Archived Comp Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't they send their people to our stores?
Seems like it's pretty much understood that everybody does it and it's all good.

Question: I'm new to comp shop, what happens if you get kicked out?

If you get kicked out..... you leave... then a few hours later you go back! However DO NOT EVER let them take or give them the PDA. My Comp Shopper had this happen a few weeks ago. A manager demanded the Comp Shop PDA before she left and she refused (Per company and my direction), she called me and Myself, our STL and the ETL-GE/SL went right over to Walmart and had a conversation with the Store Manager. The Assistant manager that was giving my comp shopper a hard time no longer works with "Big BLue"... The looks we got, when we walked into "Big Blue" with Red and Kaki was priceless......

Don't they send their people to our stores?
Seems like it's pretty much understood that everybody does it and it's all good.

Yeah, they have several comp shoppers that come to my store. I always make sure to say hi to them and seek out whats on there comp shop list. Comp. Shop isn't illegal. pretty much every retailer has a mutual understanding, but some think they are mightier then the rest.

Not Comp Shop, but a number of weeks ago we had a group of like 8 people in our store from some other retailer looking at our signs and taking pictures until we stopped them. It was kind of funny how they missed some of the concepts, they had decided red signs indicated clearance and yellow indicated sale prices... After they were hanging around for a bit our STL had everyone in the store go and guest service them in a period of about 10 minutes or so, just every few seconds, "Hi, can I help you find something?". It was pretty hilarious.

At wegmans, they ask you to ck in for comp shopping. That makes sense to me. That way, they know who is shopping them.

The times I was told to 'cease & desist' or leave usually came down from a lower-level tier. The higher-ups usually left us alone.
Certain dept assocs would harass me but I'd just wait & go back that night.
One of their compers would leave a basket of perishables dripping in an aisle so we'd guest-service the he11 out of her.

At wegmans, they ask you to ck in for comp shopping. That makes sense to me. That way, they know who is shopping them.

I was told we had to check in at Wally World when I was trained, so I always signed in. I know other comp shoppers at my store didn't, but I always made sure I did.

The store I shopped was so huge that if they started getting mad at me, I'd go to another part of the store. Good exercise. :)

Long time lurker, first time posting :)

I started Comp Shop this week...my third time going I got kicked out. A worker in HBA stopped me, asked what I was doing. I just said "I'm working" (I was warned to say as little as possible) and they whipped out their walkie so fast I thought I was going to get whacked with it! "WE HAVE A TARGET COMPPER! TARGET COMPPER!!" They repeatedly asked for the manager to come over (who never did) but the assistant manager came over. All while I just continued to work...then the assistant manager pretty much yelled at me...I told them I was just doing my job and he said he'd have me "removed from the store, get out."

Any tips on how to deal with people like this? The TM that was doing it before I started it said she was getting booted every time.

Also, I had like ZERO training. I'm pretty lost too.

Greetings and salutations sailorcrys.

Our comp says that the best thing is to go to the management the first time you go in, introduce yourself and ask where you can sign in, than everyday when you go in, sign in accordingly.
As long as you are polite and act totally professional there shouldn't any problems.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing all of this information! I have been trying to help my PATL understand comp shop to help the comp shop team members, however, I have to admit that isn't something that Target trains it's ETLs and it isn't in the hands-on training either. This helps alot! Thank you!

I also think the time matters too. When ours goes in at 6 or 8am she's fine but I can imagine they wouldn't want her there at like the noon rush or when they are super busy

Our comp says that the best thing is to go to the management the first time you go in, introduce yourself and ask where you can sign in, than everyday when you go in, sign in accordingly.
As long as you are polite and act totally professional there shouldn't any problems.

This. When compers from other stores come to my store, they have to sign in.

We don't have sign-ins (nor does the Walmart that we comp) but, the last time I was bounced, my STL called their store to speak to their mgnmt. I was left alone after that.

I also think the time matters too. When ours goes in at 6 or 8am she's fine but I can imagine they wouldn't want her there at like the noon rush or when they are super busy

Actually, the super busy times are when I tend to blend in the most! ;)

Long time lurker, first time posting :)

I started Comp Shop this week...my third time going I got kicked out. A worker in HBA stopped me, asked what I was doing. I just said "I'm working" (I was warned to say as little as possible) and they whipped out their walkie so fast I thought I was going to get whacked with it! "WE HAVE A TARGET COMPPER! TARGET COMPPER!!" They repeatedly asked for the manager to come over (who never did) but the assistant manager came over. All while I just continued to work...then the assistant manager pretty much yelled at me...I told them I was just doing my job and he said he'd have me "removed from the store, get out."

Any tips on how to deal with people like this? The TM that was doing it before I started it said she was getting booted every time.

Also, I had like ZERO training. I'm pretty lost too.

Things that help me:

I shop with a cart. Sometimes I pop random things in there, sometimes it's items that I need to price check. I ALWAYS put the cart and everything back where I found it.

If I go down an aisle with where there's a walmart employee, I usually turn around and go somewhere else. Sometimes I get asked by an associate if I need help. I always smile and politely reply "no thanks." If the place is crawling with employees, they are doing a reset, etc, I'll try another section. I've kinda figured out when certain sections get worked on/stocked so I know when to avoid them.

I also try to scan products with my pda on the down low. Never in front of a walmart employee and never a walmart brand product.

I also used to sign in at the beginning but I don't anymore.

As for training, go into workbench and search for comp shop training manual. Print it out. It should give you a good overview.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back