Archived Compliance warning for 3 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after 5 months of really enjoying my time at Target I got written up because I clocked out 3 minutes after my 5 hours. I'm the sort of person that goes the extra mile every day and am constantly receiving praise from the very person who authorized the written warning. I will manage the SCO area singlehandedly, keeping all machines gleaming and filled with bags while organizing carts at the entrance/exit and using the non powered vacuum cleaner to keep the entrance clean at the same time. I roam the cashier areas for stray baskets and remove them as well as emptying the overflowing "Go Back" trays when I have a spare minute.

When I do Guest Service I can be seen cleaning the walls and fountain area as well as creating and maintaining a spotless environment in Guest Service (not just the front end, but also the back area that often looks like a war zone. I accept every call to cover a missing team member shift and never say no to a team lead to jump in for extra time. I always have a big smile and a welcome for guests and team members.

Now I feel as if my Dick got slapped and the honeymoon is over. Is this normal guys, I mean getting written up for not leaving on the dot?

Doesn't matter who you are. If you go to lunch late, they'll get ya. Target can be forced to pay massive fines if an audit is ever done, so this is their way of making sure that doesn't happen.

It's like pullmonkey said they get hit with huge fines so they don't play around with that. If you're even 2.5 milliseconds over they will write you up. That's why at our store we're told to go on our fifth hour and the longer you push closer to 6 the pissier they get.

Last edited:
I got coached twice for it & I was told there'd better not be a third.

I shall be leaving my work area 5 minutes before the end of my shift, without fail, in future. Damn right about that!

I thought it was after your sixth hour, not your fifth?

I thought it was after your sixth hour, not your fifth?
It is which is why we encourage you to go before you hit your 6th hour. If you even go a second over 6 hours without a lunch you are in compliance.

Some states it's five hours, others it's six.
Either way, it's up to the TM to keep an eye on the time & give yourselves at least 15 minutes to get to the timeclock (allowing for being stopped by guests asking questions).
If you have problems keeping track, set an alarm on your phone or your watch; again, giving yourself time to finish up what you're working on & to notify your TL or whomever that you are approaching compliance.

I've seen great team members fired for this. It's 5 hours at California Targets, which is strange because CA meal laws clearly state 6 hours.

Target gets charged (in my state, may be higher or lower depending on yours) $2,400 for every compliance. The state I started in fired you after 3.

My ETL-GE said that Target can be fined up to $10,000 for every compliance violation, but I might have heard wrong or it might vary by state or something.

im always gone by 30 before. 6 hours, or even 5 is too long, i git cranky and want my food lol

To avoid any future problems I have started leaving my work station 5 minutes before end of shift. I have curbed my enthusiasm, but still focus on doing the job well. I think that's how the game is played. Thank goodness it's not a career for me, just a paid hobby.

I got coached for being one minute into compliance!!! I really push it sometimes but I finally got dinged! So ??:59 is ok but ??:01 isn't!

I don't know why people expect sympathy or some sort of Target Bashing when they were told in orientation to always clock out before the 5th/6th hour of work.

It's pretty shitty of them to schedule shifts that are exactly the length of time as it takes to hit meal compliance.

If you were scheduled for 6 hours at my store (the # of hours to hit compliance) you would take a meal, so I don't see why this is an issue. Otherwise the closest shift was 5.50 hours, giving 30 minutes to get out of there (plenty).

If your store tells you NOT to take a Meal for a 6 hour shift, then you better communicate with the LOD that you'll need to leave at least 15 minutes early so you don't hit compliance. I've never seen an LOD tell someone to not take a meal for a 6 hour shift though. Honestly I've never seen that many 6 hour shifts scheduled, usually 6.50 hours or more.

Compliance is nothing personal. Since the time clock's the one tattling, not another tm, there's no looking the other way. A Sr.TL and LOD got coached for compliance.
I try to send myself (or get myself sent) around the fifth hour mark (6 hr store).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back