “extra” cashiers while open, they put out reshop after cleaning up and zoning the front lanes. Cashiers may also zone up essentials or another section that really needs help. We have one or two closing experts to zone up, but unfortunately one keeps getting pulled into OPU. LOD and other TL’s get sucked into OPU, too. Many times we close up and get out there with the rest of the reshop, help stock essentials, help backstock (some of us bc the seasonals have no clue how the hell to do that). We frequently need to zone up seasonal or baby or softlines needs help.

Grocery has someone closing till 10 most nights, but there must be a TL or someone else because there’s always chatter about the compactor around 10:30?

We usually have closing staff for style, beauty, electronics. Grocery leaves early as previously mentioned. Cart attendants are usually out right at closing.

When you need something you’re supposed to call for whoever is in that particular department instead of one person having to babysit the whole store. The CTL still does end up babysitting but if you have a service & engagement question for example and the ETL-SE is in the building why call for an “LOD”

Oh, my store mostly did that, anyway. For sure with SETL questions, or grocery. But, since we don't have a TL for GM most of the time, who would they call for for escalated help, if not the LOD (either by name, or if you don't know for sure which of the leaders are still in the store, by "LOD")?

They shouldn’t be asking that. They go to their direct leader or that leaders boss. if neither are there then call the leader that is there by name.

Oh, my store mostly did that, anyway. For sure with SETL questions, or grocery. But, since we don't have a TL for GM most of the time, who would they call for for escalated help, if not the LOD (either by name, or if you don't know for sure which of the leaders are still in the store, by "LOD")?
But see, there is no longer an lod (lead on duty) schedule. The leaders no longer take shifts covering the store. So asking for an lod is pointless, there isn’t one.

Same reason a ship has a captain rather than having the officers rule by committee. Someone has to be the final word, the one with the responsibility for how things happen and the one with the authority to change directions depending on circumstances. No actual store leader/manager, mixed messages could and probably do happen regularly and everyone makes different final decisions for circumstances. Customer #1 could get one answer and then overhear Customer #2 getting a different answer to the same situation. That'll get ugly fast.

Except there is...on weekends and since it rotates, I think calling for an LOD is fair.

Not to mention when CL is on lunch. Typically, there's only one TL left to cover, so that literally makes them the LOD. All this talk, for example, if you're a market TM you should go to your market TL..but what if they're not there, etc.

At my store there’s a handful of us. We come in and grab reshop. Then we just work at our own pace. Our closing TL doesn’t really bother us too much. On weekends the SD or ETL that’s closing will check on us every so often. I’ve never felt pressure to get it 100% done but I have A & B side (and paper) so it’s almost impossible to get it 100% zoned and keep up with reshop, especially nights where we have to go up for backup. I do get most of it done though.

But see, there is no longer an lod (lead on duty) schedule. The leaders no longer take shifts covering the store. So asking for an lod is pointless, there isn’t one.

Again, this doesn't really compute. Unless my store is weird. Even though there is one person nominally charged with answering LOD calls, any of the ETLs or closing TLs would answer LOD calls. Maybe it's just semantics, but having "LOD" as a way to call for someone with more authority when you don't know exactly who is on or who is available seems like a reasonable thing. If Corporate wants to get rid of the term, officially, good for them, but good luck getting stores to stop using it because it's, well, useful.

Again, this doesn't really compute. Unless my store is weird. Even though there is one person nominally charged with answering LOD calls, any of the ETLs or closing TLs would answer LOD calls. Maybe it's just semantics, but having "LOD" as a way to call for someone with more authority when you don't know exactly who is on or who is available seems like a reasonable thing. If Corporate wants to get rid of the term, officially, good for them, but good luck getting stores to stop using it because it's, well, useful.
Right before I left they got rid of the term. We were told to call out "leader" on the walkie.

There isn’t a leader of duty anymore. No more of just one person running the show. Makes way more sense

It is a simple thing to do. You have a question about something in Food & Beverage? Call the F&B TL or ETL that’s there. They aren’t there? Then that responsibility becomes that of the SD. If the SD isn’t there either, it goes to the Closing TL. If for some odd reason none of them are there, then any other leader in the building will jump in.

Last edited:
Except there is...on weekends and since it rotates, I think calling for an LOD is fair.
There’s no lod schedule. There is a schedule of etls, but none are designated as leader on duty. Too many people get lod confused with etl. They have different meaning.

It is a simple thing to do. You have a question about something in Food & Beverage? Call the F&B TL or ETL that’s there. They aren’t there? Then that responsibility becomes that of the SD. If the SD isn’t there either, it goes to the Closing TL. If for some odd reason none of them are there, then any other leader in the building will jump in.
And when you have no clue who's in, who's on break and who is handling a particular area or who has authority to do what? When a guest is right there needing something or you've spotted a problem, how many people to you call for before getting the right one? Is it leader lottery?

An actual top manager is best, who can either take care of it or know exactly who should take care of it.

Back