Archived Comparisons

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been about 4 days since I left spot for my new job. Today was orientation, and this orientation is followed by 9 weeks of training (this place hires the best, thus they train the best, you know that whole speech and such). But let me go back to orientation. Never in an orientation have I felt like this new workplace could be pretty fun, until now! In this orientation jokes were made, atmosphere was talked about, forms were filled out, etc.... One thing that separates this place from others I have worked in, is they have a couple more amenities for us to use rather than say Target had. Dress code was what really threw me for a loop. Since this is a full time position, I thought it would be slacks and polo's daily, but nope it is basically an atmosphere, where they want you to feel comfortable (just no baggy clothes or offensive things on t-shirts). So I can finally wear some jeans to work,for the first time in 2 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Perhaps I am just a bit too excited about that lol. I can already tell that this place is high in morale and really respects its workers. As an added bonus, I feel pretty offical with my own security badge :excited:
So here's to 9 weeks of training and passing it!

So anyone else have orientations they have been more inspiring or other places of work that have been far better than working at Spot?

It has been about 4 days since I left spot for my new job. Today was orientation, and this orientation is followed by 9 weeks of training (this place hires the best, thus they train the best, you know that whole speech and such). But let me go back to orientation. Never in an orientation have I felt like this new workplace could be pretty fun, until now! In this orientation jokes were made, atmosphere was talked about, forms were filled out, etc.... One thing that separates this place from others I have worked in, is they have a couple more amenities for us to use rather than say Target had. Dress code was what really threw me for a loop. Since this is a full time position, I thought it would be slacks and polo's daily, but nope it is basically an atmosphere, where they want you to feel comfortable (just no baggy clothes or offensive things on t-shirts). So I can finally wear some jeans to work,for the first time in 2 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Perhaps I am just a bit too excited about that lol. I can already tell that this place is high in morale and really respects its workers. As an added bonus, I feel pretty offical with my own security badge :excited:
So here's to 9 weeks of training and passing it!

So anyone else have orientations they have been more inspiring or other places of work that have been far better than working at Spot?

Careful filmer88..... Once you leave Target don't let other people know how great another employer can be. Pretty soon you're going to be treated like me - accused of "being negative" for trying to let people know there are jobs out there besides Target and how great it is once you get out.

But, I suspect you will learn what I have learned.... you really can't understand how badly Target screws you over until you work for a good employer. I thought I understood when I was still working at Target, but I really had no idea just how bad it was until I actually experienced something else. So telling people really doesn't work. Some people are in denial, and the people who aren't really don't understand how different it can be until they experience it....

P.S. Make sure to go and visit your old ETLs who tried to talk you out of leaving. Make sure to let them know you need help finding something, and ask them to take you to it. On the way, make sure to talk to them about how great it is to have an awesome job.

Last edited:
Oh how I would love to just rub it in their faces lol. But seriously I am not trying be negative or even have my post taken as negative. This was jus to simply inform others. But I get where you are coming from SOT

Careful filmer88..... Once you leave Target don't let other people know how great another employer can be. Pretty soon you're going to be treated like me - accused of "being negative" for trying to let people know there are jobs out there besides Target and how great it is once you get out.

cmon i don't think anyone necessarily considers you negative for saying other employers are great. Most people get that. What i think, and assume others may as well, is that after you left, you suddenly started making alot of posts on here defending ETLs. I dunno just my perception of it, and I never understood the reasoning behind it.

cmon i don't think anyone necessarily considers you negative for saying other employers are great. Most people get that. What i think, and assume others may as well, is that after you left, you suddenly started making alot of posts on here defending ETLs. I dunno just my perception of it, and I never understood the reasoning behind it.

Sometimes I defend ETLs and sometimes I don't. For example, the ETL-HR that handed keys to someone off the clock and then wrote that TM up was obviously intending to set her up. But if someone is saying something nuts like "the LOD should be working right next to us physically helping us with our work during their shift", then yea I am going to side with the ETL.

