College availability

Hello,
So I was recently hired as an outbound TM at a dc and was curious as to if HR will work around my college schedule when I start in January? I also got a second part time job at UPS and it seems like a struggle to even let them work around that so that’s why I was questioning if they would.
thank you!

Hello,
So I was recently hired as an outbound TM at a dc and was curious as to if HR will work around my college schedule when I start in January? I also got a second part time job at UPS and it seems like a struggle to even let them work around that so that’s why I was questioning if they would.
thank you!
Yes education schedule exceptions exist. But know that they are "okay lets find a time where you can come in to make up the hours you miss" and not, "you just work less hours". Some guys will come in/stay later. Some will come in on a day they would ordinarily have off.

Also, you need to prove the class you are trying to get a schedule exception for is not avaialble during a time you arent working. If you have two options, one available outside of work hours and one during, they will not accommodate because you chose the one that is during your work schedule.

If you didnt know Target provides free education for almost everything. If you arent too far in to whatever you are studying, you mignt want to hold off until you can talk to HR and figure out getting a degree for free.

If you’re under 90 days they probably aren’t going to work with you, especially if it’s for another job.
Once you’re over 90 days, they’ll work with you (within reason) for school, childcare, etc on a temporary basis. If it’s a situation that you’ll never be able to work the shift you were hired for (ie. A part time job with conflicting hours), then there is going to be an issue.

Hello,
thank you!
I wouldn’t even mention the 2nd job. They’ll consider it a conflict of interest and it could mean your job

They won't give you a schedule exemption for a second job. You're expected to be available on days off for mandatory OT, and it's certainly better to just pick up voluntary OT rather than working a second job unless you absolutely need to work 60+ hours per week.

Back