Archived Coaching

Status
Not open for further replies.

r0kudeN4shi

Retail Slavegirl
So today during my shift the ETL that a lot of us don't like called us to the Boat to tell us to stop leaving so many return carts and not taking back stock to the back. Those things are legit, I understand why she would tell us that. However she threatened to coach every single one of us if we did it again. I am wondering, is it okay for an ETL to threaten an entire group of Team Members in a location where guests could have heard her? Because I didn't feel right when she said that. It made me feel like something was wrong? Am I right to be concerned or is this nothing to worry about?

They can do it in public, but not in private. For example, bringing all of you into an office and coaching you together, not acceptable.

There's nothing in the rules that says they can't do that.
In fact it's going to be the best way to let everyone know that they are going to be cracking down of people who don't do their job.
That's how you inform your team, that's what huddles are for, unfortunately guests do wander through them.
In other retail jobs they have the meeting before the store opens to avoid that problem.

Now if she was saying that she would coach all of you if one of you did it and they couldn't figure out who, that's another matter entirely.
That is yet another example of piss poor management practice.
It's like a parent threatening to spank all their kids when a window gets broken because they don't know which one did it.

Last edited:
I know of a Team Lead who got severely reprimanded for a group coaching in an office. The group wasn't zoning fast enough. One of the members left that office crying. If TL's can't do it, why should ETL's?

It was a coaching, not a huddle or informative meeting.

In fact it's going to be the best way to let everyone know that they are going to be cracking down of people who don't do their job.
That's how you inform your team, that's what huddles are for, unfortunately guests do wander through them.
In other retail jobs they have the meeting before the store opens to avoid that problem.

Now if she was saying that she would coach all of you if one of you did it and they couldn't figure out who, that's another matter entirely.
It's like a parent threatening to spank all their kids when a window gets broken because they don't know which one did it.
That is so how it is at my store. By the way, they want us to coach all team members, when the numbers are down. We have to do so separately. I think it is an unfair way to run a team, but if I don't do it, I get coached. We have to micromanage everyone. It sucks royally. :mad:

I don't think anyone should threaten to coach anyone ( be it group or single person) out on the salesfloor when the store is opened . I would think in the OP case the etl could had pulled the group the backroom, fire aisle etc and held her little huddle and say her peace. There is no need to have it out on the salesfloor for everyone to hear .

So today during my shift the ETL that a lot of us don't like called us to the Boat to tell us to stop leaving so many return carts and not taking back stock to the back. Those things are legit, I understand why she would tell us that. However she threatened to coach every single one of us if we did it again. I am wondering, is it okay for an ETL to threaten an entire group of Team Members in a location where guests could have heard her? Because I didn't feel right when she said that. It made me feel like something was wrong? Am I right to be concerned or is this nothing to worry about?
it'd be nice if everything was talked in private areas, but its not always practical to do it. i've heard guest complaints because it was done in the open.

TL, etls cant have it both ways...If you have an issue with them you are suppose to go to them...ask to speak in private...etc etc. If they expect that out of us then they should do the same in return.

She said if anyone and she didn't care who left trash in a cart we all would be coached for it.

She said if anyone and she didn't care who left trash in a cart we all would be coached for it.
Sounds like my store's ETLs. I swear this mentality sucks, but it is the direction the company is going. We are getting to where every tiny mistake leads to coaching or a write up. To err is human, have we forgotten? People make mistakes. I can understand if it is intentional or repetitive. They don't seem to understand during these payroll cuts, something is bound to be left undone. I mean, come on...

In my store ( within the last month) there have been several people coached for their attitude. You may wonder what their bad attitudes consisted of. Well, I know for a fact one was coached because a srtl said she didn't reply to his good morning. The sad thing is the team member in questions speaks very low...so she did reply he just didn't hear her . The same srtl will walk all over the top of people and not speak but when he does...you better reply loud and clear. So, how when he says good morning to anyone..they pretty much shout it back at him. I mean we wouldn't want to be accused of not replying :) Things like this to me are pathetic and it screams...power trip.

Last edited:
That's just rude. It makes me think of a parent scolding a child in public, so others can hear.

You don't need to disrespect people to get your point across. Showing respect and explaining why it's important is much better.

If I'm doing something wrong or can improve, please tell me away from guests ears. It belittles me, makes me rage with anger and takes away my motivation. So sad people would act that way.

When I transferred to my current store, there was an etl there who was all business.

About three days in, I was setting a pog. He walks in at 7am and says "hey, let's try getting A5 set today." Without missing a beat I say "good morning. How are you today?"

Later, I told him a little civility goes a long way.

Okay. ^ That is just a dumbass person, let alone TL, let alone SrTL.
Sadly, he does things like this all the time. He has pulled people in the office because a questions and their reply has a "tone" to it . My favorite was when the etl/ log had a huddle ( the srtl log was not there that day )offstage ....everything went fine until a couple days later. A fellow team member was called in the office ( by the srtl without the etl log being in there...remember he was off the day of the huddle) and told that he was disrespectful during the huddle...the team member asked how...I didn't say anything . The srtl then went on the tell the tm that the etl had told him...that during the huddle the tm looked down at the floor the entire time...thus wasn't engaged and or listening to what she said ...and according to her that was being rude and disrespectful.

Sadly, he does things like this all the time. He has pulled people in the office because a questions and their reply has a "tone" to it . My favorite was when the etl/ log had a huddle ( the srtl log was not there that day )offstage ....everything went fine until a couple days later. A fellow team member was called in the office ( by the srtl without the etl log being in there...remember he was off the day of the huddle) and told that he was disrespectful during the huddle...the team member asked how...I didn't say anything . The srtl then went on the tell the tm that the etl had told him...that during the huddle the tm looked down at the floor the entire time...thus wasn't engaged and or listening to what she said ...and according to her that was being rude and disrespectful.
What the hell is this, the military?

When I transferred to my current store, there was an etl there who was all business.

About three days in, I was setting a pog. He walks in at 7am and says "hey, let's try getting A5 set today." Without missing a beat I say "good morning. How are you today?"

Later, I told him a little civility goes a long way.

I do the same thing too but I usually say "I'm fine, how are you today?"

I love when the ETLs try to act like your mother or father. (rolls eyes)

Yeah that's going to work when most of them are half my age.
And trying to act like you have 'my best interests' at heart won't endear you to me either.
yea I am sure most of the ETLs have a superiority complex. There are two ETLs and 3 SrTLs at my store who are pretty cool though so I can get along pretty well with them.

There is absolutely no excuse for rudeness. So many things would be better if people used basic common courtesy. You , the golden rule kind. I say hello to everyone, and make an effort to remember names and to smile when I see a team member, even if it is one who I know can't stand me. No one has to reply, I don't do it for a response. Some people are just not comfortable with addressing people they don't know.
There is one thing I do react strongly to. If someone touches me when I am not expecting it, I definitely jump . So I guess everyone has quirks. But really, there is never a reason to embarrass or hurt someone deliberately. Counter productive and just plain bad manners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back