The problem is, there seem to be a lot of people that don't have any common sense that post here. They are either 100% on the side of ETLs or 100% on the side of TMs no matter what the situation. You have a situation like the ETL-HR handing keys to a TM off the clock and telling her "oh, remember not to work off the clock".... then writing her up for working off the clock. Yet you have people trying to defend the ETL-HR "Oh, maybe she really thought you were on the clock"... when it is clearly a textbook setup. That is what I find frustrating.

I think if someone posted "Hey, today my ETL posted all my corrective action papers on the wall so every TM could see them" - there would be people on here trying to defend the ETL. At the same time, if someone on here posted "Hey, I am a TM and today I stole my ETLs keys and took them home" - there would be people trying to defend the TM.

Just obvious common sense things people try to defend...

But, I suspect you will learn what I have learned.... you really can't understand how badly Target screws you over until you work for a good employer. I thought I understood when I was still working at Target, but I really had no idea just how bad it was until I actually experienced something else. So telling people really doesn't work. Some people are in denial, and the people who aren't really don't understand how different it can be until they experience it....

P.S. Make sure to go and visit your old ETLs who tried to talk you out of leaving. Make sure to let them know you need help finding something, and ask them to take you to it. On the way, make sure to talk to them about how great it is to have an awesome job.

Sheesh I know how you feel... I don't even mention how much better my employer is than target, I just mention that I work elsewhere and I get attacked :/

And I get told that "this is a place for target employees... blah blah blah" Well I USED to work at target, but yet I still get labeled as a negative troublemaker. I just don't get it. I was informed that this was for current AND former employees but it seems more and more they're trying to push those of us who aren't anymore out the door... Very, how should I say, Target like?

It's not that we have a problem with former members coming by here, we have dozens of members who are no longer with Target who still visit these boards and offer their help on matters. What we have a hard time with is when it seems former members actively seek to bring up every negative comment they can, be argumentative and use the opportunity as a recruitment tool for their new source of gainful employment.

I've been in the rat race for years before I got my SFT position, I know how it can be at times. Need to vent? We all do at times, but if that is all you do here don't act surprised when it rubs people the wrong way. Want to remind people that there is work outside of Target? That's fine too and I tell people as much, just not to the point of looking to sabotage it somehow, which it can appear so to others. Feel that someone is misguided on a subject? Make your statement as such in as respectful a manner as possible and move on, don't keep escalating the argument trying to prove your point, it only helps to blur the true purpose of the discussion on both sides.

To add my 2 cents, I personally like reading Stateoftarget's comments... I don't see his opinion as someone trying to belittle others. He simply puts things into perspective. Being that I too was with Target for nearly half a decade (LOL!), I was so caught up in the world of target (future pc game?) that I couldn't imagine a life outside of spot. Then an opportunity came along, and I had to take it. Once I got out into the "real world" (lol), I realized that Target's little "culture" and "brand" appearance wasn't all it was cut out to be. In the "real world," nobody cares about any of that.. it's all about getting the job done and being able to socialize with people. I learned a lot, worked on my development, and took my talents elsewhere. Target's #1 opportunity (lol) is RETENTION OF TALENT!! So many amazing people get fed-up with the ole' bait & switch the company likes to do (tease you with promotional opportunities) that I decided to put matters into my own hands (like stateoftarget mentioned on a post) and sent my resume elsewhere. I was able to nail my interviews (PS, nobody else has stupid interview questions like target) and finally began my career. Target helped me along the way, but they need some serious work in retaining talent. Without the people that go above and beyond the expectations, the company is no different than lets say... Wally World. My 2 cents.

I guess my problem with being reminded that there is 'life outside of Target' is that I worked for more than thirty years outside of Target so I'm perfectly aware, thank you.
I'm doing retail again because it's whats available in my area and it pays the bill (sort of).
That said I'm happy for the folks who get out, it gives me hope.
Not always a fan of having it rubbed in but I understand the temptation.
We all have distinct personalities here, some a bit sharper than others.
It's always best not to take anything said on a forum personally.

