Coachings for G.U.E.S.T.

I guess our last huddle was on inventory day in October in that's when we were given assignments, but our last official huddle was when they officially announced modernization in April 2019.

Daily 9:00-10:00 huddles here, mandatory attendance for all.
There are some that try to avoid - sometimes they get away with skipping.
A push party in a different department each day.

We haven't had huddles since a month or so into the pandemic when we stopped for social distancing reasons. I sort of miss them, they were basically a free 10 minute break.

push party is like anti-everything target is rolling out right now. I almost guarantee district leadership doesn't know about that one.

GUEST is being heavily stressed to us team leads right now - re-teaching the team on it, rating team members on it, statusing about the status of your team members and how they are performing in regards to GUEST (I know.... I know.)

Also don't know if this is a district thing but they're bringing back rating Team Members red-yellow-green on like every dbo aspect, and then on Guest, and etc.

Waste of my time honestly but I play along and be enthusiastic about it, such is the life

Getting enormous push back from tm’s that they will not finish work if they talk to every guest and also that guests are starting to be annoyed with 14
“hi’s “ around the store - they want to be left alone.
One shopper complained that she felt ‘threatened’, asked “why everyone was watching her shop” and “was she targeted as a potential thief ?” Because of all the attention on her !

I can't understand why retail corporations always come up with these "harass the customers" policies. There must be some studies somewhere that suggest that shoppers want this attention, but I'm here to say that those studies are flawed.

Nothing drives me out of a store faster than being bombarded with "Did you need help finding something?" or "Today's sales are by x and get x free" and "three for 20 hand lotions". Speaking as a customer, I say leave me alone, I will let you know if I need help!

One shopper complained that she felt ‘threatened’, asked “why everyone was watching her shop” and “was she targeted as a potential thief ?” Because of all the attention on her !
That's exactly what I think when I get bombarded in a store. All I ask of a store is, keep the shelves full, the lines short, shelf prices accurate and someone around in case I need help on occasion.

This is really meant to get the "pass off" mentality under Check. Just cause you don't usually work furniture for instance, doesn't mean you can't help the guest! If the TM is not comfortable with lifting/backroom ect, they can still check a price, check if in back, or ask for help. TM's that pass off guests are not worth keeping! Those are the real ones that need the performance conversations!

If Spot leadership stopped wasting so much time pushing quotas for undeserved coachings for every minuscule little nit-picking infraction and actually used that time and effort to to do something constructive like help fill the shelves the guests would be a lot happier than they are now being hassled at every turn by yet another TM trying to avoid being coached. It might even keep the guests in the store long enough to buy more stuff if they could shop in peace and find a shelf full of what they came in for.

This is really meant to get the "pass off" mentality under Check. Just cause you don't usually work furniture for instance, doesn't mean you can't help the guest! If the TM is not comfortable with lifting/backroom ect, they can still check a price, check if in back, or ask for help. TM's that pass off guests are not worth keeping! Those are the real ones that need the performance conversations!

Unless, you're in fulfillment. The GUEST rules for fulfillment TMs state they are only supposed actually help the guest if they can do so quickly. Otherwise, they should pass off to another TM. They are supposed to greet every guest, which is still laughable.

Yup, I end up helping in furniture, toys, seasonal, sporting goods, hba, grocery. The only place I can't help at all? Beauty or style.

If you catch me while I'm lugging two 22"X48" shelves and a giant nail puzzle of fencing and crossbars and furniture safety arms, I'm passing you off.

I always hate when guests stop you to ask something and then apologize when you set everything down to assist. Like what did they think I was going to do- hold all that shit while I help them?!

Didnt we stop the CIHYFS crap because guests complained that they didnt like being constantly harrassed by multiple tms. Thats all this is going to turn into. Granted we should greet guests and be approachable but greeting every guest you see is overkill. Im not going to bother anyone i see that is obviously just trying to get stuff they need. I just try to be polite and approachable.
To answer your question though, no my store is not pdd'ing everyone that doesn't follow guest, atleast in GM.

The GUEST video training I remember taking a couple months ago didn't stress speaking to everyone, so has it changed? The training before said we should be looking for clues as to whether a guest needs help and make sure they knew we were there and "smile with our eyes" and stuff like that rather than actually greeting everyone (particularly those that don't look like they want to talk to anyone).

I can't understand why retail corporations always come up with these "harass the customers" policies. There must be some studies somewhere that suggest that shoppers want this attention, but I'm here to say that those studies are flawed.

Nothing drives me out of a store faster than being bombarded with "Did you need help finding something?" or "Today's sales are by x and get x free" and "three for 20 hand lotions". Speaking as a customer, I say leave me alone, I will let you know if I need help!
This is why I like the idea that some stores have in other countries to deal with this. They have hand baskets in two colors next to a sign. One color means you want to be left alone, the other color means you will want/need assistance.

This is why I like the idea that some stores have in other countries to deal with this. They have hand baskets in two colors next to a sign. One color means you want to be left alone, the other color means you will want/need assistance.

That is an interesting concept. It would involve guests actually reading though. This is the same store where people drag the hand basket holder around.

The GUEST video training I remember taking a couple months ago didn't stress speaking to everyone, so has it changed? The training before said we should be looking for clues as to whether a guest needs help and make sure they knew we were there and "smile with our eyes" and stuff like that rather than actually greeting everyone (particularly those that don't look like they want to talk to anyone).
Exactly!!! GUEST has been a huge emphasis for our cart cleaner and TSS to the point that it is literally a job interference. The requirement to know and push at minimum 3 different promotions and push at least one to every guest as they enter the store as they are greeted with a smize. Guests are clearly annoyed, particularly if they are return shoppers. The U in GUEST is for "understand"... allow the tm to assess whether or not the guest wants to be approached! I've heard the SETL criticize the cleaner because they weren't "seen talking to the guest", but the SETL was at SCO. They are handing out "scripts" for what is literally a maximum of 20 second encounter. It's getting out of hand. So far, other tm's throughout the store do not have these expectations, but it's probably coming. If nothing else, they'll get their turn when the cleaners and TSS quit because they are being tormented over this and someone else gets scheduled to cover those shifts. The cleaners have already begun to call in more frequently.

That was my takeaway, too. It seems leadership got a completely different program...

The cleaners have already begun to call in more frequently.
So far I have not been hassled (knock on wood) about GUEST...though I can see why they would start to, given the cleaner is supposed to only have the one job. I hope they keep not hassling me.

It would be nice if they'd stop pulling the cleaner for stuff. I have started doing the mask table recently and inevitably someone will be like "pull the cleaner for cashier/GS/OPU/etc" and I'm always back to carts AND masks. Feels like I can't escape it even for a second lol

They want you to change your gloves in between wiping carts and handing out masks. You go through a LOT of gloves if you're doing both...

Back