Oh how I would love to just rub it in their faces lol. But seriously I am not trying be negative or even have my post taken as negative. This was jus to simply inform others. But I get where you are coming from SOT
Congrats filmer88...have fun.

I had some fun times ti get my present job. Intensive interview. A month later they called me about doing a detailed background check. Then I was fingerprinted and was given a polygraph (it was the interviewer's job to make me the worst piece of scum in the world), then they froze the position for a month because of a budget crisis. But after 6 months of waiting, I got my job. Then at my employee orientation, it was all about ergonomic lifespan of chairs, sexual harrasment policies, blood-borne pathogens, and a history lesson of my job.

WOW! that is very extensive buliSBI, mind if I ask what kind of job it is?

Congrats filmer88...have fun.

I had some fun times ti get my present job. Intensive interview. A month later they called me about doing a detailed background check. Then I was fingerprinted and was given a polygraph (it was the interviewer's job to make me the worst piece of scum in the world), then they froze the position for a month because of a budget crisis. But after 6 months of waiting, I got my job. Then at my employee orientation, it was all about ergonomic lifespan of chairs, sexual harrasment policies, blood-borne pathogens, and a history lesson of my job.

Wow, I hope they pay well after what you had to go through just to get started. No corny anti-union video? :D

I think a perfect example of why people find you negative is that last little comment you made. Your attitude is poor and you are a petty person if you would find the need to go back to an old job and rub your success in someones face. If you're in a greener pasture, why would you feel the need to even look back? Unless of course you were a douche bag.

I think a perfect example of why people find you negative is that last little comment you made. Your attitude is poor and you are a petty person if you would find the need to go back to an old job and rub your success in someones face. If you're in a greener pasture, why would you feel the need to even look back? Unless of course you were a douche bag.

<sigh> The reason I made that suggestion (if you bothered to read what happened to filmer88 before he left his store) was that an ETL treated him like he was trash before he left. If an ETL rubs their degree/job in your face, I say it is fair game to do the same to them once you move up in the world.

It might be fair game, but it sure diesn't do any purpose to leave the world a slightly better place than we found it. Sometimes it's just better to take the high road and get your revenge by living well.

It might be fair game, but it sure diesn't do any purpose to leave the world a slightly better place than we found it. Sometimes it's just better to take the high road and get your revenge by living well.

The problem with that is that filmer88's ETLs will likely continue to treat TMs like that. Once he gets the tables turned on him he will probably reconsider what he is doing.

Alright let me clear up this little misunderstanding. To give you a little review of what happened. My ETL-LOG (my main boss) has considered me one his hardest workers, and for that I respected him and such as a leader (or whatever you wanna call them nowadays). When word got around that I was leaving Spot, he talked to me about a week after I put in my two weeks notice and began to talk to me about my new job. I had planned to tell him nothing, but he kind of caught me off guard that if I just didn't answer it would have seemed rude (I'm not a rude person by any means, IMO). When I had told him where I was going he had made a comment that I didn't find was very "brand". That made me lose some respect for him, that he would belittle my achievement of moving up like that. Anyways, I didn't let it really bother me, in fact I haven't given it a second thought until now, and still it doesn't matter anymore. With that being said, I bear no il-will towards My ETL-LOG or to the rest of management for that matter. I was in the same plaza of my old store this week actually, but that was just to get a quick bite to eat at one of the restaurants in the area, I feel like a visit would be too soon at this point lol.

UPDATE: However, to give you an update on my new job, I think I will really like it, I still have more training ahead of me (for the type of position I have been hired for, I have to be knowledgable of a lot of different components). But even training is fun. It sounds silly but we do activities to help us learn and even though it doesn't seem professional, it directly correlates to the training curriculum, so bottom line, it's fun!

There you go, filmer. You handled it in a very professional manner. Glad to hear you're enjoying the new job. Best of luck to you!

And R.E.M. had it right - Living Well Is the Best Revenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back